Diablo 3

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Billick

Re: Diablo 3

Post by Billick »

I played the beta over the weekend and I will definitely be buying it. I was a huge fan of D2, and I think D3 will be great as well. From reading the Blizzard forums, it looks like people are very divided over the new direction they have taken with the game. Some love the changes, and others think it's too dumbed down.
Halls of Barrian - current version 1.0.3 - Steam Nexus
Me Grimrock no bozo!
TZO2k12

Post by TZO2k12 »

earthyearth wrote:Diablo 3 is pretty cool. Anyone here planning on playing it?
As long as they have that stinkin' always-on DRM, then....Fuck NO! :evil: (Not even the demo, why tease myself?) :roll:

And I will not risk infecting my system with an unofficial version either, so it looks like I won't be playing it at all! :|

Bah, who need D3 anyways, when I just bought the Mount&Blade collection for $7.50? :mrgreen: :geek:
Assumptions are the practical logic of the ignorant.
PSY

Post by PSY »

Being a huge Diablo fan, I'll definitely be playing it.
I've been playing the beta all weekend. The effects are awesome, and spells/skills really rock as your character raises in level.

BUT: It's nothing compared to Diablo 1. D1 was just earth-shattering ^^.
Remember the gloomy, eerie atmosphere? Mobs had no life bar, items were not highlighted on the ground. You actually had to search the floor for rings and amulets that were dropped because they were so tiny that all you heard was a 'clink' when they hit the floor ^^. And if you died, your stuff remained with the corpse, and sometimes it was a hell of a fight to get your items back ^^

D3 is really nice. But it's got that WoW style...everything's too fluffy and iridescent. And split loot? WHAT THE F*** ??? But COOP mode is fun like hell, and man, it's really bloody :twisted: :twisted:
And I'm dying to see how that real-money auction house is going to work out!

But first things first, I'm not going to play D3 before I've finished LoG on hard ^^

PSY
Last edited by PSY on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

Won't support Blizzard or their continued push toward ridiculously binding DRM. Constant internet connection required for single player? No thanks, Blizzard, I prefer to still be be able to play when your servers are down (or my ISP is). Also, are you aware there are plenty of people in the world with bandwidth caps or no constant internet at all? Seriously, screw you, Blizzard.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09 ... ffect-you/

EDIT - I say this as an avid fan of both Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 (some of my most played games of all time). It's a shame to see how much we're collectively willing to give up as gamers. It's truly sad how chained we are to behemoths like Blizzard and the stranglehold their popular series' have on us. I realize my boycott places me in the vast minority of gamers, and I doubt our small impact will be seen or heard, but I can't help but place my principles above my desire for a single video game.
earthyearth

Post by earthyearth »

I think the constant internet connection is required because of the real live money auction house, they dont want ppl to cheat and create fake items
Saice

Post by Saice »

I will most likely get it as something I can derp around on with my freinds.

As saddly I do not foresee a Multiplayer Co-Op Grimrock anytime soon.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
Blue

Post by Blue »

im not gonna get diablo 3 either even tho i loved diablo 1 and 2, i just find the game easy and way to boring to bother playing trough normal, so i might end up haveing fun.
also their seem way to greedy with the game, just wondering if im the only one?

only online to reduce piracy.
no mods or modding of the game to reduce hacks and money spend on preventing it.
really easy game (at least normal) to appeal to a much wider audiance.
auto skills and stats points, where customizations comes from items to encourge the use off auction house, instead of letting yourself choose as diablo2 and adding reskills
insane mode, not good enof items = 1 hit bye a normal zombie... there to encourge the auction house? or really there for the hardcore players...

earthyearth wrote:I think the constant internet connection is required because of the real live money auction house, they dont want ppl to cheat and create fake items
that shoulden't be the reason, in diablo 2 your singelplayer or lan character was saved on the computer and over battlenet it was saved on their servers.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Does anyone know if it has decent quests, or is it just click, click, click on someone with a bubble above their head, then run to dungeon click, click, click, loot everywhere? :(

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Rensje

Post by Rensje »

Darklord wrote:Does anyone know if it has decent quests, or is it just click, click, click on someone with a bubble above their head, then run to dungeon click, click, click, loot everywhere? :(

Daniel.
There are a lot more quests than there were in Diablo 2, and some of them are a little more involving than you might remember from the old games*, but overall they are just there and don't add to the overall experience much. They are of course there to drive the story forward, and the story is much better presented this time around, but that also means that the game is more linear than it ever was before.

This is all just based on my limited experience with the beta, though. Only about a third of the first act is playable in the beta, and there are four acts in the game. A good bit of that first act is also meant to ease you into the game, so the areas are narrow and getting lost is simply impossible. By the time you reach the game's first proper dungeon, you suddenly get a lot more space to roam around, and branching paths start to open up.

SpoilerShow
New Tristram's blacksmith is tasked with killing his wife, who suffers from plague and is slowly turning undead. He cannot bear the thought of doing it himself and begs of you to help him carry out this horrible task.
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

earthyearth wrote:I think the constant internet connection is required because of the real live money auction house, they dont want ppl to cheat and create fake items
That's a completely ridiculous argument (and yes, I'm aware that's their stance on it). If you want a constant internet connection for battle.net characters, that's not very surprising. To force the same constraints on someone who is only playing a single player character and is aware that this decision prevents that character from playing on b.net or accessing the auction house is a stupidly limiting decision.

Yes, the auction house has a lot to do with their decision making process, because if they can force you to always be online and have to do everything through b.net, they can constantly rub the AH in your face and tempt you to buy things (i.e. more money for them).