New Grimrock Editor Video Tutorials - Source Files Available

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
SpiderFighter

New Grimrock Editor Video Tutorials - Source Files Available

Post by SpiderFighter »

(For Komag's excellent series aimed at beginners, click here.)

I have a new series of videos tutorials up (I started putting them in Komags thread, but as I keep adding to the list, I'd rather not keep cluttering his thread, so tney'll be listed here)! These first few videos should be viewed at 720, as they're pretty illegible at lower resolutions. Thanks to Komag, I've fixed this problem, so future videos will be much prettier at lower resolutions. Also, if anyone has any requests, please shout them out and I'll do my best to create a tutorial for it.

Source Files (Updated with each new tutorial)

Framerate pitfalls and solutions - Common mistakes that can drop your framerate, and how to get around them.
Basic Scripting (Part 1) - How to spawn items, shake the camera, call sounds, and destroy objects from a lua script.
Basic Scripting (Part 2) - How to spawn items, shake the camera, call sounds, and destroy objects from a lua script.
Designing Pit Trap Puzzles - How to set up two different types of puzzles using pit traps. (Requested)
Teleporting objects around the room - How to teleport an object around the room in order to open a door. (Requested)
Secret Areas - How to create a simple secret area (that the game counts)

Hope somebody finds them useful!
Last edited by SpiderFighter on Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Komag

Re: New Grimrock Editor Video Tutorials

Post by Komag »

I just offer my thumbs up, all newbies (and veterans too!) should add these vids to must-see list!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Perhaps we could use one thread to host the whole community's video Tuts in list form on the main post of the thread?
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

These are nice, you have a "radio" voice :D
Not like my nordic accent of death from the modeling tut's :P

Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

I quite like nordic accents.
Though admittedly, they can be a bit hard to understand at times.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Skuggasveinn wrote:These are nice, you have a "radio" voice :D
Not like my nordic accent of death from the modeling tut's :P

Skuggasveinn.
Hey, I'm a huge fan of Amon Amarth and Enslaved. Which one are you in again? ;)
Seriously, I think your accent sounds like you actually know what you're talking about, whereas mine sounds like I'm about to break into a weather report!

(Thanks for the compliment on the videos, btw!)
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

By request, a new tutorial is up:
Grimrock - Designing Pit Trap Puzzles - This tutorial shows you how to set up two different types of puzzles using pit traps (for Legend of Grimrock). (Sorry, I keep forgetting to NOT maximize my editor to allow FRAPS to capture it at the proper size; very counter-intuitive, that.)

Komag wrote:I just offer my thumbs up, all newbies (and veterans too!) should add these vids to must-see list!
*Blush* Thank you, Komag!
Nickydude

Post by Nickydude »

Awesome tutorials SF! Definitely learned a couple of things I didn't know. Thanks, much appreciated. :D

I'd like to put forward a request if that's ok?

I'm trying to get a puzzle where the player drops an object on a teleport, after a few seconds it teleports to another teleport, then after a few more seconds another teleport, after a few more seconds it teleports to a pressure plate which then opens a door.
"Hey look! A dungeons and Dragons ride...!"
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Nickydude wrote:Awesome tutorials SF! Definitely learned a couple of things I didn't know. Thanks, much appreciated. :D

I'd like to put forward a request if that's ok?

I'm trying to get a puzzle where the player drops an object on a teleport, after a few seconds it teleports to another teleport, then after a few more seconds another teleport, after a few more seconds it teleports to a pressure plate which then opens a door.
I'm glad they help, and I'd love requests!

Here's a quick n' dirty answer (in case you want to get started):
Basically, you're just setting up a series of item only plates, with one tele and two timers.
You want to set all teles to deactivated, then set two timers to each tele.

Make hidden plates (Item Only) under each tele that start the first timer, and set each tele destination to the next hidden plate in the chain. Link Timer A to turn on the tele in 5 secs (you can change this, of course), then connect it to activate Timer B, then deactivate itself. Timer B you can set to 1 second; its only purpose is to deactivate the tele, and then deactivate itself. Do the same thing with the rest of them (Item-activate plate ->Timer A (activates tele in 5 secs)->TImer B (turns off tele). Your final plate is set to item only, and connect it to the door (toggle, if you want it to be repeatable. If you want a single-time puzzle, than set all your plates to Activate Once).

If that doesn't make sense, I'll put a video up (just thought this would be quicker).

[EDIT] VIdeo will be uploaded shortly. I'm also going to put the source files for these tutorials on the Nexus, and I'll update in here when that's done.

[EDIT: Teleporting objects around the room ]
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Hmm...dunno how this happened, but it appears one of my first tutorials got deleted, so I did it again (as it's a topic that comes up every now and then on the forum).

Secret Areas - How to create a simple secret area (that the game counts)