Uninstalled It

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
BigCTM

Uninstalled It

Post by BigCTM »

I liked the game at first but all the timed and arcade like puzzles just drove me crazy. If I wanted an arcade game I would play Mario! I certainly do not want Mario like arcade puzzles in a hardcore RPG.

Still looking for a great old school RPG that is turn based instead of real time...Any suggestions?
Arctor

Re: Uninstalled It

Post by Arctor »

This is the ULTIMATE "Missing the Point (of Legend of Grimrock)" post yet seen in the forums. Congratulations!
BigCTM

Post by BigCTM »

Then tell me what the point of arcade and timed puzzles in a hardcore RPG is...I played all the old Wizardrys and yes there were some tough puzzles but most of them required using your mind instead of how fast can I click the keys on the keyboard...
Arctor wrote:This is the ULTIMATE "Missing the Point (of Legend of Grimrock)" post yet seen in the forums. Congratulations!
NakedGranny

Post by NakedGranny »

well, to be fair,
SpoilerShow
the iron door where you have to play block-the-falling-lights was excrutiating. after about ten minutes of retrying, i just said "fuck it" and ignored it. didn't have anything behind it that was nearly worth the damage to my mental health.
g4merguy

Post by g4merguy »

no offense but you are retarded

1) read reviews before you buy games...every single review mentions the puzzles...huge part of the game.

2) if you can't figure the puzzle out you do a quick youtube or google search and you will find a solution in 10 seconds

3) this is an arcade game?

4) is this a troll thread and am I feeding you?
Zero

Post by Zero »

BigCTM wrote:I liked the game at first but all the timed and arcade like puzzles just drove me crazy. If I wanted an arcade game I would play Mario! I certainly do not want Mario like arcade puzzles in a hardcore RPG.

Still looking for a great old school RPG that is turn based instead of real time...Any suggestions?
DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.
Last edited by Zero on Wed May 02, 2012 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
t0tem

Post by t0tem »

well you could try the might and magic games if you can find a place that sells them. those are fairly straight forward and optionally turn-based.
krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok »

Having completed the game and found most secrets, I can tell you it's perfectly playable without needing fast reactions. Not a single critical puzzle in the game requires you to play it like an arcade game. The most difficult thing you do is plan several moves ahead and then execute them rhythmically (not quickly). Even my 68 year old dad who has diabetes and poor reactions is now on level 6 and having a blast!

The "white blobs" achievement mentioned upthread is probably the most difficult thing in the game, being the closest to a reaction test because you're being asked to play Guitar Hero for a few seconds. It's a non-essential secret, and the reason it gives you an achievement is because it's not a cakewalk. But it's not that difficult if you look at the pattern and move methodically.

Sorry to hear you felt you wasted your money, but if you actually took a deep breath and approached the game more methodically you'd do much better.
wolfkampf

Post by wolfkampf »

I wouldn't call this an arcade game but I honestly don't like the "stick and move" and "move just right" stuff either. The great thing about role-playing is that you don't have to be quick; the characters you play are agile, strong and even more intelligent than you or I.

I would enjoy less focus on quick or precise movement and more on puzzles that can be solved with our wits alone. Heck, maybe in the future, if a character is particularly intelligent, he might suggest how to solve the puzzle. :)
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

Zero wrote:DO NOT FEED THE TROLL.
No he is not a Troll, the definition of a troll is someone who posts once and disappears, a troll does not reply after his first post.
BigCTM wrote:I liked the game at first but all the timed and arcade like puzzles just drove me crazy. If I wanted an arcade game I would play Mario! I certainly do not want Mario like arcade puzzles in a hardcore RPG.

There are not that many timed puzzles, but are they annoying, yeah for sure.

You will find they will just spam you to death for suggesting anything is wrong, lol.