Making Spiders Shoot! (Solved)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
msyblade

Re: Making Spiders Shoot! (Solved)

Post by msyblade »

Can't help but think of a hold spell (With web models?) the spider shoots and your stuck in place for 3 seconds.
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

You could probably retexture something like the machine_part_orb with webs (may want to clone&paste the webs over top themselves a bunch to make it look thicker) and use that as a projectile model.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Mal85

Post by Mal85 »

^
This had already crossed my mind! I was thinking of a slowing ability even, if such a thing is possible, otherwise a holding spell would work excellent as well! Still working on my spider re-textures so I'll have to put this idea on the back burner, glad I'm not the only one thinking outside the box! Would love to see them shoot sticky webs, would make for some obnoxious timed puzzles!
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

Would make for a truly new/unique enemy type/combat strategy. A new toy for developers! I could use it to compliment other baddies. Like a charging ogre, with a web spider helper to hold you still.

You know when the spider sticks you, and your all helpless for a second and you can't move? The ogre is JUST turning to face at that moment, and you frantically spam d on your keyboard to no avail. As the ogre "Loads up" for the charge and runs at you, you actually get scared for a second. Then control returns and you sidestep just in time... Note to self, These two are dangerous together. Look at me, I'm all giddy!
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
Mal85

Post by Mal85 »

Ya I'm totally hooked now on this. This could also work for skeleton mage class monsters. Is it possible to remove the spear from the warrior and have, say a fireball shoot out of his swordless hand. Ganna have to mess around with this and see what I can come up with! Great stuff everyone!
Kuningas

Post by Kuningas »

Mal85 wrote:Ya I'm totally hooked now on this. This could also work for skeleton mage class monsters. Is it possible to remove the spear from the warrior and have, say a fireball shoot out of his swordless hand. Ganna have to mess around with this and see what I can come up with! Great stuff everyone!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3929
Entirely possible! See this topic. A skeleton mage would be cool... You could also try removing the archer's bow and quiver and see if that animation works better. (the removation process described is something of an illusory one -- it only makes the spear and shield completely invisible, so the animations may look silly)
BASILEUS
Mal85

Post by Mal85 »

Interesting! Thanks for the link, Kuningas. Ill have to dink around with that.
Mal85

Post by Mal85 »

Seems I have run into a different problem concerning the modification to the spitting spiders. Everything works as intended except now when the non-modded spiders attack it prints on screen an error. "warning - unknown ranged attack: nil". As I said everything works great just can't get rid of this annoying warning messege. I'm assuming the standard spiders are trying to use the new ranged attack that I defined below -

defineAnimationEvent {
animation = "assets/animations/monsters/spider/spider_bite.fbx",
event = "ranged_attack",
frame = 8,
}

I tried to copy spider_bite.animation to the mod_assets\animations folder of my dungeon and rename it to spider_spit.animation and then reference it in via defineAnimationEvent for my new spider to point it to this new file. At which point the standard spiders are fixed and my new modded spider once again only tries to fire invisible poison_bolts at range that do nothing. Is there a way to cloneAnimationEvent the same way we cloneObjects and then point my new spiders animation files to that? Thanks!

EDIT: Also copying the .animation file into the mods_assets did not fix the issue. Only caused the poison_bolts to stop firing again as ussual and the non-modded spiders are back to not displaying error messeges... fix one and the other bugs out or vice-versa.
Komag

Post by Komag »

if it's just a console message and everything still works the right way maybe it's just something that can be lived with? On the other hand, are they trying a ranged attack and thus not behaving properly?
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

Mal85 wrote:Seems I have run into a different problem concerning the modification to the spitting spiders. Everything works as intended except now when the non-modded spiders attack it prints on screen an error. "warning - unknown ranged attack: nil". As I said everything works great just can't get rid of this annoying warning messege. I'm assuming the standard spiders are trying to use the new ranged attack that I defined below -

defineAnimationEvent {
animation = "assets/animations/monsters/spider/spider_bite.fbx",
event = "ranged_attack",
frame = 8,
}

I tried to copy spider_bite.animation to the mod_assets\animations folder of my dungeon and rename it to spider_spit.animation and then reference it in via defineAnimationEvent for my new spider to point it to this new file. At which point the standard spiders are fixed and my new modded spider once again only tries to fire invisible poison_bolts at range that do nothing. Is there a way to cloneAnimationEvent the same way we cloneObjects and then point my new spiders animation files to that? Thanks!

EDIT: Also copying the .animation file into the mods_assets did not fix the issue. Only caused the poison_bolts to stop firing again as ussual and the non-modded spiders are back to not displaying error messeges... fix one and the other bugs out or vice-versa.

Yeah this was the problem I foresaw by defining a ranged animation event on the existing spider animation. You need to:

#1 copy the animation file to your mod_assets.
#2 define a new animation event referring to the location of the new animation file
#3 change the definition of the attack animation for your new spider to the new file.

Please do check my solution in the thread above, as I took care of this.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4328&start=10#p44233