v1.3.7 Bug collection

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
badhabit

v1.3.7 Bug collection

Post by badhabit »

As there seems to be no central thread for collecting 1.3.7 bugs I created one to help petri find everything efficient in one place for the next version. (like Psy's 1.1.4 bug collection)

Feel free to add bugs with description and explanation how to reproduce (best are save games, if a bugs is hard or too time consuming to reproduce).

Some vanilla bugs:
  • Mages should be able punch with fist or should be not allowed to select unarmed trait viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4561
  • Headhunter trait don't work with skulls put into container viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4494
  • if a killing strike comes by poison cloud, no exp is granted (maybe also no loot drop) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4494
  • moving backwards and using magic can hit yourself (FPS/timing related?) viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5014
  • Below 30 fps allows arrows to pass walls. Confirmed by Antti as timing bug viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5780
  • throwing things on closed secret doors is possible while the same is not possible on real walls. can be exploited for finding secret doors (my suggestion here would be to allow always throwing)
  • spell casting increases food bar viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5515
  • Throwed throwing weapons landing (in a fight) on a pressure plates are not auto picked up. No idea for a perfect solution as sometimes (seldom) you want that behaviour. Maybe "no auto pickup" if directly thrown or placed on floor from cursor hand and "always auto pick-up" if
    thrown from the parties hands. Or just make a button (per prisoner?) for switching auto-pickup on/off to give control for the seldom cases.
  • Enhanced arrows are not auto-pickuped, autopickup is lost on weapon switch..etc etc viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6399
  • Objects hold in hand/cursor have no weight (leads also to "burden status" anomalies and exploit possibilites) -> the (last) selected character (indicated by lighted frame) should carry the weight, the one who gets already the cooldown on throwning from cursor.(viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2198, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2007&p=23324&hilit=bug#p23277)
  • Thrown objects from cursor do a weight independent fixed damage -> a thrown sword or wooden box or paper note(!) do the same damage. Throwing range seems to weight dependent maybe you can reuse this code.
  • Damage indicating blood splashes hidding the health and mana-bar almost complettly, so in a continous damage situation (poison-cloud) you can't see the health status -> damage splash should be smaller/shifted/transparent or maybe on the portrait instead
  • delayed damage indication problem on the mage if the rune-menu is open)
  • [img]http://i46.tinypic.com/286zwnq.png[/img]
  • potions can't be drunk if put in left or right hand (right mouse-click) also not if hold in cursor, only with open inventory.
  • outresting poison bug
  • if you play in windowed mode, the close character screen "X"-button is to near to the close Grimrock application X-button. There are several reports of people mis-clicking in critical situations, this becomes a problem as LoG instantly closes without additional check (e.g. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1018&hilit=windowed+mode). LoG should pause and have a additional check window: "Really want to close LoG without saving?" and/or the prisoner name and the buttons on the prisoner window should change places.
  • Some container in container combinations are not working e.g. putting a bag into a wooden box (But putting the mortar into a bag works viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4625#p48663)
  • option menu is not scrollable and in case of resolution mis-configuration/mis-detection parts are not accessible* (e.g. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4649#p48764 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4456&start=50#p47129 viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4914) seems to be related to the scaling formula which didn't take multiple monitors into account and also fails on valid windowed resolutions which are greater than physical resolutions
    * dirty fix, bound the return key to apply; quickfix, please make the menu scrollable (like the load/save menu); correct solution auto-scale it correctly aka resolution independend rendering
  • in general, still some problems in scaling of fonts, objects & widget-elements in high (and very-low) resolutions. LoG's graphic rendering should be resolution independent, and not just work acceptable in a small range of resolutions. (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2236) Come on guys, there are not many cases missing, fix it and your former demo-scene fellows can be proud of you again ;)
  • Not down-scaled option menu (left) and not down-scaled object (right). Same behaviour for attack annimation. [img]http://i50.tinypic.com/2j3ialf.png[/img][img]http://i50.tinypic.com/2h6xfo3.png[/img]
  • Bugs (and fixes) from Komag's truthful LOG1 remake (lsit in first post)
  • graphical glitch: shine through on ceilings which allows easy finding of some secret doors (exploit). (CaspianRoach viewtopic.php?f=12&t=778&p=8809&hilit=secrets+bug#p8769) And another graphical glitch, light crawls around corners.
  • [img]http://i46.tinypic.com/im7ynn.jpg[/img][img]http://i50.tinypic.com/1op1kw.jpg[/img]
  • When Toorum is imported into a custom dungeon, he doesn't keep his fast movement. The 'thunderstruck' trait is still listed on the character info, but he doesn't get the movement speed boost.
new 1.3.6 Bug:
- in some linux setups the stencil buffer fails with GL_STENCIL_BITS: 0
- in some linux setups you can't enter text

Fixed in 1.3.7:
- some MAC setups missing the menu widgets (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4838)
- startup takes significantly longer (seems to hang on some detection which needs to time out?)
- switching to low Rendering quality while in-game crashes sometimes on re-init (reproduced with multiple switches between high and low mode (ressource leak?), instant crash for graphic cards without OpenGL 2.1) (viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4611)
- the new low quality render mode which effectivly limites max.-lightsource number seems to not select the most important light sources (e.g. the one close to the party before the one farer away and the one in front of party instead of the one in the back), also it would be preferable if max.-lightsource amount could be fine-tuned by CFG

new 1.3.7 bugs:
- none known up to now
Last edited by badhabit on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 75 times in total.
BarryBGB

Re: v1.3.6 Bug collection

Post by BarryBGB »

The Option Menu is a real pain. Whenever I try to change resolutions, the bottom half is not viewable nor can I hit return to apply.
The apply button is off screen.

Also, running 1.3.6, trying to go full screen screws the colors up. Red on left, green on right and brown in center. Almost like 3D but not. It doesn't matter what the resolution is, all full screens do the same thing.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

BarryBGB wrote:The Option Menu is a real pain. Whenever I try to change resolutions, the bottom half is not viewable nor can I hit return to apply.
Yeah it's pity as this a long known problem, no solution up to now.

If you edit the grimrock.cfg manually you have more control over the resolutions than by the menu, you can set there every resolution manually (smaller and bigger than offically "allowed"). Maybe you can find a useful resolution at least for the windowed mode by manually enforcing the resolution. Sadly, (as you had also recognized) you can't do that with fullscreen, LoG seems to do some "clever" detection/checking on fullscreen mode which preventing full control on resolution. Also pseudo-fullscreen by scaled up windowed mode is not possible in LoG which would be solution for some problems.
BarryBGB wrote: Also, running 1.3.6, trying to go full screen screws the colors up. Red on left, green on right and brown in center. Almost like 3D but not. It doesn't matter what the resolution is, all full screens do the same thing.
sorry, never heared before this problem.
BarryBGB

Post by BarryBGB »

badhabit wrote:
BarryBGB wrote:The Option Menu is a real pain. Whenever I try to change resolutions, the bottom half is not viewable nor can I hit return to apply.
Yeah it's pity as this a long known problem, no solution up to now.
Wow, this doesn't fill me with anticipation.
badhabit wrote: If you edit the grimrock.cfg manually you have more control over the resolutions than by the menu, you can set there every resolution manually (smaller and bigger than offically "allowed"). Maybe you can find a useful resolution at least for the windowed mode by manually enforcing the resolution. Sadly, (as you had also recognized) you can't do that with fullscreen, LoG seems to do some "clever" detection/checking on fullscreen mode which preventing full control on resolution. Also pseudo-fullscreen by scaled up windowed mode is not possible in LoG which would be solution for some problems.
Actually, I was forced to edit the grimrock.cfg file when the resolution I selected made clicking on the "Apply" button impossible.
I have tried a couple of different resolutions but nothing that works well yet.

badhabit wrote:
BarryBGB wrote: Also, running 1.3.6, trying to go full screen screws the colors up. Red on left, green on right and brown in center. Almost like 3D but not. It doesn't matter what the resolution is, all full screens do the same thing.
sorry, never heared before this problem.
I had made another post with screenshots of the problems. Fullscreen doesn't work at all. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4649

Does anyone know if the "FANTASTIC FOUR" are working on a solution to these problems?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

badhabit wrote:[*] Headhunter trait don't work with skulls put into container viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4494[/*]
Same with a weapon put into a container; doesn't work too :lol:
badhabit wrote:[*] Throwed throwing weapons landing (in a fight) on a pressure plates are not auto picked up.
Throwing weapons or missile ammo placed on a pressure plate by any means will never be auto-picked-up.
Reason: it could be done intentional. Not every party has a use for rocks or arrows.
badhabit wrote:[*] if you play in windowed mode, the close character screen "X"-button is to near to the close Grimrock application X-button.

That's why LoG also offers a borderless window mode in Options menu. No more "X"-button to miss-click.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
badhabit wrote:[*] Headhunter trait don't work with skulls put into container viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4494[/*]
Same with a weapon put into a container; doesn't work too :lol:
So, you trying to suggest, that the minotaurs using them as kind of weapon actively ? ;c) nice point of view but than skulls should be also not working sitting in the backpack. Infact, it would be great if mintours would have them hang around their necks or wrists ...or as extension to their weapons...that would be great! :)
Dr.Disaster wrote:
badhabit wrote:[*] Throwed throwing weapons landing (in a fight) on a pressure plates are not auto picked up.
Throwing weapons or missile ammo placed on a pressure plate by any means will never be auto-picked-up.
Reason: it could be done intentional. Not every party has a use for rocks or arrows.
But they get picked up if they fall on tile beside the pressure plate. So IF I decided to use rocks and rely on autopickup I will be surprised by this inconsistent and non-controlable(!) behaviour. Just give me a button to set the behaviour myself.
Dr.Disaster wrote:
badhabit wrote:[*] if you play in windowed mode, the close character screen "X"-button is to near to the close Grimrock application X-button.

That's why LoG also offers a borderless window mode in Options menu. No more "X"-button to miss-click.
Well, while this is a kind of workaround solution, it's still inconsitent behaviour. If I quit from menu I got asked if I really want to do this. But not on pressing the X-button. Inconsistency.
Second, good UI-design minimizes mouse path ways, to put the X in the farest corner when the left top corner can be used (swap name and buttons) is suboptimal, ESPECIALLY if additional a risk of a mis-click arises.
Roman42

Post by Roman42 »

I think I've found a little bug:

The new low quality setting makes Grimrock really fly on my laptop and I love it, but there's one really annoying problem which keeps me from using it:

Some torches in torchholders stop emitting light at certain distances. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it, because they sometimes stop emitting light if you get closer.
petri

Post by petri »

It's not a bug: one of the optimizations of low quality rendering mode (and the reason why it's much faster) is to render only up to a certain number of lights. If there are more lights, the extra lights will be simply ignored.
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

Roman42 wrote:I think I've found a little bug:

The new low quality setting makes Grimrock really fly on my laptop and I love it, but there's one really annoying problem which keeps me from using it:

Some torches in torchholders stop emitting light at certain distances. There doesn't seem to be any logic behind it, because they sometimes stop emitting light if you get closer.
Have seen that too, was thinking has something to do with some aggressive view-distance reduction. Maybe it's also a strong limitation in maximum light-sources ? If get to that torch some other get in range and some old one get skipped. *hmmm*

Maybe Petri explains us finally what the new low quality modus is really doing ? :c)

PS: damned, got ninja edited by petri! ;)
badhabit

Post by badhabit »

petri wrote:It's not a bug: one of the optimizations of low quality rendering mode (and the reason why it's much faster) is to render only up to a certain number of lights. If there are more lights, the extra lights will be simply ignored.
Thnaks for clearing that up Petri!

Some more detail questions: To how many light sources is the low quality mode limited ? I assume you select most important light sources by distance to the party (but then, by coming nearer to a torch it should unlikely go out) ?
Is the number of light sources changeable by cfg, as the sweetspot of every system might be somewhere else? ;)