[Dungeon] Mordor: Depths of Dejenol

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Wolfrug

[Dungeon] Mordor: Depths of Dejenol

Post by Wolfrug »

Hello everyone!

Edit: Just updated this to version 0.3: it now contains one full Ranger (i.e. standard LoG puzzle-dungeon) which is accessible through the first Mordor dungeon level (via a puzzle, of course!). It is now also compatible (I think) with Toorum mode/custom Ranger mode (name your first champion Ranger and he will start as a ranger all by himself. Like a weaker Toorum, basically). I'd love-love-love some feedback on the puzzle dungeon, so please don't be afraid to wonder. Changelog below.

I just uploaded my first ever stab at Legend of Grimrock dungeon editing to the Workshop (haven't yet tried the Nexus, but that will be my next stop). It's based on the old dungeon crawler Mordor: Depths of Dejenol from 1995, but aside from the name, the dungeon layouts and the music, all the rest is pure Grimrock. Currently it's three levels deep, features random (and increasingly difficult) monster spawns, random (and increasingly valuable) loot spawns, as well as 12 quests per class, including three 'boss fights' (well, souped up enemies that drop special loot anyway), a working shop for buying/selling, and...practically every item in default Legend of Grimrock, plus one or two custom ones.

I'd love some feedback on this 'mod', in particular with regards to:
- Loot tables/frequency/value etc. Is the progression reasonable?
- Monster challenges: too difficult/too easy/just right? (mind that they are somewhat randomized, so there's an element of luck)
- Experience progression: too fast? Too slow?
- Aesthetics: feel free to point out any ugly clipping etc. Partially unavoidable however due to using almost exclusively 'secret doors' for walls.
- Bugs: Quests that don't work/broken trapdoors/CTDs/non-functional spawners etc etc...
- Suggestions for improvements?

As mentioned, I've currently only added the three topmost levels of the game, partially because these were the three levels available in the Shareware version and thus I know them like the back of my hand, and partially because I simply ran out of loot/monsters/party levels. I could imagine perhaps one level deeper or so, but after that the power creep would get out of hand. I'm hoping that even this more limited set of levels will suffice.

Furthermore, there is currently very little to no story, but that's something I'm hoping to change with the addition of some dungeons that explore and explain what happened to the Rangers' guild, and gives you a chance to join that prestigious dungeon delving brotherhood...(Rangers = Toorum's class from LoG).

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Download link here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =102289368
And Nexus: http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods/44/

Changelog:
v0.1
- Initial release
v.0.2
- Fixed CTD with ogre_hammer drop (accidentally named ogre_club in monsters.lua)
- A few aesthetic fixes (pillars in junctions etc)
- Small changes to loot tables
v.0.3
- Added rusty weapons + a some new high level loot (Credits: Asteroth6)
- Changed the level two boss (Slave Master) to an Urgardian (Credits: Neikun)
- Added the first "Ranger Dungeon"
- Added quests for level 1-5 for Toorum Mode/custom Ranger mode (name your first champion Ranger and you will start with only that champion, changed to the Ranger class; don't take the Skilled trait!)

-Wolfrug
Last edited by Wolfrug on Thu May 09, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Try my Mordor: Depths of Dejenol LoG-ification. Feedback much appreciated!
SpiderFighter

Re: [Dungeon] Mordor: Depths of Dejenol

Post by SpiderFighter »

I'm looking forawrd to this when you get it on the Nexus! :)
Wolfrug

Post by Wolfrug »

@ SpiderFighter : Nexus'd! :)
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Wolfrug wrote:@ SpiderFighter : Nexus'd! :)
Woot! On my way. :)
EDIT: I'm getting "file does not exist" so it may not have hit the servers yet, even though we can see it. I hear that's a not uncommon problem with Nexus.
Kuningas

Post by Kuningas »

Something about the screenshots interested me tremendously -- I can't quite put my finger on it.

I put it to download, will try.
BASILEUS
Wolfrug

Post by Wolfrug »

The nexus link should work now. Also put up a few more screenshots!
Edsploration

Post by Edsploration »

Yes yes yes! I was a huge fan of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol, and I'm loving your description for this mod. I might not get a chance to play it for a few days but I'll be all over this!
Open Project -> Community FrankenDungeon: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4276
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

This sounds awesome! Damn I wish I had more spare time... :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Wolfrug

Post by Wolfrug »

Looking forward to hearing your comments!

I just realized I never explained how the "resetting" mechanism works. Well, essentially whenever you rest (which you can only do while in the City level), there's a script that checks how long ago since the first monsters were spawned. Every 15 minutes (which isn't quite right due to the way LoG handles counters on different levels) it will reset the dungeons when you wake up. A little text should let you know how long until the next reset. Nothing is reset while you're -in- the dungeon of course, and in principle you could run through the whole 3 levels without ever resting at the city, thus never resetting a single encounter/loot spawn! But that would be a little boring, wouldn't you agree?

-Wolfrug
Numberouane

Post by Numberouane »

Very Good!

Do you plan to build all the levels?
:)
N°1