Grimwold's Grimrock Puzzle Frameworks

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Grimwold

Grimwold's Grimrock Puzzle Frameworks

Post by Grimwold »

I created a few generic puzzle frameworks to simplify the task of adding certain types of puzzle to a dungeon, particularly for those who are perhaps struggling to get to grips with Lua scripting.

These can be implemented by pasting them into a script entity in your dungeon, changing a few (relatively simple) settings, and placing the necessary plates/buttons/levers/door etc. in your dungeon (virtually no connectors required either, as the scripts take care of those too).

This thread is to consolidate them together for better organisation. Discussion (and possible requests) should still be posted on the individual threads.

Alcove Item Puzzle
Set up a number of alcoves and require specific items to be placed in some or all of them to open a door. The door will close if any of the items are removed.

Lever Combination Puzzle
Set up a number of levers that need to be in the correct combination of activated (down) and deactivated (up) state. Check the sequence with either a plate or button and open the exit door.

Plate Path Sequence Puzzle
Create a path of pressure plates (hidden or otherwise) that the party must travel along in sequence in order to open the exit door. Should they take a step wrong they are teleported to a specified location at the start.

Lever/Button Sequence Puzzle
Set up levers or buttons that must be activated in the correct sequence to open a door.

"Checkered Room" Plate Puzzle
Set up pressure plates, some(or all) of which must be activated by items (or the party) to open a door. The door will close if any of the plates are deactivated. The same set of plates can be used for multiple solutions by using several copies of the script.

Pit Sequence Puzzle
Create a path of pits that will open in sequence and that the party must walk across to reach some point on the other side.

There is also a companion download, a sample dungeon which showcases these scripts in action...
http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/154
Last edited by Grimwold on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
msyblade

Re: Grimwold's Grimrock Puzzle Frameworks

Post by msyblade »

Holy Moly Grim, I think you just saved a LOT of questions and helped a lot of people. Thank you! This is needed by many!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
Redweaver

Post by Redweaver »

Great resource! From personal experience using these scripts, I can say you do some very clean coding. Thank you very, very much Grimwold.

I hope anyone who uses these remembers to give you a line in the credits! ;)
My finished mods:
A Curious Conundrum http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/135 also on Steam Workshop

Current WIP:
Lair of Unarak http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/137
JKos

Post by JKos »

These are very useful scripts, thanks. It's really nice that you made them generic and configurable.
- LoG Framework 2http://sites.google.com/site/jkoslog2 Define hooks in runtime by entity.name or entity.id + multiple hooks support.
- cloneObject viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8450
LordYig

Post by LordYig »

Thank you Grimwold !
This is a must have resource for any modder for sure !
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

Thanks for the comments guys. Nice to know that people will find these configurable scripts useful.

Just added the Pit Sequence Puzzle script to the Original Post...
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

As a companion to this thread I have created a sample dungeon using all the generic scripts. There's both an exported dungeon version and an editor files version so that you see the scripts in action. There are twelve treasures hidden around the rooms.. can you find them all??

http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/154
LordYig

Post by LordYig »

That a really useful example Grimwold ! Thanks.

I have only found 10 of them before my minotaur start starving !
I had to look at the source to find them ! :lol:
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

LordYig wrote:That a really useful example Grimwold ! Thanks.

I have only found 10 of them before my minotaur start starving !
I had to look at the source to find them ! :lol:
For the next version I'll try and remember to include some food. lol!
The420Lizard

Post by The420Lizard »

Hi Grimwold,
I see you are quite gifted in scripting. I have a problem trying to script a daemon_head_eye_slots to open door puzzle, but I am failing . Could you maybe show me a script I can use to do that?