10 reasons you should play Wizardry 8 after Grimrock:

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
OmegaProxima

Re: 10 reasons you should play Wizardry 8 after Grimrock:

Post by OmegaProxima »

One of the best games Iver played, along with the EOB series, lands of lore and more. I still wish someone makes wizardry 9 one day...
jansaresinas

Post by jansaresinas »

i finished wiz 8 with my party from wiz 7 (single fairy ninja), would say about 100 hours game time total

yes AI of monsters is really bad, but i liked the game nonetheless, really wanted to finish the trilogy...

wiz 7 was otoh probably the game i played the most (about 6-7 runs to the end). actually i was so obsessed with it that i made it a mission twice to cover the entire (ENTIRE) sea and all the rivers so there would be no blank spaces on the maps :P

anyone that hasnt played wiz7, should, its not so much a dungeon crawl as grimrock/dm/eob but good good fun.
cryocore

Post by cryocore »

DarkCecil13 wrote:Seriously, it's my favorite PC game last decade. I spent every waking hour 4 months of my life from beating it twice. Sleep went out the window. I got bored of Skyrim in december, just one month; played 160 hours. It only took me a staggering 220+150 hours beating Wizardry 8 twice ^_^

1. Retro dungeons
2. Hard difficulty (Adjustable for n00bs)
3. 16 playable races and 15 professions (Classes), start off with 1-6 characters and later, up to 2 RPCs. And you can change one's class any time they level up. It's designed that there is no wrong party to make. It's as balanced as it gets.
4. 4 *diverse* realms of magic spells
5. Fun battle system
6. Good story, if you read the manual.
7. If you're a number person, you will obsess over character development, which I enjoyed.
8. Inventory management is a must!
9. The voice acting is really really awesome and often laugh-out-loud hilarious
10. IT'S WIZARDRY!! You grew up playing Wizardry

BONUS 1: Your eyes WILL accommodate quickly to the dated 2001 graphics. How so? Trust me, my brain exploded from sensory overload briefly playing Skyrim while doing a Wiz8 run. The graphics are actually quite jarring playing a game like Skyrim or Grimrock. THEN, you then have to accommodate yourself to recent graphics. I find it hilarious, but it's true.

BONUS 2: Multiple endings, depending on what factions you are aligned to, and other things I don't want to spoil

Anyone here play it? How far did you get? Remember your parties?

I'm so passionate about Wizardry 8; that's why I posted!
Play it
Love it
Own it

in fact VII and 8 are among my top RPGs of all time
I still have them both (used to have Wizardy Gold, but I prefer the 'original' VII as the art style in Gold annoyed me. If anyone knows how to het Wizardy VII to run using the Gold sound assets I think I would be in nirvana.

Here are my Wizardy games
krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok »

Wizardry 8 was one of the best RPGs I've ever played. Of course I played it back in 2001 when it was shiny and new, clearly my impressions of the graphics are going to differ these days, but the core system is excellent. I honestly don't get the complaints about the combat either. Admittedly, there were a few areas where it was frustrating, but there were some truly epic,tactical fights for the most part. Like Grimrock, it took an old-school design and brought it up to modern standards in 2001. Over 10 years later it's not going to have quite that same edge, but the gameplay is undiminished. I still have the disks here somewhere, although I'd pay GOG good money for a hassle-free digital version.
mike30542

Post by mike30542 »

Coincidentally, I re-installed Wizardry 8 last week but haven't got around to starting it yet.
I also have on my games shelf "The Ultimate Wizardry Archives" which comprises Wizardry 1 - 7 & Wizardry Gold.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Moved to general discussion,

Wizardry 8 is excellent, personally when I last replayed it I added several mods which allow you to get to a much higher level and experience all sorts of new and funky stuff. Interestingly there are several enemies in the main game you probably wont meet without doing this as you don't get to a high enough level for them to spawn!

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

In agreement... I loved Wizardry 8 and it was difficult and it was extraordinarily long as well...
I am super stoked that Grimrock has rejuvenated and reminded me of the games I really liked not just endured like skyrim...
Marak

Post by Marak »

Going to have to agree as well. Played Wiz 8 years ago when it was new-ish, and had a blast with it. My favorite was my Ranger with the tiger portrait and the "lazy" voice - hilarious. "Pick it up. Stray item. How exciting, I think I'm improving." (all in a bored monotone XD).

Anyway, if you can get past the graphics (which weren't even all that stellar at the time and haven't aged particularly well) and the stupid amounts of time you spend as the hordes of monsters the game sends your way move one at a time every round, you can have a lot of fun with this game.

It's immersive, character building is fun, the voice acting is silly enough to be funny yet not so cheesy that it starts to detract from the experience, and I really liked the storyline - the Dark Savant made for a compelling villain that was different from your average Big Bad.

Dammit, you're making me want to find my CDs so I can play through it again...
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

This thread actually made me find Wizardry 8 and install it. It looks superb, even if a bit clunky. I will probably need to go through the HUUUUGE manual because dear god, I can't figure out anything.

Red gems over enemies? Within range of my party? Can hit my party members colored X? What's the deal? :D

Also, some of the professions are really wacky and I can't even open my inventory but what the hell :D

The only issue I had with it is that I can't name my custom generated characters. I can start a new game with premade chars but after I distrubute my points and proficiencies for a new char, it won't let me type in the Name / Nickname boxes.
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

Those who like W8 should also check out these David W. Bradley Games and try to get them running. (you will miss something if you don't try)

Wizards&Warriors:
(the unknown alternative Wizardry 8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizards_%2 ... ideo_game)

-> essential: 'W&W Patch v1.00' and 'W&W Graphics Patch':
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/wizards ... oads.shtml

----------------------
Dungeon Lords
(real time action fights with wizardry-like level system - 'Diablo for connoisseurs')

-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Lords
Last edited by Mychaelh on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.