Vendors

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Arinvald

Re: Vendors

Post by Arinvald »

Yeah I would hate it if this game ended up as a Monty Hall loot-fest. We are prisoners thrown into a very dangerous dungeon to die. I don't think many merchants would choose to set up shop in such a place.
Mortimer

Post by Mortimer »

I like this style of game, to not have stores, I would much rather have a lot of junk items that I can pick up and leave in various places so I can find my away around...I plan on old school style but not drawing out a map. If I had a store I would want to save everything and sale it then be lost in a dungeon :p
Crise

Post by Crise »

Ihmemies wrote:This game is pretty basic. A few monsters, one dungeon, not much of a plot, no dialogue etc. Hopefully someone will make a game like Lands of Lore one day. That had everything including vendors, spoken dialogue, cutscenes, lots of places to explore and so on :)
Curious, did you actually read through the manual? (assuming you have it)

It has just the right dose of back story and lore (for my tastes considering the type of game), not to mention that:
SpoilerShow
the shared dream sequences will probably provide some more story, as well as the wall notes maybe.
The plot may be basic as you said, but judging from the positive reviews it is just the right kind of plot, and based on what we have seen it may thicken as we go on.

Here is a question for the devs though: I looked at the world map, and started thinking, will we see more of this in the future (future projects, updates, whatever?) or is it included "just for flavour". Also Kalevala has been slipped in though I have no idea why?!
Arinvald

Post by Arinvald »

Yeah that world map got me thinking as well. Why even make it unless they plan to make further games within that world. With the great reviews and huge buzz for the game I think more games will surely be released within different parts of the map.
petri

Post by petri »

Mount Grimrock exists in a consistent and (hopefully) believable world. Fleshing out the geography of the world and thinking about the surroundings is a good tool towards that end. Of course it also helps in planning what comes after the first game :)
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Would be nice to have some place to sell or at least trade things you find for more useful things. That brings up another question. If there are no vendors then I am guessing there is not gold or money in the game. Because it would serve no purpose.
Stalkingwolf

Post by Stalkingwolf »

petri wrote:Of course it also helps in planning what comes after the first game :)
WoG? World of Grimrock? ... with Pandas!
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster
petri

Post by petri »

dbgager wrote:Would be nice to have some place to sell or at least trade things you find for more useful things. That brings up another question. If there are no vendors then I am guessing there is not gold or money in the game. Because it would serve no purpose.
Mount Grimrock is a murderous, desolate place. If there were any traders once, there are all long dead now.

As for gold, according to Maslow's hierarchy of needs you won't be caring for gold when you're at the bottom of the hierarchy ;)
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

petri wrote:
dbgager wrote:Would be nice to have some place to sell or at least trade things you find for more useful things. That brings up another question. If there are no vendors then I am guessing there is not gold or money in the game. Because it would serve no purpose.
Mount Grimrock is a murderous, desolate place. If there were any traders once, there are all long dead now.

As for gold, according to Maslow's hierarchy of needs you won't be caring for gold when you're at the bottom of the hierarchy ;)
Looking forward to it. Games where you have to scratch and scrape for every single item you get, and good items are few and far between have always been my favorite games. Especially when they are not random drops. The item you get is determined by how difficult it was to obtain it.
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

petri wrote:Of course it also helps in planning what comes after the first game :)
There it is! Sequel confirmed! And it takes place in the same universe!