[MOD] Shadows of Grim Moon

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
xhantos

Re: [MOD] Shadows of Grim Moon

Post by xhantos »

About Level 7 puzzle,

Here are Zeltak's hints:
zeltak wrote: 1.
SpoilerShow
5 scrolls on that level contains everything you need to do in order to open the door
SpoilerShow
One scroll tells you always one action you need to do
SpoilerShow
Think what represents the daemon, the heroes, the goromorg priests and the Uggardian flames
Zeltak also provided a major spoiler (first action) for debug purposes:
SpoilerShow
First action, which corresponds to first scroll, is pushing the button in daemon head (poison) room.
Another minor info he provided:
SpoilerShow
'the puzzle itself is contained on that level'
After all these hints, if you still need more, a very big one, a real spoiler, is below:
SpoilerShow
Not every button is on a wall.
perrilin

Post by perrilin »

While I am grateful for all the hints, at this point I would much rather have the solution and the logic behind the solution.
Trollmann

Post by Trollmann »

Am I missing something, since it seems I can't get past the first room?

I've tried every possible combination on the Daemon Eye socket thing, tried putting the gems on the alcoves, putting stuff on the altar with no progress whatsoever...

edit. Never mind,
SpoilerShow
found the hidden button
xhantos

Post by xhantos »

perrilin wrote:While I am grateful for all the hints, at this point I would much rather have the solution and the logic behind the solution.
Since this is Zeltak's thread, I don't think it will be appropriate for me to provide the solution here.

Here's all I can say without actually wording the solution:
SpoilerShow
5 numbered scrolls each corresponds to a 'button' push. There are 4 rooms with one or more 'buttons' in them. Read the scroll text and make your best guess.

1st button is the one on the wall in the room with daemon head.

You will most likely here sound cues when you push the correct button in the correct order. (In my case I didn't because I think my save game was with an earlier version of the dungeon).
I also have a question. For the last 30 minutes I've been trying to remember/find out what triggered the opening of the wall to the secret square
SpoilerShow
with the book of wisdom at the north-west of the beginning area.

?
hyppyp

Post by hyppyp »

Xhantos, what level are you referring to? Is that level 6? Wondered aimlessly for hours there, looking for a secret opening.... I had a book and rightclicked on it, but no new insights. I am on level 1, finished 7 and 2. But I have to go down to 8 every time to get food and 50% of the saves ends in a crash (using an old savegame). This is not funny....
xhantos

Post by xhantos »

hyppyp wrote:Xhantos, what level are you referring to? Is that level 6? Wondered aimlessly for hours there, looking for a secret opening.... I had a book and rightclicked on it, but no new insights. I am on level 1, finished 7 and 2. But I have to go down to 8 every time to get food and 50% of the saves ends in a crash (using an old savegame). This is not funny....
Hi hyppyp, I finished the dungeon quite some days ago, I now have only one more secret to find to consider the dungeon really finished (I found 16 of 17 secrets).

I started over to see if I can find the one secret I missed that way.

The question I have is about the first area, where dungeon starts (at level 3).
SpoilerShow
There is a secret square at the north-west with the book of wisdom in an alcove. In my new game, at first I wasn't able to open the wall to get the secret (I didn't remember how I opened it). Then only after some little progress I visited the area and found the secret area open.

My question is, what triggers it? (I have no idea).
After Level7 I finished Level1 pretty fast.

How many secrets have you found? I'm inclined to make a secrets list...
Filipsan

Post by Filipsan »

xhantos wrote:
How many secrets have you found? I'm inclined to make a secrets list...
That would be cool :)
Komag

Post by Komag »

If someone makes a full walkthrough that I can reference from time to time then I'd be willing to take another stab at this one
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
xhantos

Post by xhantos »

SECRETS LIST
Thanks to Hyppyp and Zeltak for their contributions.

Known secrets: 17 of 17
Last update: 17th secret found, thanks to a hint by Zeltak (L7 map not updated yet).

Any help with the following will be appreciated:
  • Better secret descriptions, English language corrections
Notes:
  • If a secret area is accessed from another level, the secret is listed for that level, not for the level secret area is in.
  • Beware: Maps may contain additional spoiler information.
  • Map images are hosted on tinypic.com for free. As I understand, they may be deleted if not viewed for 90 days.
Level 1 - Secret count: 2
SpoilerShow
Drop down to the south part of the pillar room from the center pit at south. You will find Builder's Testament, a powerful mace. Also a grim cap, tar bead and a healing potion.

Drop down one of the the pits near south of EMP5, or the one south of EMP2 (or some other pits). After you get the door open, you'll find the Bracelet of Tirin.
Level 2 - Secret count: 1
SpoilerShow
Open the door using a gear key (Iku-Turso [Axe], Tome of Fire).
Level 3 - Secret count: 3
SpoilerShow
In the area Shadows of Grim Moon adventure begins, in a secret square north-west, there is a Book of Infinite Wisdom in an alcove. It opens at the same time as the doors to the northern corridor with the crystal.

Just a few squares east of the life crystal, there is a secret button on the north wall, which opens a compartment with Spirit Mirror Pendant, but beware it has a guard.

Push the button at the east section, to open the secret area at the west section (gear key, 2x Frost bombs).
Level 4 - Secret count: 1
SpoilerShow
Open the door using a gear key (Heavy Shield, Long Sword, 2x Fire Bombs).
Level 5 - Secret count: 3
SpoilerShow
Push the button, on the north face of the wall between the two northern tombs, to open a small area south east.

Place something on the pressure plate in the secret area opened, to open a square to the east of the button.

Push the secret button in Valnaak's tomb to open the small compartment (5 squares south of the first secret area) where you can find the shortbow (with 2x broadhead arrows).
Level 6 - Secret count: 3
SpoilerShow
In the room at the north-east edge, push the hidden button to reveal the secret area.

To reveal the secret square at the south-east edge room, push the button in the previous room west.

Solve the puzzle where there are 2 pits, 2 plates and then 2 pits, around the middle of the east edge of the map, to access the secret area and a gear key.
Level 7 - Secret count: 3
SpoilerShow
Open the door using a gear key, and get access to the life crystal (Heavy Shield, War Hammer, Sulphurous Potion, Speed Potion).

Drop down to level 8 from the pit. Entire Level 8 is the secret!

Where you find the strange red gem, insert the non-strange red gem to the eye slot. You will be rewarded with full Chitin armor set! (Chitin boots, greaves, mail, mask)
Level 8 - Secret count: 1
SpoilerShow
Push the button on the north side of the north-most column to open an area at north-west. Get ready for some scavengers! (3x Blooddrop blossom, in a chest: Wyvernscale Mail [Heavy Armor], Wyrmbane [Sword], 2x Wyvern Steak, 2x Poison Arrow)
Last edited by xhantos on Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 35 times in total.
hyppyp

Post by hyppyp »

"Solve the puzzle where there are 2 pits, 2 plates and then 2 pits, around the middle of the east edge of the map."
Thanks for the 'spoiler' xhantos, but I do not have a clue to do this. The only way I see to solve this puzzle is to wait for a spider (I heard them behind the walls, creepy!) and shoot the poor thing. This way an arrow of other item will drop on the plate, which in turn will open a pit. In all other cases the plates are too far or too distant.
So I camped beside the pits for a while, but nothing turns up and I just got hungry again. In other words, could you give an additional clue please?