EOB Custom Levels

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
DJK

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by DJK »

Can't wait for this one :( 1st thing I'll be doing is mapping out the Eye of the Beholder maps :) (how could I ever do anything different :p)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

DJK wrote:Can't wait for this one :( 1st thing I'll be doing is mapping out the Eye of the Beholder maps :) (how could I ever do anything different :p)
Add some hidden areas to level 12. 8-)
DJK

EOB Custom Levels

Post by DJK »

Isaac wrote:
DJK wrote:Can't wait for this one :( 1st thing I'll be doing is mapping out the Eye of the Beholder maps :) (how could I ever do anything different :p)
What you mean ? like a uber hidden secret passageway on one of the upper sewer levels straight to Xanathar's Lair ? His private royal pathway to the surface ? :twisted:
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

DJK wrote:
Isaac wrote:
What you mean ? like a uber hidden secret passageway on one of the upper sewer levels straight to Xanathar's Lair ? His private royal pathway to the surface ? :twisted:
No... it was just that (on the PC at least; not sure about the other platforms), level 12 was almost half empty. The South portion of the map was mostly walled off with nothing there. You could use a hacked executable to explore it, but there was really nothing there ~not even walls. :|
Thels

Post by Thels »

Isaac wrote:Add some hidden areas to level 12. 8-)
DJK wrote:What you mean ? like a uber hidden secret passageway on one of the upper sewer levels straight to Xanathar's Lair ? His private royal pathway to the surface ? :twisted:
Isaac wrote:No... it was just that (on the PC at least; not sure about the other platforms), level 12 was almost half empty. The South portion of the map was mostly walled off with nothing there. You could use a hacked executable to explore it, but there was really nothing there ~not even walls. :|
Wasn't level 1 somewhat similar? Or there at least was the 8th portal, which eventually got scrapped.

Other than levels 1 and 12, EoB really packed the levels tight, using every square on the 32x32 grids.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Thels wrote:Wasn't level 1 somewhat similar? Or there at least was the 8th portal, which eventually got scrapped.

Other than levels 1 and 12, EoB really packed the levels tight, using every square on the 32x32 grids.
Yes; level 1 was also the 'tutorial' level, and the only one that I know of that would permanently change it's layout based on the player's choice at the first fork in the passage.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Isaac wrote:
Thels wrote:Wasn't level 1 somewhat similar? Or there at least was the 8th portal, which eventually got scrapped.

Yes; level 1 was also the 'tutorial' level, and the only one that I know of that would permanently change it's layout based on the player's choice at the first fork in the passage.
Oh, yeah, I almost forgot about that. Depending on which door you open, the layout of the dungeon changes somewhat. Not that it has a major impact on the game, though.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Thels wrote:Oh, yeah, I almost forgot about that. Depending on which door you open, the layout of the dungeon changes somewhat. Not that it has a major impact on the game, though.
None that I'm aware of.
In fact, the change (on the PC) was effected by passing the first door instead of opening it. Further down the hall there is the gnomish rune ~legible only if you have a dwarf in the party; and also pointless really.

It was interesting that level 1 had an open pit leading up... but that doesn't affect the game in the least. :cry:
I remember wanting to peer upwards through the pit; wishing the party could climb up (out). :D

** Perhaps there had once been a level above level 1?
Last edited by Isaac on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Isaac wrote:It was interesting that level 1 had an open pit leading up... but that doesn't affect the game in the least. :cry:
I remember wanting to peer upwards through the pit; wishing the party could climb up (out). :D
It did? I don't recall that at all. But then, it's been well over a year since I last played.

Though perhaps we should have the EoB talk split off to it's own thread? Because this could be somewhat annoying to those that are waiting for the editor, and don't care about good old EoB1.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Thels wrote:
Isaac wrote:It was interesting that level 1 had an open pit leading up... but that doesn't affect the game in the least. :cry:
It did? I don't recall that at all. But then, it's been well over a year since I last played.

Though perhaps we should have the EoB talk split off to it's own thread? Because this could be somewhat annoying to those that are waiting for the editor, and don't care about good old EoB1.
This is the tail end of the wait for the editor... If nothing else, EOB is a great ~fantastic title to learn from for mapping LoG. Still, you're right.

** The pit IIRC, is in the concealed room with the kobolds and the 'dart'.