[MOD] Menace of Mangar v1.1

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
lurker

[MOD] Menace of Mangar v1.1

Post by lurker »

This mod is an ode to The Bard's Tale trilogy that I wasted a significant amount of my youth playing. Grimrock took me back to those days. I had a number of wouldn't it be cool if ideas that have been floating around in my head for some twenty years and the dungeon editor has provided the opportunity to finally make those into reality.

Some of those ideas were modified due to the amazing creativity present in the forum. Credits from the assets I utilized from the community are listed at the end.

I'm calling it the Menace of Mangar. It is complete and has nine levels. Well, technically eighteen, but nine of those are really just a shout out to Dante. If you played Betrayal at Krondor, you will notice some of the riddles from there have resurfaced here as well.

Available at http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/167/
or http://www.thebilbaos.com/grimrock/

Let's see, it will probably take about ten hours to complete with a virgin party and you'll end up around Level 14. Five treasures and 49 secrets await you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have putting it all together.

A couple of tips:
  • The first two levels are really one big level. All other levels are self-contained meaning there is no need to go backwards unless you dropped something you shouldn't have or need a healing crystal.
  • There are some things that do have a point of no return that once you do them, you don't get another chance. These are not critical to the main plot, just side quests.
Secrets per level:
SpoilerShow
1 - 4
2 - 6
3 - 5
4 - 5
5 - 9
6 - 7
7 - 4
8 - 3
9 - 5
Version 1.1 had only one bug fix. But there were a number of improvements based upon early feedback which included additional clues for some puzzles, clue location changes, atmospheric embellishments were added for clarity. And finally, a tougher final battle.

If you find any bugs let me know. Also, let me know if you are enjoying it or not.

Some of the assets appropriated from the community that you will see here:
  • Wallsets - Daniv
  • Fog - Geistertanz
  • Keys & Locks - Crisman
  • Tomes - Ixnatifual
  • Tables - Phitt
  • Beds - germanny
  • Drainage Alcove - Crisman
  • Catacomb Alcove - Batty
  • Tapestries & Shields - Merethif
  • Spiders - akroma222
  • Molt - Kuningas
  • Ghost Archer - Neikun
And of course, thank you to Almost Human! Thanks for the good times!

Now I'm looking forward to playing some of these other mods that have come out!
Last edited by lurker on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
leewroy

Re: [MOD] Menace of Mangar

Post by leewroy »

Since I´m stuck for good in three modules I was playing and didn't get the help needed to carry on, I´m willing to try it out today.

I just hope feedback to my questions, it's a thing that some modders are lacking sometimes ;)
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

OK, currently playing it. Couldn't solve a puzzle on level 2 yet, perhaps cause I didn't tried hard enough ou maybe it's simple and I making it complex. Anyway I have some things to mention:
SpoilerShow
Guess I found a bug on the mistery library. A message says to not be greedy, but of course I was, lol. After picking all the scrolls an earthquake begans. I noticed that it blocked some part of the corridor, we can see a book buried...so, I reloaded a previous save and found that the earthquake starter is the last scroll on the way, even if you just pick it, letting all the others untouched. And worse, even if you don't pick anything, the rubble prevents you to reach the buried book anyway. For now I´m keeping this entire place untouched and exploring all the other places in the level. What I´d miss if I let the earthquake happens?

About the puzzle, we have to levers and a button. Tried many combinations and nothing opened the door. The 1,2,3 or A, B, C clue didn't helped too much. Any extra tip? ;)
Flohaxn

Post by Flohaxn »

If you find out about the 123 let me know ;)

Did you solve the 12 parallel puzzle? I have no clue what to do there, and not gonna try out all combinations.
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

All the puzzles are beyond my reach for now. Didb't solve the 1.2.3 and none of the first floor.... :(
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

I just realized you spelled my name wrong o:
N E I K U N

I do hope to play this mod eventually. Still getting everything organized with the Legends of the Northern Realms project.

desu~
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
flowbee321

Post by flowbee321 »

Hi Lurker,

Loving your mod so far! Would love a hint system or something though. Your puzzles are good but difficult. Maybe I'll do a 2nd playthrough after I finish. I love going through trying to find absolutely everything!

I never solved the 123/ABC puzzle. Never solved the hospital "rotate alcoves/beds" puzzle. How about the hidden library?

On the hall of doors level, can't open the wooden door at the end of the "wooden door matrix room". Also can't find
SpoilerShow
the key to the lock hidden behind the torch. (clever, btw)
. Am I supposed to have two extra brass and two extra iron keys at level's end?

I played Bards Tale and Betrayal at Krondor way back when also, would remembering their riddles/puzzles help me?
lurker

Post by lurker »

leewroy wrote:OK, currently playing it. Couldn't solve a puzzle on level 2 yet, perhaps cause I didn't tried hard enough ou maybe it's simple and I making it complex. Anyway I have some things to mention:
SpoilerShow
Guess I found a bug on the mistery library. A message says to not be greedy, but of course I was, lol. After picking all the scrolls an earthquake begans. I noticed that it blocked some part of the corridor, we can see a book buried...so, I reloaded a previous save and found that the earthquake starter is the last scroll on the way, even if you just pick it, letting all the others untouched. And worse, even if you don't pick anything, the rubble prevents you to reach the buried book anyway. For now I´m keeping this entire place untouched and exploring all the other places in the level. What I´d miss if I let the earthquake happens?

About the puzzle, we have to levers and a button. Tried many combinations and nothing opened the door. The 1,2,3 or A, B, C clue didn't helped too much. Any extra tip? ;)
Concerning the hidden library:
SpoilerShow
That tome you see you will never be able to get to because of the cave in. I just thought it was a nice taunt :twisted:
Concerning the 123 puzzle:
SpoilerShow
Think in binary.
Last edited by lurker on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Neikun wrote:I just realized you spelled my name wrong o:
N E I K U N

I do hope to play this mod eventually. Still getting everything organized with the Legends of the Northern Realms project.

desu~
Sorry, I'll get that fixed right away!
lurker

Post by lurker »

Flohaxn wrote:If you find out about the 123 let me know ;)

Did you solve the 12 parallel puzzle? I have no clue what to do there, and not gonna try out all combinations.
Concerning the parallel puzzle:
SpoilerShow
Hint: Two parallel lines, six plates need to be depressed.