Level 5 Hallways - door sequence (spoilers)

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
dbbolton

Level 5 Hallways - door sequence (spoilers)

Post by dbbolton »

I have been able to open the locked door near the platform puzzle on Level 5 (the one with two buttons and a lever), but strangely I can't find the sequence that will open it on the first try.

According to GameBanshee, the sequence is "pull lever down, press right-hand button, pull lever up, press left-hand button." But this is almost certainly not correct. Every time I was able to open the door, the last four moves were right, down, up, left. However, if I reload to the point before I pressed and buttons, this exact sequence will not work.

It seems that you must go around pressing buttons at random for awhile before you can enter the sequence to open the door. I find this very odd, and I am wondering if anyone has found the exact sequence that will open the door on the first cycle.

Toorum's note says that he did 3 things and left the lever up, but I don't think the 3 moves part is right either.

Edit: I think I may have figured it out. If you do my sequence (r,d,u,l) exactly four times, the door will open, so either this is the sequence or it contains the sequence. I also thought maybe each button had to be pressed a certain number of times, so I tried pressing each button 12, 16, 20, 24, and 28 times before doing my sequence, but that didn't work. I think you have to do the sequence four times.

The "simplest" sequence that I have found to work is as follows:

Code: Select all

right button x8, lever x 8, left button
Without access to the source, it's hard to say exactly how this puzzle works.
Komag

Re: Level 5 Hallways - door sequence (spoilers)

Post by Komag »

If you download my remake of the original game with the source files you can see my notes on this puzzle and the EXACT mechanism that makes it work :)

the right button must be pressed first to activate the puzzle, then the lever must be toggled at least seven times (down,up is two toggles), but end in the up position (so eight times if you start out not having touched it yet), and then push the left button
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play