Grimrock - What I Do Not Like

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
tecknomage

Grimrock - What I Do Not Like

Post by tecknomage »

WHAT I DO NOT LIKE ABOUT GRIMROCK:
  • Other than Video and Audio Options, there are no others. You cannot map keys for example.
  • There are no cheats that work reliably. Cheat Happens has a so-called Trainer (Skill Point Editor) but I, and others, have never gotten it to work.
  • This game has many, many timed puzzles. You have to complete the puzzle in so many clicks. I do not like most games that have timed sequences.
Just one example in Grimrock:

On Level-5 "Hallways"

"Deserted Tunnels Entrance"

Has a puzzle where you have to flip a switch on an alcove wall which closes a gate blocking your final destination (closed wood door), throw an object on a floor-plate down a hall 2 steps away from where you are, this TEMPORALLY opens the gate, and you have to make it to your destination (temporarily open door) before the door closes again. AND DO THIS IN JUST 3 or 4 CLICKS!

BIG PROBLEM: When you flip the wall switch you are facing the wrong way. Hence you have to turn around, step forward, right, throw, step 4 left (and get through the 'open' gate), step back through the open door.

BUT the gate takes time to open-up and will block you until it's fully open. This takes more 'clicks' than I was given. I keep banging into the partially open gate and cannot make it to the door before it closes :evil:

The Banshee walkthrough has the UNDERSTATEMENT "It might take you a few tires to get the timing down."

To make Grimrock more playable for us all-thumbs types, is a Game Option to disable timers :idea:
Tecknomage
Mage Guild Maser Oblivion
Brodie301

Re: Grimrock - What I Do Not Like

Post by Brodie301 »

How about just disabling all the puzzles, open all doors, and then just run thru whole dungeon repeatedly pressing space bar to kill enemies. Sounds like the best game EVER, then we wouldn't even have to Use our head at all.

The level of complaining here lately is absolutely ridiculous. If that makes me sound like a fanboy then so be it, I'll be the ultimate fanboy.
The FORCE is with me!!!
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

My mother once said "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Why not learn to play the game the way it was designed, instead of saying this bit or that bat sucks? The game is entirely beatable, you just have practice some parts of it. It sounds like you simply have no patience, and having patience is a lot of what these games are about...
Remit

Post by Remit »

I never had any trouble with timed puzzles in this game, which is why I'm wondering how come so many hate them. I even managed to complete the
SpoilerShow
block balls of light to open iron door
on my first try and
SpoilerShow
the run across the closing pits before they close again
on the second. I understand that people using laptop mice might have some trouble, but with a desktop set up all puzzles were doable.

And what do you mean "Other than Video and Audio Options, there are no others. You cannot map keys for example."? I could map keys from the options. Check the lower left corner of the options menu.
Encephalon

Post by Encephalon »

tecknomage wrote:There are no cheats that work reliably. Cheat Happens has a so-called Trainer (Skill Point Editor) but I, and others, have never gotten it to work.
Cheats? Sereously?!
tecknomage wrote:This game has many, many timed puzzles. You have to complete the puzzle in so many clicks. I do not like most games that have timed sequences.[/list]
Just one example in Grimrock:

On Level-5 "Hallways"

"Deserted Tunnels Entrance"

Has a puzzle where you have to flip a switch on an alcove wall which closes a gate blocking your final destination (closed wood door), throw an object on a floor-plate down a hall 2 steps away from where you are, this TEMPORALLY opens the gate, and you have to make it to your destination (temporarily open door) before the door closes again. AND DO THIS IN JUST 3 or 4 CLICKS!

BIG PROBLEM: When you flip the wall switch you are facing the wrong way. Hence you have to turn around, step forward, right, throw, step 4 left (and get through the 'open' gate), step back through the open door.

BUT the gate takes time to open-up and will block you until it's fully open. This takes more 'clicks' than I was given. I keep banging into the partially open gate and cannot make it to the door before it closes :evil:

The Banshee walkthrough has the UNDERSTATEMENT "It might take you a few tires to get the timing down."

To make Grimrock more playable for us all-thumbs types, is a Game Option to disable timers :idea:
The first time I got to the location you describe I failed on the first try, failed just on the second and succeeded on the third. With no help, hints or whatever. I also had some trouble with the pit-falls-room on level 6, the Iron Door on level 7 (I think, the one with the 3 magic missile shooters). I tried and failed, tried again and failed again, and kept trying as I got a little closer each time and learned how to solve the puzzle. I tried until I lost count of attempts and kept trying until I succeeded. This kind of games is supposed to have puzles of different kind, including timed puzzles.
Brodie301 wrote:The level of complaining here lately is absolutely ridiculous. If that makes me sound like a fanboy then so be it, I'll be the ultimate fanboy.
Aye! I couldn't agree more!
You know you're screwed when the light at the end of the hallway is an onrushing ogre wielding a torch.
EvoluZion3

Post by EvoluZion3 »

^agreed with the above - yes I am a big fan of this genre of games, but I didn't find the movement/timing puzzles much of a problem. I also completed the 'light catching' puzzle first time, and am able to reduce most movement puzzles to a string of keypresses with one hand (e.g. WWDDW), and the mouse pointer ready in the correct position (e.g. ready to press a wall button) in the other.

However, being over-burdened or having a low spec PC/laptop would make the above extremely difficult. Neither of which is the developer's fault by the way.
pimpskinny

Post by pimpskinny »

Are you seriously complaining on the official forum about a third-party cheat that doesn't work right?

Anyway. If you completed all the puzzles on the first try, then that would mean the game is too easy. So some of the puzzles are hard? Oh noes!
jansaresinas

Post by jansaresinas »

there was also a post or several from someone who is disabled and can only use a mouse and if he managed to get out of lvl 2 where you need to push that small button and run backwards through the teleporter, and he completed the game, i would guess people can do it. i would also say that that is the tightest non-optional timed puzzle in the whole game.

yes, i also had issues with the firepit button puzzle, thats when i did some extensive testing of game mechanics, timings, effect of hardware on the game, and well, all has been said before,

- there is slight lag when using fullscreen mode compared to windowed
- there is lag when you are holding something in your hand and clicking/running around with it
- the hardware doesnt affect the time of the 'click' (or heartbeat) of the game

gets kind of easy to do then, when you know what pace to keep when doing timed puzzles (on my second and third walkthrus i did the lvl7 iron door first try and firepit first try, despite doing about 100 reloads on my very first walkthru...)
Arctor

Post by Arctor »

tecknomage wrote:WHAT I DO NOT LIKE ABOUT GRIMROCK:
PLAY SOMETHING ELSE
dnk

Post by dnk »

tecknomage wrote: The Banshee walkthrough has the UNDERSTATEMENT "It might take you a few tires to get the timing down."
i don't think that these puzzles are so hard.
have you tried turning down your graphic details / resolution in options?
i remember lowering the details at one point and it made the movement more fluent and (subjectivly) also faster.