Save editor

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
glyn_ie

Save editor

Post by glyn_ie »

Current version: Version 0.5.0
For those who're having difficulty running the editor: Editor runtime files

Custom saves:
SpoilerShow
001 -> New game, Hard, Toorum and 3 of the default party, Thunderstruck. Includes a custom scroll and a torch which burns forever (practically).
002 -> Same as 001, but all characters have almost unlimited haste.
Bug list (3 known bugs):
SpoilerShow
- Currently the editor does not take into consideration the items in containers when saving as this appears to be determined by the ITEM header length variable (and the respective item location references).
Work arounds:
-> Either don't edit saves with one or more players holding one or more items in sacks or chests (or be prepared to lose those items unless you modify the appropriate variables for each item). Remember however that you can place the containers on the floor before making modifications and place them back into your inventory later. Or...
-> Set DebugShowDump=True in the LOGSavED.cfg file. Make changes to the data in the editor and then instead of saving, dump the data. Open the .dat file with a hex editor and find the container(s) ITEM header(s) and modify the length (4 byte long) variable following this tag to account for all the items in the container, not just the number of bytes for the sack/chest itself. Finally, load the editor back up, load the save and instead of editing using the text editor simply load the .dat file with 'Load Data'. Save the file and you're done. (Remember however, if you do this you'll also need to adjust the CHAR and CHAM length variables accordingly.)

- The 'carriage return' character for strings doesn't appear in the text editor, but it is still there.
Work around:
-> Since the character is still there (albeit invisible), you can copy and paste it or delete it. To do so, highlight the surrounding characters of which it's in-between. This is useful for making your own scrolls.

- Some reports have shown that saves with custom portraits may produce files with an unusual structure, causing the editor to fail to read the data correctly.
Work around:
-> Either attempt to update the portrait reference with the editor (play without a custom portrait until you've prepared your save game), or avoid using this feature. Remember however that you could always use a hex editor to repair the file or work around the problem.
Original post:
SpoilerShow
Hey.

Since a level editor is being taken care of by the team, I'm thinking of a save editor (providing that's alright with the developers).
(I've got every Steam achievement now, and completed a run through with Toorum, so I'm ready to start messing around. :))

Problem is, I'm not sure what method of encryption is used in the save files. Can anyone shed any light on it?
Last edited by glyn_ie on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 31 times in total.
VR_Dragon

Re: Save editor

Post by VR_Dragon »

The ability to add items to inventory, adjust stats, and increase skill points, trait picks, etc... would be nice.
kitty

Post by kitty »

VR_Dragon wrote:The ability to add items to inventory, adjust stats, and increase skill points, trait picks, etc... would be nice.
This can be done thru lua scripting for sure.
glyn_ie

Post by glyn_ie »

No worries. Once I've decoded the data, I'll probably implement every option the save file has to offer. Initially basic stuff at first of course, and add to the features with each version until I've completely mapped the save structure.

Of course, it'd be good to get a response from the developers on this subject. It may be the case that they don't want their method of encryption to be cracked, or they don't want a save editor made as it allows cheating (unlock all achievements) and may kind of ruin the game.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

There is no encryption in game. Save file is simply zlib data stream with 12B header ;-)
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

any additional work being done on the save editor?
The only one I find is the one that costs me 39 bucks to join a site just to download the editor.
glyn_ie

Post by glyn_ie »

Raptor wrote:There is no encryption in game. Save file is simply zlib data stream with 12B header ;-)
Really? Okay, I'll check it out.
sapientCrow wrote:any additional work being done on the save editor?
The only one I find is the one that costs me 39 bucks to join a site just to download the editor.
I wouldn't trust any of those sites buddy, probably a scam.

Will report back my progress shortly.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

You can try to decompile SaveGame.lua and you will have full save file structure ;-)
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

sapientCrow wrote:The only one I find is the one that costs me 39 bucks to join a site just to download the editor.
I was curious about the editor you mentioned costing 3x the game it was for so I had a look. The same author is selling it for $5 on another site which supports the GOG and Steam versions. Still an absurd price yet If you are interested Google:

Code: Select all

0x90 skills editor
Not something I'm interested in let alone willing to pay for, caveat emptor.
Sagagemini

Post by Sagagemini »

Would love that. Already finished the game twice and wated to start a game with some tweaks, like choosing my weapons, more skills per level and increased stats at start.