Mod [Complete] The Rise of Simon

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Asteroth

Re: Mod [Complete] The Rise of Simon

Post by Asteroth »

HAHAHAHA!!! YEEES. Finally got it onto steam. Title image won't show. Made that thing with name on and everything, hope it's just my computer. But still IT FINALLY WORKED!
I am the God of darkness and corruption.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4250
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

Asteroth wrote:Aah, that puzzle is probably a little hard.
I think a hint would be a good idea here, it's pretty hard to figure this out without even knowing it is meant to be a puzzle.

Played some more and I'm again stuck...haha.
SpoilerShow
I'm now on level 5 after getting teleported (with a message on the floor that says something like 'too late to turn back now'). I defeated all the creatures in the room (which was tough), but now I can't open the metal door. I found a secret button on the wall next to the alcove with the cutlass, but it didn't seem to do anything. Tried to put some things into the alcove (like the corrupted flail lying around there and a corrupted skull I found earlier, but nothing. Hint (again)?
On a side note, I think the dungeon is way too dark. With the regular tilesets on the first 4 floors it's still playable without torches or light spells since they're relatively bright, but with your corrupt wall set I can hardly see anything and the darkness is hurting my eyes. Had to spawn a few torches to go on. I understand that this is meant to be a horror mod, but the complete darkness is killing the fun, for me at least. And after using the torches I think the wall set looks horrific (in a positive way) enough even when lit up. I even think it looks better with torches since the light doesn't look very warm and friendly when it falls on your walls.
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Aaaargh, nonono. Unfortunately you (and I) are screwed. Forgetting doors is my biggest weakness. Right before I put it up I did a sweep of the dungeon to make sure I didn't miss any and I still did. Working on fixing it but you'll have to make your own way on.(looks like I needed your testing anyway!)

As for other things: I added a starting torch(always meant there to be one but forgot the editor one isn't real!). Added a note to the up/down puzzle. Added just one extra torch right before it turns corruptr(Weak humans!).
Unfortunately, My troubles getting the first up took days. Now I've just left a couple dozen people screwed. :(
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

Hmmm...I'm not sure, is it still possible to use the dev mode where you can toggle collision off/open doors etc? Never used that. I think I read somewhere that this part was disabled after a patch, but I'm not sure. Other than that I have no idea how to get past that door.

I know it's really annoying when a small oversight like that causes huge problems for players, happened to me as well already.
Komag

Post by Komag »

you can use the new party:setPosition(x,y,facing,level), example:
party:setPosition(12,13,0,3)
to simply teleport to the other side
you can first check current position with print(party.x,party.y)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

Komag wrote:you can use the new party:setPosition(x,y,facing,level), example:
party:setPosition(12,13,0,3)
to simply teleport to the other side
you can first check current position with print(party.x,party.y)
Thanks, that worked!

Unfortunately I'm already stuck again...
SpoilerShow
After the door there are two more metal doors and one portcullis. I activated the only lever in the section and the portcullis opened, after entering the room it closed again. Defeated the 'black skeleton' and the two skeleton archers. Activated the lever in the room and could escape. But now I don't know what to do to open the other two doors. The lever I found earlier opens a door behind the first metal door when I put it up again (I can see it through the hole in the door). Didn't find any secret buttons. Hint?
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Sighs to self before curling up into ball.

The metal door on the left... That is the last door failure I just rechecked
I would say how did I fail twice right next to each other, but I guess it was best that way.
Also could not get a fix up today. I'm pretty certain it will be up tomorrow.

Edit: well right on the map not left.
Edit:rerechecked, am 99% certain still that it is clear sailing after this.
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Okay, it is updated on both nexus and steam. It's to late for about 40 people who now have to restart or do what you did phitt.(but will sadly probably find better things to do) But at least I'm now in the clear.
Asteroth

Post by Asteroth »

Hey phitt. Although it is probably wildly innapropriate for the mod maker to ask about the player, but I was wondering how it was going. I know you have a busy schedule so don't feel rushed. But whenever you win I would like to know how you felt about it. (aside from the door problems now that I've fixed those.)
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

My vacation is over, so I didn't have time to play a lot yet. But I will finish it for sure and tell you what I think when I'm done!