Experience Mod?

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Incendax

Experience Mod?

Post by Incendax »

I just recently got this game, and I noticed that my mage seems to be about 4 levels behind the rest of the party. I play him as a support character with Fire/Air for Resist Fire, Resist Shock, and Invisibility.

Is there a mod that equalizes the amount of XP party members gain? Five pages deep revealed nothing and the word 'experience' is too common to search.
leewroy

Re: Experience Mod?

Post by leewroy »

Not that I know, but you can create your own. One room with books of widom, tomes of health and stuff. I made this for increrase some aspects of my party,
and then you can import the chars into your new game. Other than that you can use the console to spawn tomes in your current game, but it's a bit more complex. Check the thread about the console and you'll get the picture.
Komag

Post by Komag »

any character who doesn't get at least one hit on the monster will only get half XP when the monster is vanquished. Just use the mate more, and later on have him wear the spirit necklace thing which boosts XP gain to catch up
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Incendax

Post by Incendax »

Komag wrote:any character who doesn't get at least one hit on the monster will only get half XP when the monster is vanquished. Just use the mate more, and later on have him wear the spirit necklace thing which boosts XP gain to catch up
That doesn't make any sense. What if you are fighting a four box of skeletons or something similar? There's no way to be certain every character got a hit on every one of the four skeletons, and even if you did that would be a very counter intuitive way to play.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

I usually let the mage cast at least one simple spell even on weak enemies to keep him on par with the others. Missile weapon users always level up the quickest since they're pretty much guaranteed to get a hit in.

As long as you remember to cast a spell or at least throw something with your mage, the discrepancy shouldn't be too big. Personally I'd prefer it if everyone just got full XP always so you wouldn't have to game the system for that "perfect" score.
LiamKerrington

Post by LiamKerrington »

Incendax wrote:
Komag wrote:any character who doesn't get at least one hit on the monster will only get half XP when the monster is vanquished. Just use the mate more, and later on have him wear the spirit necklace thing which boosts XP gain to catch up
That doesn't make any sense. What if you are fighting a four box of skeletons or something similar? There's no way to be certain every character got a hit on every one of the four skeletons, and even if you did that would be a very counter intuitive way to play.
Well, maybe it does not make sense. But since Skeletons and Scavengers are the only creatures that may appear in groups of 2 or four, there really is no trouble, because any other creature is always the only single target.
Also: considering that a spell hits EACH creature in a group, this most certainly is a win-situation for the wizard. Just cast the attack-spell before anyone else attacks, then you can rest assured that the spell-caster gains 100% of the XP, while the others maybe won't earn all the available XP from this group of monsters.

But it really depends on many factors. Nevertheless the truth remains the same: If a character does not attack and hit a creature, he won't gain all the XP from this particular monster. Sense or no sense - doesn't matter. Just live with it.
At the end of my first time with "the Legend of Grimrock" - played on default-party, hard, old-school mode:

My first time
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Yeah, it's really not a big deal as long as you keep the above in mind. If you can detect how much experience a character has through scripting, it should be pretty easy to equalize the party members however.
Komag

Post by Komag »

sometimes I'll have the first three party members attack a skeleton group once each from all four sides, thus assuring all have hit all, then I finish off the group with mage spells which hit all, everyone gets Max XP!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Incendax

Post by Incendax »

LiamKerrington wrote:But it really depends on many factors. Nevertheless the truth remains the same: If a character does not attack and hit a creature, he won't gain all the XP from this particular monster. Sense or no sense - doesn't matter. Just live with it.
Komag wrote:sometimes I'll have the first three party members attack a skeleton group once each from all four sides, thus assuring all have hit all, then I finish off the group with mage spells which hit all, everyone gets Max XP!
Naah, what I am really looking for is a Mod that distributes experience equally to every member of the party so that non-combat contributions have equal value.

For example, my next party is going to be Rogue/Rogue/Mage/Mage with the two rogues in front being evasion tanks with two shields. So I want to make sure they get full XP from the fight while remaining pacifists. Someone mentioned that such a mod would be easy to make?
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

A different approach to consider that accomplishes the same would be to make monsters award 0 XP. Instead, you could award XP for solving a dungeon floor and proceeding to the next. Easily accomplished by having a hidden pressure plate right before the "right" stairs leading down to the next floor. The plate activates a script that cycles through each party member and gives them all the same amount of XP.

This can also reward sneaky players who are able to trap monsters in rooms or otherwise circumvent them entirely.