[MOD] Halls of Barrian v1.0.3 released

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Billick

Re: [MOD] Halls of Barrian v1.0.1 released

Post by Billick »

leewroy wrote:Hi dude. I´ve been playing your module since yesterday and didn't have more troubles to figure all the stuff so far. But now...
SpoilerShow
I´m stuck in the "boss" battle in the level 6. There's an altar and I tried to put mushrooms, the blue gems and even the meat that creature drop, but nothing seems to work, the boss is still immune to my attacks. What I´m doing wrong?
SpoilerShow
Putting a "Strange Cap" should make the boss vulnerable to attacks for a short time. If you put more than one item on the alter at the same time it may not work. I may add a hint so it's clear this is what you're supposed to do. I may also make it so that it works if there are other items on the altar.
Thanks for the feedback!
Halls of Barrian - current version 1.0.3 - Steam Nexus
Me Grimrock no bozo!
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Thanks for helping, dude.
SpoilerShow
One thing I´m sure, I put two instead of one, and perhaps by that time my party was almost down, so I couldn't check if it worked. Gonna try again when I get home :)
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Hey dude

It works. Now I´m on Ogre's den, in the very begining. Your dungeon is becoming even better as we progress. Nice work!
Soaponarope

Post by Soaponarope »

I tried this one out last week.
SpoilerShow
Loved the way to get to the secret level btw.
Was fun, though I got stuck on level 2.
SpoilerShow
In a large room there were 2 buttons that it was not clear what they did, a pressure plate, and a shut door to continue. I was still being chased by cube. I thought the cube had to go on the pressure plate, and tried stunning it to get it to stay there while I pressed the buttons, but couldn't find any combination to open the door.
Haven't played since 11/28 so using first version, if that matters.
Billick

Post by Billick »

Soaponarope wrote:I tried this one out last week.
SpoilerShow
Loved the way to get to the secret level btw.
Was fun, though I got stuck on level 2.
SpoilerShow
In a large room there were 2 buttons that it was not clear what they did, a pressure plate, and a shut door to continue. I was still being chased by cube. I thought the cube had to go on the pressure plate, and tried stunning it to get it to stay there while I pressed the buttons, but couldn't find any combination to open the door.
Haven't played since 11/28 so using first version, if that matters.
It sounds like you got the correct solution, so I'm not sure why that didn't work. I'll take a look to see if there are any problems with that puzzle. Thanks for reporting the issue.

Also, you're the first person who has reported finding the secret level, so congrats on that :)
Me Grimrock no bozo!
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Some help again. I´m stuck on level 3 now.
SpoilerShow
There's a room to the south but it need a key tht I did'n't find anywhere. Also, there´s a green lizard inside a jail that I can't release.

Some other things yet to solve: 1) there's a message in one wall telling that a king would find the way; 2) I have a weapon called bert's leg, but could not do anything with it yet; 3) found two books that can't be used, but a message says they must be returned. Tried to put them on different bookshelves but nothing seems to happen.

So far, I´ve got 22/36 secrets. By the way, loved the way you hide some keys behind the bars in the floor, nice once :)
Billick

Post by Billick »

leewroy wrote:Some help again. I´m stuck on level 3 now.
SpoilerShow
There's a room to the south but it need a key tht I did'n't find anywhere. Also, there´s a green lizard inside a jail that I can't release.

Some other things yet to solve: 1) there's a message in one wall telling that a king would find the way; 2) I have a weapon called bert's leg, but could not do anything with it yet; 3) found two books that can't be used, but a message says they must be returned. Tried to put them on different bookshelves but nothing seems to happen.

So far, I´ve got 22/36 secrets. By the way, loved the way you hide some keys behind the bars in the floor, nice once :)
SpoilerShow
1) This is an optional puzzle, so I won't spoil this one :)
2) bert's leg is part of finding the secret level. I'm not going to post this one just yet either 8-)
3)Taking book from the first room will open a secret door in the second room. Moving a book into the correct slot will trigger a door to be opened up in the first room. There is quite a bit of moving to be done to open the green lizard cell. Maybe I'll add a sound being played in the next version to indicate that you've gotten a correct portion of the solution
Me Grimrock no bozo!
Billick

Re: [MOD] Halls of Barrian v1.0.2 released

Post by Billick »

Version 1.0.2 has been released to Steam and Nexus. This release is mostly adding some extra hints to some of the progression puzzles that people were having trouble with. There aren't any bug fixes in this update, so you may want to consider sticking with v1.0.1 if you're mostly finished. If you haven't started it, I would recommend taking the latest version.

Thanks again to everybody who has provided feedback. Halls of Barrian is currently in the top 10 most popular Grimrock mods on the Steam Workshop this week, so thanks to everybody who voted for it!
Me Grimrock no bozo!
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Billick wrote:
leewroy wrote:Some help again. I´m stuck on level 3 now.
SpoilerShow

SpoilerShow
1) This is an optional puzzle, so I won't spoil this one :)
2) bert's leg is part of finding the secret level. I'm not going to post this one just yet either 8-)
3)Taking book from the first room will open a secret door in the second room. Moving a book into the correct slot will trigger a door to be opened up in the first room. There is quite a bit of moving to be done to open the green lizard cell. Maybe I'll add a sound being played in the next version to indicate that you've gotten a correct portion of the solution
Very well, then. Let's back to work :)
and thanks for the tips.
Hustin

Re: [MOD] Halls of Barrian v1.0.2 released

Post by Hustin »

I'm enjoying this a lot so far, but I found a couple of bugs:
SpoilerShow
1. If you kill the cube the way you do in the normal game (put the three parts in, take them out again, then kill it), it doesn't drop the gold key and you're stuck. Thankfully I had an earlier save...

2. If you only weaken the cube (put the parts in then take them out to make it vulnerable to attack), but then kill it using the levers, the game crashes.

The second one is problematic if you realize you need the parts for the secret below, since if you take them out to get the secret you can't kill the cube with the levers without always crashing the game. To get around it I had to:

a. Take the gear out
b. Run it downstairs to open the first door
c. Run it back upstairs
d. Put it in the cube
e. Take the other two parts out
f. Run them downstairs
g. Get the secret
h. Run them back upstairs
i. Put them in the cube
j. Kill the cube with the levers

And all this has to be done BEFORE arming the mechanism because you need the weapon of power to freeze the cube to swap the parts in and out. Thankfully I didn't have to keep the gear in to keep the door open or it would have been impossible.

Now to find a use for Bert's leg! :P