[Mod] Stronghold of Ironstone

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Imaddo

[Mod] Stronghold of Ironstone

Post by Imaddo »

Hi guys,
this is my first post here, so... Hi again! :D

I just finished my first mod, and I'd like to share it with you. Took me quite some time to complete, so I hope you like it.

You have been imprisoned into the Stronghold of Ironstone. Can you escape?
------------
Find your way out through a stronghold full of secrets and mysteries...
- Four levels.
- One boss.
- More than 10 secrets.
- Gain experience through exploration.
Remember: Fighting may not be the best choice (at least in some situations).
------------
(Version 1.03)
Steam link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=
Nexus link: http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/127

(Sorry for my English, but it isn't my first language).
Last edited by Imaddo on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darklord

Re: [Mod] Stronghold of Ironstone

Post by Darklord »

Nice work, I look forward to giving it a try! Oh and welcome to the forums. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Numberouane

Post by Numberouane »

Hi

Good mod but need help now Im stuck
SpoilerShow
I found treasure and two pies. Now Im missing golden key and other iron I think to open second door after crystal. I killed both ogres but only opened one of the two doors.... I read that u must put something in alcove...what & where coz there is one near iron door but did not open so far... Two goromorg behinf gates but dnt know what to do... button near door same level and pushing it I see no effect...I got gear key from first level but nothing to do with

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLP
:)
Daniv

Post by Daniv »

SpoilerShow
Yeah, this one got me stuck for a little while. There's a room on level 2 with an alcove instead of a statue. Take a look to see which statue is missing, and that gives you the clue to what you need to place in the alcove.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

I remember this one! I played it when it was first released. I liked exploring all of the cells =D
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Numberouane

Post by Numberouane »

Thanks for the tip. Once U got this one, then it is straight forward till the end.
SpoilerShow
I missed one gear key and also never been able to open the fences with goromorgs behind and also never been able to open the
fences in the south part of the level...
:)
thomson

Stronghold of Ironstone review

Post by thomson »

Stronghold of Ironstone review, version 1.03 from Steam (as of 2012-11-28)

This dungeon seems to be around for quite a while. I think it was released shortly after dungeon editor became available. Keep in mind that this is one of the first dungeons released. I'll try to be as spoiler free as possible, but put the whole review under spoiler tags to be on the safe side.
SpoilerShow
It is puzzle focused with combat being scarce and not that important. I was able to finish it in little over 90 minutes, but I was rushing it a bit. I found slightly more than a half of the secrets, so it was not a total speed run. As advertised, there are 4 levels. Number of pits you can fall into is extremely small (possibly two, but I was not able to open that trapdoor).

One interesting thing is a mix of different wallsets on the same level. Certain items have no apparent purpose (at least I haven't found any use for them and I have finished this dungeon).

In several spots the auto-map seems invalid - it shows that there are passages where there is actually a solid wall. These are probably secrets that I haven't managed to found. Or they could be just bugs. One way or the other, it shouldn't be revealed on the auto-map.

I think I read somewhere that a new party is recommended. I have played with kick-ass level 13 party. Nevertheless some of the enemies were semi-challenging.

There is no intro. There's no final sequence, either. That is quite surprising/disappointing. You just walk through a corridor and suddenly credits start to roll out.

In my opinion, this is a simple and moderately fun dungeon. Taking into consideration that is was released shortly after editor became available and not many tricks were known be modding community, it is okay.
Thanks for creating and publishing this mod.
Last edited by thomson on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[MOD] Eye of the Beholder: Waterdeep sewers forum sources; Grimtools (LoG1 -> LoG2 converter) sources
SpiderFighter

Re: Stronghold of Ironstone review

Post by SpiderFighter »

thomson wrote:Stronghold of Ironstone review, version 1.03 from Steam (as of 2012-11-28)

This dungeon seems to be around for quite a while. I think it was released shortly after dungeon editor became available. Keep in mind that this is one of the first dungeons released. I'll try to be as spoiler free as possible, but put the whole review under spoiler tags to be on the safe side.
SpoilerShow
It is puzzle focused with combat being scarce and not that important. I was able to finish it in little over 90 minutes, but I was rushing it a bit. I found slightly more than a half of the secrets, so it was not a total speed run. As advertised, there are 4 levels. Number of pits you can fall into is extremely small (possibly two, but I was not able to open that trapdoor).

One interesting thing is a mix of different wallsets on the same level. Certain items have no apparent purpose (at least I haven't found any use for them and I have finished this dungeon).

In several spots the auto-map seems invalid - it shows that there are passages where there is actually a solid wall. These are probably secrets that I haven't managed to found. Or they could be just bugs. One way or the other, it shouldn't be revealed on the auto-map.

I think I read somewhere that a new party is recommended. I have played with kick-ass level 13 party. Nevertheless some of the enemies were semi-challenging.

There is no intro. There's no final sequence, either. That is quite surprising/disappointing. You just walk through a corridor and suddenly credits start to roll out.

In my opinion, this is a simple and moderately fun dungeon. Taking into consideration that is was released shortly after editor became available and not many tricks were known be modding community, it is okay.
Thanks for creating and publishing this mod.
Thanks for reviewing this. Hopefully, this will start a trend of others reviewing mods. :)
Imaddo

Post by Imaddo »

Due to popular demand (sort of :lol: ) I've added a Nexus link.
http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/127
I hope you enjoy it. ;)