Prison tile set slowing game down

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Billick

Prison tile set slowing game down

Post by Billick »

I've noticed that the game runs significantly slower on my computer on the bottom 2 levels. It look like the prison tile set is more difficult to render than the other tile sets. Has anybody else noticed this?
Halls of Barrian - current version 1.0.3 - Steam Nexus
Me Grimrock no bozo!
hannamarin

Re: Prison tile set slowing game down

Post by hannamarin »

I agree - its like walking through glue. Dropped everything down to low and still slow. Even got rid of vertical sync. Slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

I have a reasonably powerful rig and graphics card (Radeon 6870 HD) and found it a bit slow here too.
cardman

Post by cardman »

never noticed no difference tbh
\/4n!ll4 ][c3

Post by \/4n!ll4 ][c3 »

its because all of the ambient lighting effects. and it gets much worse when you fight the boss. the walls in there are made with a reflective surface, which looks really nice, but it stays active even when you turn down all the settings. its the same in all parts of the game. there is just a lot of processing going on in those areas.
Billick

Post by Billick »

Yeah, it made the boss tougher than it had to be. I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this. I wonder if there'd be any way to tone this down. I didn't really have any problems on the other levels with the settings turned down.
Halls of Barrian - current version 1.0.3 - Steam Nexus
Me Grimrock no bozo!
\/4n!ll4 ][c3

Post by \/4n!ll4 ][c3 »

the place i noticed the lighting effects were whoacrazyhard on processing was i think on level 3 when you had to put the torches around the pillar. everything ran smooth until i got to that part, which is when i turned the settings down.

it ran fine from that point on, until i got to parts that had 3 uggardians, then it got a little slow until i would kill them, and it wasnt really a problem again until i started facing the goromorgs, because they have those lanterns with them. on the last two levels, the reflective surfaces on the walls just kill it. putting my resolution to 720p and all settings to low maybe it much more playable, but it still was a little choppy.
Kirinyale

Post by Kirinyale »

Strangely, I never noticed any problems in the Prison, although my graphics card is a bit old by now (GeForce 8800 GTX). The only thing that makes me see a real drop in FPS is a lot of active light sources (e.g. torches in puzzles where you need 3-4 of them burning at the same time).

Perhaps there is some other bottleneck here except the GPU? E.g. memory (I have 3 GB) or CPU (Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz).
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I'm running a ATI Radeon HD 4800, 1GB, I have 4gb system RAM, Quad Core i7, 3ghz, and noticed slow down at this point. I also struggled with some of the reflex puzzles and now suspect I should have reduced the graphics settings from high. (LoG auto selected them)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Disasterrific

Post by Disasterrific »

It's a nasty combination of long draw distance and multiple light sources. The pillar of light did exactly the same thing.