Diablo 3

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
eharper256

Re: Diablo 3

Post by eharper256 »

Billick wrote:Well, you can't pause, but you can use a town portal, which is essentially the same thing. Also, your progress gets saved through regular checkpoints, so even if you quit the game in the middle of something, you won't lose much.
But, if its anything like prior Diablos, quitting after town portaling or using a waypoint = enemies respawn. Also, TP scrolls are a kinda pricey ingame commodity in the early game. Sure, they become cheap as chips later, but that early part is gonna be nasty. Again, its a waste of game resources for something that should be costless.

And, as Daniel says, there are many situations which it may be neccessary for you to provide your instant attention. This is normally doable with a simple tap of ESCAPE in nearly every other game FOR A GOOD REASON.

However, I retract my comment about Origin. For some reason I got it into my head that Blizzard was owned by EA. Because, hey, it feels like everything is owned by EA these days.

Even if ALT-TAB does pause, the problem is if the game doesn't negotiate with the server for X amount of time, it disconnects and ends your game. By the sounds of it, the monsters and drops are actually generated by the server rather than your machine... (making it sound remarkably like an MMO)
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Redoing from a recent save isn't to bad I guess... Well we'll see what the reviews have to say, that being said I assume it'll be an auto 9/10 most everywhere.

I'm not sure if Diablo is my kind of game any more.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
t0tem

Post by t0tem »

As one who played an un-godly amount of diablo2 and know nothing about programming, I think it's unfortunate that you can't pause when playing solo but if thats the price you have to pay for being able to switch seamlessly between single- and multiplayer mode with the same character, then it's still probably worth it for most players.
Of course the ideal solution would be that you could do both, but I guess that isn't practical for reasons of programming?
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

t0tem wrote:thats the price you have to pay for being able to switch seamlessly between single- and multiplayer mode with the same character, then it's still probably worth it for most players.
That's a price they want you to pay because it improves their bottom line (more people with forced exposure to the Auction House). They keep defending this move with the obviously contrived excuse that "players will be unhappy if they can't bring their single player character online." This is completely bogus. If a person wants a character that they play alone and sometimes bring online, they'll create a b.net character (just like they did in D2).
t0tem wrote:Of course the ideal solution would be that you could do both, but I guess that isn't practical for reasons of programming?
I can assure you that it has nothing to do with being practical to program.
t0tem

Post by t0tem »

Aha, well that certainly sounds probable. However with Diablo 2 you couldn't switch back and forth between single and bnet with the same character.
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

t0tem wrote:Aha, well that certainly sounds probable. However with Diablo 2 you couldn't switch back and forth between single and bnet with the same character.
No, but you could play Single Player on b.net (i.e. constant connection DRM, same as Diablo 3), but you ALSO had the option to play alone, disconnected, forever.

In other words, D2 had all the play modes D3 has, except it also had an additional mode that was truly "Single Player" (Offline).
t0tem

Post by t0tem »

Good point. But if you did play single player on bnet with D2, could you pause?
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

t0tem wrote:Good point. But if you did play single player on bnet with D2, could you pause?
No, you couldn't. So-called "Single Player" D2 on b.net is exactly the same as what they are pitching as "single player" for D3.
t0tem

Post by t0tem »

So they've basically just removed the single player option... I see the cause for irritation.
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

t0tem wrote:So they've basically just removed the single player option... I see the cause for irritation.
Yep, that pretty much sums it up.