Eye of the Beholder

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Patch

Re: Eye of the Beholder

Post by Patch »

marcuz99 wrote:It needs some work in regards of buttons, holes etc, but the walls are complete. Still I have had a look at Dungeon Eye and I can't figure how to export the templates it uses for to position correctly the walls in it

A mock up of the walls i did plus new background of the interface is here:

image redacted for space

Today I'm drawing from scratch a set of faces for Grimrock, to replace the existing ones in a style that's more close to the one from EoB and more drawn, comics-like; I'll release it later this week, but here a very early preview:

image redacted for space

Wow. These are really great! Wouldn't happen to be interested in a group project, would you..?
marcuz99

Post by marcuz99 »

Patch wrote:
Wow. These are really great! Wouldn't happen to be interested in a group project, would you..?
Maybe, it depends on the amount of work required.
I'm not following the threads about them so far, because the enthusiasm in such a ventures goes only so far, often (imho). but point me to a well defined project when there's one and if I have the time to give, the idea is something that I can go with, and the time needed not overbearing, then I'll help you.
MushaConvoy

Post by MushaConvoy »

I, too, thought Grimrock would be an awesome host for an Eye of the Beholder (1) remake, but classes aside you're forgetting the most significant component to the game... Xanthar.

Classes would be easy to add with comparison to adding in Kenku, Drow, Rust Monsters, Thri-kreen, the list goes on. There are not many enemies in Grimrock that match up. Then there are all the dungeon variants and the stone portals. You can refresh your memory here.

As much as I'd love an Eye of the Beholder remake, it wouldn't feel the same without the enemies and look to the levels. I'd put the time into creating the maps, scripting all the traps, spinners, teleports, create equivalent items and transcribe the scrolls... but modelling enemies and wall textures is well and truly beyond me.
AmiDARK

Post by AmiDARK »

Hi,

Personaly,
if a project to create an "eye of the beholder" remake is started, I can participate on the development of background graphics (walls, grounds, weapons, objects) but not on monsters :(

Kindest Regards,
AmiDARK
xdeath

Post by xdeath »

MushaConvoy wrote:I, too, thought Grimrock would be an awesome host for an Eye of the Beholder (1) remake, but classes aside you're forgetting the most significant component to the game... Xanthar.

Classes would be easy to add with comparison to adding in Kenku, Drow, Rust Monsters, Thri-kreen, the list goes on. There are not many enemies in Grimrock that match up. Then there are all the dungeon variants and the stone portals. You can refresh your memory here.

As much as I'd love an Eye of the Beholder remake, it wouldn't feel the same without the enemies and look to the levels. I'd put the time into creating the maps, scripting all the traps, spinners, teleports, create equivalent items and transcribe the scrolls... but modelling enemies and wall textures is well and truly beyond me.
Stone Portals and Monsters are a matter of modelling(The hardest part is finding a willing modeler) and Scripting(which has already been promised to be supported by the editor).

But classes, Races and Skills run at a deeper level in the game. Implementing new classes could be as simple as clicking a button, or they could be hardcoded in the engine.
SiENcE

Post by SiENcE »

marcuz99 wrote:

You've made a new wallset? Nice one! :D

Daniel.
It needs some work in regards of buttons, holes etc, but the walls are complete. Still I have had a look at Dungeon Eye and I can't figure how to export the templates it uses for to position correctly the walls in it

A mock up of the walls i did plus new background of the interface is here:

Today I'm drawing from scratch a set of faces for Grimrock, to replace the existing ones in a style that's more close to the one from EoB and more drawn, comics-like; I'll release it later this week, but here a very early preview:

Nice graphics.

Would you like to work on a classic dungeon crawler?

A friend and me are currently working on a classic dungeon crawler. It's possible to play a party in 4 player LAN/Internet Multiplayer mode.

You can try a first Prototyp in your Browser (uses WebGL): http://dungeonspace.schattenkind.net

We do not have an artist yet, because we want to concentrate on finishing the gameengine. But if you like to join our project it would be cool.

If other artist read this, your are also welcome!

cheers
SiENcE
marcuz99

Post by marcuz99 »

very nice, PM sent :)
potholepete

Post by potholepete »

AmiDARK wrote:Hello.

1. Concerning EOB, it's a great idea ... I also think to "black crypt" on Amiga ... great game too that can maybe be remade with GrimRock engine ...

2. I have finished the game, found the Toorum Remain and resurrected him (I presume as I did something with it's remain that makes something particular)...
But I can't choose him as a 4th class ... only the 3 remain available.

Kindest Regards,
AmiDARK
I agree. Black Crypt was a great game for the Amiga. The only dungeon crawler I played lots. I love the genre, but for some reason I stuck to Black Crypt. I would love to see a MOD.
rubensduarte13

Post by rubensduarte13 »

Eye of the Beholder series (specially EOB II) were my favorite games in the 90's, and maybe they are still my favorite since I feel the need of playing them over and over every year. Nowadays Legend of Grimrock is giving me the same feeling, indeed a very good game!!!

Besides the discussion of remaking or not EoB series with Grimrock engine, what about making an "Eye of the Beholder 4" ??? Something like a next chapter on the story after EoB 3. When the Grimrock level editor comes, I would really like to work on that :)
Rubens D.
São Paulo - Brazil
pulpum

Post by pulpum »

the only problem I see in this mod, is the amount of monsters which doesn't exists in grimrock for now...

as someone says, it's a thing to make a map with traps, it's another story to make 3d models...

character classes are not a problem, objects found during the game can alter the stats, and make characters differents. it seems to be easier than making another class... :)
ad&d / ff / d&d