how much and how can i pay?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Kurpitsa

Re: how much and how can i pay?

Post by Kurpitsa »

Shadow wrote:They said they will try to break into them.
Source

Code: Select all

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gog_coms_plan_for_the_future_gets_some_news
Cool. It's a possibility then.
Karkarov

Post by Karkarov »

Mameluk wrote:
Kurpitsa wrote:Does GOG allow new releases?
Even if they don't, they should make an exception with this title... It honors all that was grand with the good old dungeon crawls.
GOG does sometimes do new releases. They sure did with the Witcher 2 anyway.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Kurpitsa wrote:Does GOG allow new releases?
They have stated their intent to sell not just good old games in the future. I have bought games from them that were only a couple years old at the time.

I would also love a Gog release, and that would be the one I'd buy unless AHG chose to sell direct.
Botiquita

Post by Botiquita »

limner wrote:what is the game price and how i could pay? paypall?

will thisa game be distribuited only by download meanings or also retail version?
I firmly believe that a good indie project like LoG should be full priced ($49.99). 10 + quality hours deserve it.
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

I don't know about that. $49.95 seems a bit high. I am very much for developers making a ton of money, and it is obvious that all of us here want this game, yet we must admit that we are a niche crowd. In order to bring in more players, and thus make more money, the game has to have a fairly low barrier to entry, including the price aspect of it. I'd say a $20 to $30 price tag would be a lot more in line with that people are prepared to pay.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Alaric wrote:I don't know about that. $49.95 seems a bit high.
Actually... It should really be more ~industry wide, but I'm glad it's not ~I couldn't afford them all.
The price of a computer game hasn't changed in 20 years... (but the value of the money has).
*Most games these days sell for less than Eye of the Beholder did.
What cost $49.95 in 1991 would cost $83.13 in 2012.
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

The price of games has gone down in absolute terms, that much is true. At the same time, there is a lot more competition out there, games are significantly more mainstream, and the industry is different from what it used to be 24 years ago. In order to stay competitive, one must look not at how the original Eye of the Beholder was priced, but at the realities of the current market. If Skyrim costs $60 and an average indie game costs from $5 to $20, is it really prudent to charge $50 for Grimrock?

Either way, we are not the ones to decide this. Whatever the price turns out to be, I hope the developers make money and continue working on games.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Alaric wrote:...
Its not an ideal world ~it should be more, but you can't compete with something like Skyrim except with a niche audience of rabid fans. It's like a 'mom & pop' grocery trying to compete with Walmart.

My thought was $29. You can get by on bulk sales... there are a lot more prospective buyers now than then.
(Even $29 might be steep... Jeff Vogel has dropped his prices down to $20 for new games and $15 for older ones.)
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

Alaric wrote:I don't know about that. $49.95 seems a bit high. I am very much for developers making a ton of money, and it is obvious that all of us here want this game, yet we must admit that we are a niche crowd. In order to bring in more players, and thus make more money, the game has to have a fairly low barrier to entry, including the price aspect of it. I'd say a $20 to $30 price tag would be a lot more in line with that people are prepared to pay.
Are you me? I was thinking about the same thing, with same prices, just with euros as the currency...

If you're putting your game up on Steam, then it MUST have a fairly low price. The millions and millions users on Steam are pretty much adjusted to those ridicilously low prices and discounts. As you said, they are more adjusted to those low barrier entries, so they're not expecting an indie game to cost more than 25. Yes, I'd say even 30 is too much, 24.99 would be the limit. I'd consider 19.99 a safe price on Steam.

Relying solely on a niche market is... not very good, especially for your first release.

Isaac wrote:
Alaric wrote:...
Its not an ideal world ~it should be more, but you can't compete with something like Skyrim except with a niche audience of rabid fans. It's like a 'mom & pop' grocery trying to compete with Walmart.

My thought was $29. You can get by on bulk sales... there are a lot more prospective buyers now than then.
(Even $29 might be steep... Jeff Vogel has dropped his prices down to $20 for new games and $15 for older ones.)
LoG isn't going to be competing with huge AAA titles like Skyrim... no way, there's just no sense or point in doing so. This is an indie game, coming pretty much out of the bushes for the mainstream audience. It's the success and not the competition we're interested in. LoG sells fairly well, Almost Human gets rich enough and makes more games for people like us, and everyone is happy.

Speaking of Jeff Vogel, he is in a pretty interesting situation in the gaming market. It's like he has this own little loop hole, where he can release the same game, with just more polish and a new story, and it will still sell better than most newcomer indie titles. I guess that's what you get for doing your own stuff for +17 years...

He is also selling his games MUCH cheaper on Steam than on his own site, for example. Avadon: The Black Fortress is a whopping $20 on his site, but only $6.99 on Steam... Check out the prices for yourself.
Their site: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/mm5/me ... adon_Games
Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/112100/
So basically, with this, he is taking advantage of two different audiences, both old and new. The new ones flock to the cheap Steam version, and his old loyalist fans will keep buying his games on his site... I'd say its remarkably well played, something to take note from, guys.
bugnomore

Post by bugnomore »

Isaac wrote:
Alaric wrote:I don't know about that. $49.95 seems a bit high.
Actually... It should really be more ~industry wide, but I'm glad it's not ~I couldn't afford them all.
The price of a computer game hasn't changed in 20 years... (but the value of the money has).
*Most games these days sell for less than Eye of the Beholder did.
What cost $49.95 in 1991 would cost $83.13 in 2012.
At the same time, value of games has significantly decreased. 10 hours playtime and barebone box content are the norm now. To get the same goodies in your box you got in many games in 1991 you have to buy the collector's edition, which can cost 100 bucks and up. A notable exception was The Witcher 2, which contained lots of fluff even in the basic edition and at a lower price than the competition.