[WIP] "The Hub" - Updated Info

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Szragodesca

Re: [WIP] "The Hub"

Post by Szragodesca »

I have work tonight and tomorrow night, the two most exhausting nights of the week, but I'll hit you up in PM on Saturday for a link to see what you've got done then.

I've no problem playing in a beta because that's when your mind is most focused on the areas I'm currently in. Waiting for the entire project and then giving feedback on red and yellow just means you have so much more to remember (and possibly change as a sequence of effect takes place) rather than fixing one problem before the fix can cause problems in later parts.

No rush, I'll be around. :D
SpiderFighter

Re: [WIP] "The Hub"

Post by SpiderFighter »

Szragodesca wrote:I have work tonight and tomorrow night, the two most exhausting nights of the week, but I'll hit you up in PM on Saturday for a link to see what you've got done then.

I've no problem playing in a beta because that's when your mind is most focused on the areas I'm currently in. Waiting for the entire project and then giving feedback on red and yellow just means you have so much more to remember (and possibly change as a sequence of effect takes place) rather than fixing one problem before the fix can cause problems in later parts.

No rush, I'll be around. :D
Sounds good then. Give me a shout when you're ready. Thanks again!
SpiderFighter

Looking for testers this weekend! [WIP] "The Hub"

Post by SpiderFighter »

I'm expecting to be 99% finished with the first half (7 maps out of 15) by tomorrow afternoon, and am looking for some people to test it over the weekend. You shouldn't find anything gamebreaking; I'm looking for balance in gameplay and items. Is it too easy? Not enough puzzles? Any boring areas (or, conversely, any particularly tense/fun areas)? What did you like/dislike?

Here's what you can expect to find: An estimated 3-5 hours of game time (maybe longer, depending on what style of player you are). Reaching levels 7 to 8. Two minigames. Nearly 50 secrets. Illusory Walls (well, at least one in this half, with more to come). NPC backstories and random pop cultural references. Custom alcoves, by myself and Neiken. Lark's exploding crates. Merethif's Throwing Hammers. Two new types of Slimes (monsters) designed by Neikun. The Slug (monster), designed by Wallasaurus. Progressive gameplay (simple at the start, with more puzzles, secrets, and combat the deeper in you go). Both "train track" type play, and "free roam" areas. All character builds are supported.

If you're at all interested, please don't assume someone else is helping. At this point, I've received zero feedback on this thing, and I'd like to get some outside perspectives before I dive head first into the second half. If you'd like to test drive it, please shoot me a PM, and I'll send you a link to the file (on Friday). Of course, anyone who tests will receive credit when the mod is released. Thanks so much for looking!

More screens below:
SpoilerShow
Neikun

Re: Looking for testers this weekend! - [WIP] "The Hub"

Post by Neikun »

Wow! Those temple cells look really good in the prison wallset. Do you have a custom ceiling decoration object for it as well?
So.. I flipped the node of an iron grate so it's on the floor. I figured it would slide backward and would be a neat pit trap.
Instead what happened, the grating went to the ceiling and looked like this:
SpoilerShow
I thought that was AWESOME.

EDIT: Looks better when done with a door_portcullis
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Neikun wrote:Wow! Those temple cells look really good in the prison wallset. Do you have a custom ceiling decoration object for it as well?
Thanks! They do look good, don't they? I have a few spots where I mix the prison and temple wallsets...they can mesh really nicely. That's actually the in-game ceiling...nothing custom, so I can take no credit for it.
Neikun wrote:So.. I flipped the node of an iron grate so it's on the floor. I figured it would slide backward and would be a neat pit trap.
Instead what happened, the grating went to the ceiling and looked like this:
I thought that was AWESOME.
That is so (this)!! What do they look like on the floor? ;)
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

SpoilerShow
On top of a pit:
SpoilerShow
Haven't figured out how to make it hold a person up yet, though.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Neikun wrote:On top of a pit:
Holy Hell, you read my mind!!!! :shock:
Neikun wrote:Haven't figured out how to make it hold a person up yet, though.
Gotta be a bit that turns on and off. That is so cool...I can imagine a player as he nervously steps onto those...not knowing if it will hold...
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

I just wanted to update on my progress, give credit to new asset authors, and let you all know what you can look forward to (without wading through the entire thread):

General:
  • A beta-tested, bug-free experience! (with a special "Thank You" to Ancylus, Brodie301, and Szragodesca!)
    A complete game, with intro, outro, and a plot that features hundreds of lines of original dialogue, NPC backstories and random pop cultural references.
    Progressive gameplay (simple at the start, with more puzzles, secrets, and combat the deeper in you go).
    An estimated 12-15 hours of game time (maybe longer, depending on if you're a collector of secrets)
    Four minigames.
    Approximately 80-100 secrets.
    All character builds are supported.
Custon Features:
  • Illusory Walls
    Custom alcoves, by myself and Neikun.
    Batty's Ceiling Lanterns.
    Lark's exploding crates.
    Merethif's Throwing Hammers.
    New Shields by Merethif.
    New Tomes designed by Ixnatifual.
    The Stone Ogre (statue / monster), by myself.
    Two new types of Slimes (monsters) designed by Neikun.
    The Slug (monster), designed by Wallasaurus.
    The Shdow Archer, designed by Neikun.
    Decorative Beds by scorp29.
    Cougardod's Practice Dummy.
New Screenshots:
The Deadly, Apparating Shadow Archer:
SpoilerShow
The Slenderogre!
SpoilerShow
Metal, Stone, and Light:
SpoilerShow
A Fiery Trap
SpoilerShow
I'm at the 70% point right now, and I'll be looking for people to beta test again when I finish. If you're interested, please PM me. It's important to me that this be as bug-free as possible when it's released, as no one wants to put hours of work into playing a game only to have to download a new version due to bugs.

Thanks for looking, and I hope someone out there finds this interesting enough to want to try. :)
Numberouane

Re: [WIP] "The Hub" - New Screenshots and Updated Info

Post by Numberouane »

Hi Spider

What about your mod?

Any rough idea when we can all enjoy ur work?

THanks

:)