[DEVELOPER DISCUSSION] One Room Round Robin 2 (SPOILERS)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
SpiderFighter

[DEVELOPER DISCUSSION] One Room Round Robin 2 (SPOILERS)

Post by SpiderFighter »

NOTE: This project has been released! See The One Room Round Robin 2 [Release & Discussion].

We're finally here!

This is open to anybody, so don't be shy; just jump on in!

It looks like this is what we'll be doing this time around (if I miss anything (or you'd like a change), please let me know; a lot of ideas have been flying around):

The Details:
  • 9x9x3 (x,y,z) rooms. A big Woot! and thanks to Diarmuid, who is designing the layout and hub:
    Image / Image / Image

(For further info, see this post.).

Every four rooms, the player will need three keys to progress. This will allow for non-linear play (so nobody gets stuck), while still ensuring most rooms get played.

File transfers will be done through dropbox (no signup needed). If you are coming on board and would like to join dropbox, please PM an email link to me so that I can invite you to the ORRR2 group. This will also let you leave notes (via .txt files) to the group that you may not want in this thread (spoilers, for example).

We will be using the Temple Wallset, with Phitt's Cozy Dungeon assets (to start with).

Added by Diarmuid: By default, the entrance of each room is in the middle level. But if your design requires you to enter the room on the bottom or top level, we can accomodate that. Also, the boundaries of the rooms are really just that, boundaries to show the limits to use. Please don't feel constrained by that, rooms do not have to be square at all, be creative beyond the square. (9x9x3 is the limit, however -SF)
The Rules:
  • You may add any new content you'd like. You may do anything you'd like. It's your room (please keep in mind that we need to keep the file size under 100Megs). Also, please post (in this thread) any custom assets you have added, so that we can keep track.

Keep it realistically playable.

Place a text outside your room with your name on it (such as "So-and-so's Room"). You may give your room a title, with your name underneath, if you'd like. You do NOT need to fill all three floors of your room! Any leftover areas will be used for secrets at the end. Alternatively, you may designate a floor of your room as a secret area (just let us know).

Once you are finished with your section, export it and run it from within the game to make sure everything is working as you intended (remember though, that you are sending the raw files back to me, not the exported map.). At the very least, any problems that may arise from not running a proper test slows down our progress and prevents another mapper from doing a proper test of his area.

When you are done with your room, you may upload it back to the dropbox (if you're not a member, email it to me at cinemaspinladygaga@yahoo.com (just remove the name of this person) or upload it to any file sharing site you'd like and PM the link to me. Once you've returned the files, post in this thread, so the next person can get ready. Remember to post any custom assets you have added, so that we can keep track. If your name is coming up and you're going to be busy/out of town, etc. please let us know so we can adjust the list.
Contributers:
  • Project Lead: Diarmuid

Designers:
    Aaneton
    Ancylus
    Billick
    Boyflea
    Ciccipicci
    Diarmuid
    Drakkan
    Isaac
    jKos
    John Wordsworth
    Kuningas
    Leki
    Mahric
    Myblade
    Neikun
    Ryeath & Elizabeth Greystalk
    Skuggasveinn
    SpiderFighter
    The Cube
    TSotP
    Xanathar
Last edited by SpiderFighter on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 62 times in total.
JohnWordsworth

Re: [SIGNUP / DISCUSS] One Room Round Robin 2!

Post by JohnWordsworth »

I would like to be in please! Very excited for this to kick off again.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Kuningas

Post by Kuningas »

I'm in like Donkey King!

There is nothing in all of the Northern Realms and beyond to keep me from participating in this.

EDIT: Room number doesn't matter -- put me where you want!
Last edited by Kuningas on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BASILEUS
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

I call room 8! :D
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Leki

Post by Leki »

I'm in. Room 16, please.
I'm the Gate I'm the Key.
Dawn of Lore
Ryeath_Greystalk

Post by Ryeath_Greystalk »

I would like to participate also.
The upper right room (10 on the image) would work for me.
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

It's great to see everyone jumping on this! I've updated the OP with pictures of the first two maps (each are three levels deep, remember), so that people can see what they are claiming. In the case of multiple people claiming the same area, the first one who calls it, gets it. If we get more than 16 designers, I'll upload more images.

And I'll claim Room 2, so that players' expectations aren't too high when they get to mine! :D
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Thanks for the heads up SpiderFighter re: calling room numbers. I'll take room #3 then if nobody else has called it already! :)
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

I like number 5 please :D
EDIT - I am going to use thomsons GUI scripting for dialogues (it has about 4mb) + many custom images
Last edited by Drakkan on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
Diarmuid

Post by Diarmuid »

Ideally, I'd like a room on the third floor. No need for TV, but if there's a jacuzzi... Do we serve continental breakfast?

(Seriously, I'll reserve 15 for now, and let it go if we get past 16 designers and 3rd level opens up).

EDIT: Something I'd like to add to spider_fighters explanations:

By default, the entrance of each room is in the middle level. But if your design requires you to enter the room on the bottom or top level, we can accomodate that.

Also, the boundaries of the rooms are really just that, boundaries to show the limits to use. Please don't feel constrained by that, rooms do not have to be square at all, be creative beyond the square.