Food Issues

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Thels

Food Issues

Post by Thels »

So I'm slowly progressing through the dungeon, trying to scout every corner, and then when I'm done with the level, I'm checking to see if I forgot any secrets. Then I move all my gear down the stairs of the next level (save for the Legionnaire shields and pikes, found just way too many of those).

But now it seems I have a real problem. I carried everything from everywhere with me, and didn't feed anyone until after the food icon appeared on their portrait, but now I just arrived at level 5, and I ran out of food. Got nothing left whatsoever.

Am I doomed for taking too much time on everything?
Darklord

Re: Food Issues

Post by Darklord »

I'll be honest it's going to be tough, there's a lot of food from Level 6 onwards. it is possible to make progress with no food though and everyone starving by using the healing crystals.
SpoilerShow
If you can make it to Lv 6, in the north is an infinite spawn of giant snails, which will give you as much food as you need!
I ran out of level 4 but managed to continue so it can be done, good luck! :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Eobersig

Post by Eobersig »

Thels wrote:So I'm slowly progressing through the dungeon, trying to scout every corner, and then when I'm done with the level, I'm checking to see if I forgot any secrets. Then I move all my gear down the stairs of the next level (save for the Legionnaire shields and pikes, found just way too many of those).

But now it seems I have a real problem. I carried everything from everywhere with me, and didn't feed anyone until after the food icon appeared on their portrait, but now I just arrived at level 5, and I ran out of food. Got nothing left whatsoever.

Am I doomed for taking too much time on everything?
You'll find bits and pieces of food,but try to go through level 5 fast, picking up food on the way. Hurry to make it to level 6 of the dungeon. You can always come back to level 5 later.
SpoilerShow
On level 6 there's a bunch of snails in a certain room (general direction: north-east) that respawn, i.e. a never-ending food supply.
That said, hmmm, no food at all left? Could be tough. Good luck.
tantalan

Post by tantalan »

I was really afraid that i ran out of food during the game (everybody was saying you can have food problems) and of torches as well so i took every food and torch with me :-) BUT my strategy was this: I always saved on every level. Than i tried to solve puzzels and discover all secrets. When i got it (i spent a lot of time for that) i loaded the game again and than i went really fast through puzzles and secrets. I know its annoying but it was my strategy how to be sure that i will have enough food.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Level 5 turned out not so bad. I found food left and right, and at the end when I was done moving all the stuff I found from level 4 to level 5 stairs I even had one of those beetle things left and none of my characters were starving. :)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Well done! :D

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Empyrean

Post by Empyrean »

You might want to stop carrying so much crap around. There's really never any use for it. You can't sell it.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Empyrean wrote:You might want to stop carrying so much crap around. There's really never any use for it. You can't sell it.
It's just a tick I have. :P
Empyrean

Post by Empyrean »

Thels wrote:
Empyrean wrote:You might want to stop carrying so much crap around. There's really never any use for it. You can't sell it.
It's just a tick I have. :P
Well, there's your problem.

As you go further down you'll accumulate even more useless crap and it'll take you even longer to move it all around the dungeon for no reason. It's only going to get worse for you from here.
Hissssa

Post by Hissssa »

If you want to set off Empyrean's tick you should take athletics! I organized just about everything in my dungeon too and it's all on levels 5 6 and 9 if I recall. I left a set of armor and weapons (with some food and a few torches) for that set of bones... you know.... "just in case".

Athletics is one way to stop worrying about food consumption; if you made a few insect characters that really helps too.

If you are having food problems be wary of some magic items...
SpoilerShow
as some of them increase food consumption while you wear them