Mods of classic games

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
mishRa

Mods of classic games

Post by mishRa »

I am following with great interest the growing number of mods, which classic dungeon crawler have a role model. Whether it's "Eye of the Dragon" which is based only on the model or "Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep Sewers", which claims to be looked detailed as possible to approach the template.
I find the idea intriguing. Many a time I have been thinking that it would still be worth playing it, to be implemented.
Now I would like first of all to collect all the mods that already exist.

Should you know other mods that are not listed here please send me a PM.

Based on Abandoned Places 2 "Abandoned Places 2" by Wanderer (in the development)

Based on Bard's Tale Trilogy "Menace of Mangar" by lurker (version 1.1 * 15 January 2013)

Based on Black Crypt "Black Crypt 2012" by kevin.tonere (The first two Levels * 20 September 2012)
Based on Black Crypt "Black Crypt" by gwalker (version 1.0.7. * 18 September 2012)

Based on Dungeon Master "Back into the Dungeon" by comscript (version 2.2 * 2 November 2013)
Based on Dungeon Master "Dungeon Master Remake" by BlackHotHell (version unknown * 2 October 2012)
Based on Dungeon Master "Dungeon_Mastery" by Rye (Beta * 29 April 2013)

Based on Eye of the Beholder "Eye of the Beholder - Waterdeep Sewers" by DJ OldGames (version 0.02.15 * 26 September 2013)
Based on Eye of the Beholder "The Eye of the Beholder" by DJ Nicholas Hadrian (unfinished version *4 November 2012)

Based on Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon "Eye of the Dragon" by Drakkan (version 5b * 25 October 2013)

Based on Knightmare "Knightmare Remake" by Karna Abeje (version 5.2 * 31 October 2013)

Based on Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol "Mordor the Depths of Dejenol" by Wolfrug (version 0.3 * 9 May 2013)

Based on Wizardry 1: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord "Proving Grounds" by Michael Slack (version 1.1 * 25 June 2013)
Last edited by mishRa on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 23 times in total.
thomson

Re: Mods of classic games

Post by thomson »

Good thread. I think you should extend the list a bit to keep a list of all known mods or remakes for specific game. I know that Dungeon Master is especially popular. Your approach to publish only the one you consider better is not good. There may be one mod that recreated all levels in a poor way, and the other that is very detailed and looks and plays better, but currently has only first 2 levels. Which one would you choose? That choice would be arbitrary, so it is better in my opinion to list them all and possibly mark one of them as preferred or recommended by you. Perhaps sort them from highest to poorest quality?

Another thing you may possibly include is a status that may possibly include latest update date. That would make easier to spot mods that are abandoned. Unfortunately, with time number of abandoned incomplete modules will increase.

The last suggestion would to be consider including a list of old RPGs that nobody is trying to recreate. That would give people ideas that starting such recreation has a high chance of being unique.

In general, great idea to create such a list.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
Drakkan

Post by Drakkan »

definitely nice thread for some players. try look at the bottom of this thread I saw some links to few dungeons (like black crypt etc...)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3240
also some could be found on nexus
Breath from the unpromising waters.
Eye of the Atlantis
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Very very nice and useful thread. Because I am also always looking for remakes of good old games.
Thx for this thread.

lg Wanderer
My first LoG-Mod: Abandoned Places 2
Numberouane

Post by Numberouane »

Yes it is nice ! Thanks!

As there is already one thread referencing all the mods maintained by Komag, would not it be better to merge the two with maybe 2 sections (originals / old games based ) mods so we got all the eggs in the same basket ?

Like that, it will be easier to people to get quickly to any reference and no need to browse all the forum for finding the thread. All the information will be available in one single repository which, given all that is going to happen will help.

@ mishRa : what do you think? would you agree?

@ Komag : Is it a reasonable request ? Could you please do it if yes?

Thanks

:)
mishRa

Post by mishRa »

The thread of Komag I know, but did not feel that I can find about this quickly and directly the mods that are now called here. The description is not clear enough. I prefer to have a small list of mods, which have all classic RPGs as a template, as I read through a long list and then work out the few mods wanted.
Numberouane wrote:Yes it is nice ! Thanks!

As there is already one thread referencing all the mods maintained by Komag, would not it be better to merge the two with maybe 2 sections (originals / old games based ) mods so we got all the eggs in the same basket ?

Like that, it will be easier to people to get quickly to any reference and no need to browse all the forum for finding the thread. All the information will be available in one single repository which, given all that is going to happen will help.

@ mishRa : what do you think? would you agree?

@ Komag : Is it a reasonable request ? Could you please do it if yes?

Thanks

:)
Komag

Post by Komag »

I can't take on any more right now, but I'll link to this thread from that one :)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Numberouane

Post by Numberouane »

@ Komag : Ok sure but its enough to have a link.

@ MishRa : no problem. It s perfect as long as it is simple for the players.

Thanks to both of u.

: ) :)
comscript

Post by comscript »

Thomson, thank you for your opinion of my remake :(
theruler

Post by theruler »

Useful thread. Thanks!

Is this discontinued?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=97619283