[Mod] Hypercube (Winner of first community editing contest)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
thomson

Re: [Mod] Hypercube (Winner of first community editing conte

Post by thomson »

HaunterV wrote:oo? undiscoverred bug?
Looks like one. I'll try to reproduce this in a minimal setup.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

thomson wrote:I have troubles with this Hypercube. I managed to pass 5 and X pits/platforms puzzle. Then I get into a small (1x1) elevator like room. The gate closes after me. There is "this will not end up well" sign on the wall. When cube finally reaches me, the game quits to desktop, without any errors. :(
I hit that very same "ending". So I tried my luck going back to that 2 times 5 pressure plate door but all i found there was a secret with a torch ...

Looking at my Win7 message log it seems LoG did in fact crash with an application error and this

- <EventData>
<Data>grimrock.exe</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>506c1b65</Data>
<Data>grimrock.exe</Data>
<Data>0.0.0.0</Data>
<Data>506c1b65</Data>
<Data>c0000409</Data>
<Data>00049b7e</Data>
<Data>fec</Data>
<Data>01cdcfc6ac3978cc</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Legend of Grimrock\grimrock.exe</Data>
<Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Legend of Grimrock\grimrock.exe</Data>
<Data>8b570c1a-3bbc-11e2-bdf8-20cf30e18e9d</Data>
</EventData>

EDIT
There must be a problem with the square in front of that gate because when i let the cube crush me on purpose on this spot the game crashes too.
Montis

Post by Montis »

Which Version of Hypercube do you have?
Current is v1.0.4
I tried and it didn't crash for me.

Can you give me some additional info? Did you save in between, if so, where?
When destiny calls, the chosen have no choice.

My completed dungeon (LoG1): Hypercube
Montis

Post by Montis »

Okay, I have found something, that could've caused the crash. I updated the versions on Steam and Nexus to v1.0.5 in hope that this was the cause of issue (I'm pretty confident though) :)

Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Montis wrote:Which Version of Hypercube do you have?
Current is v1.0.4
I tried and it didn't crash for me.

Can you give me some additional info? Did you save in between, if so, where?
Yep it's 1.0.4. I saved a few times here and there while playing but I can't recall every spot. At the alcove with the rock toss puzzle i definately saved and loaded a few times.

I see you just updated Hypercube to 1.0.5 so I'll re-test.

EDIT
Yep that was it! No more crashes :)

Oh and btw: thx for the "multiple ending" hint :D
thomson

Post by thomson »

I confirm. 1.0.5 no longer crashes on me. Thanks!
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
thomson

Hypercube 1.0.5 review

Post by thomson »

Hypercube 1.0.5 review from Steam (lastest as of 2012-12-02)

Hypercube is a winner of editing challenge. It is short, one level dungeon. Despite its relative shortness, it takes quite some time to solve it and discover its secrets. I would describe it as steampunk-themed survival horror of a kind. Without revealing too much, let me say that this won't be exactly a stroll in a park paced experience.

There is no combat, just puzzles. Puzzles are not overly complicated, but due to circumstances too complex puzzles would ruin the experience.

There are no torches or other light sources you can carry. The whole adventure happens in a cave, so it is naturally dark. For the best experience, play this late in the evening or night.

There is short, but nicely done intro. There are at least two different endings. Discovering the second one after seeing the first (obvious) one was quite rewarding.

The party is overridden, so there is always just one champion. It makes sense from the story perspective and due to characteristics of the dungeon, additional characters wouldn't contribute anything.

It took me around an hour to play and a half through this dungeon and discover some of is secrets, including alternate ending. It would probably took less, but there was a crash to desktop error in version 1.0.4, which was promptly fixed and 1.0.5 is working. Once you know all the puzzles it takes only couple minutes to finish it. And if you are running as if the thunder struck you, you'll probably finish it under 4 minutes. ;-)

One disappointment for was that I found a way to get rid of the cube. Unfortunately, instead of some reward or a comment I saw game over for no apparent reason. I think that thinking out of the box and solving the problem in unconventional manner should be rewarded, not punished. On the other hand, this dungeon without a cube would be completely boring.

There is special secret mode for folks who value speed. I don't want to reveal too much, but there is a hint in this review already.

Summary
This dungeon is radically different than all others I've played so far. There are no items (well, except one), no level ups, no magic, no combat. Without those things it may seem boring, but it is not. There are other aspects that make up for them: the constant fear of your life, harsh compromise between time spent on observation and time spent on running away, more than one ending and even an extra mode. I liked that and recommend this dungeons as a nice break between multi-level dungeon full of monsters with slow and careful exploration. This is more of a "run for your life!" thing.

Thanks for publishing this mod and congrats on winning the context. Extra thanks for prompt fix of the bug.
Montis

Re: Hypercube 1.0.5 review

Post by Montis »

Thanks for the in-depth review, very much appreciated :)
thomson wrote: [text]
One disappointment for was that I found a way to get rid of the cube. Unfortunately, instead of some reward or a comment I saw game over for no apparent reason. I think that thinking out of the box and solving the problem in unconventional manner should be rewarded, not punished.
[text]
Could you elaborate where / when this happened? Maybe in a spoiler tag or if you want per PM? I'm not sure if this is by design. :)

thomson

Re: Hypercube 1.0.5 review

Post by thomson »

Montis wrote:Could you elaborate where / when this happened? Maybe in a spoiler tag or if you want per PM? I'm not sure if this is by design. :)
Sure.
SpoilerShow
When you step into 5 times X puzzle, there is a trapdoor that opens immediately after the party, so it is not possible to go back until the puzzle is solved. If you wait for the cube and step into the puzzle at the very right moment, the cube will go to the square when the trapdoor opens. I had a lot of laughs when it fallen down the pit. It is even more hilarious if you step into the puzzle going backwards, so you can see the cube actually falling gown. Unfortunately, I was hit with 9001 damage a second or so after.

If I may suggest something, you should not punish the player for inventing such tricks. If you don't want this to mean automatic win, you may add something like "Haha, nice trick! But the cube just teleported/crawled back through some secret passage and still waiting for you"
Montis

Post by Montis »

Ok I didn't ever think of that. The over nine thousand damage is done so everytime you jump down you die for certain (there would be no way out anyway). I'll think of something and fix the cube falling down some time next week. :)