Do you have general combat tips to share?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Eobersig

Re: Do you have general combat tips to share?

Post by Eobersig »

I feel you generally have two options when fighting mobs: Either use your superior twitch skills or use your superior situational awareness. :)

Tactic 1 involves dancing around the mob, tactic 2 involves using doors, traps, gates, hallways to your advantage. Both tactics can feel a bit "cheesy" but that's just how it is. In both cases, if you find yourself getting hit by more than one mob at a time you already have made a fault.

Okay, I never made it past level 5 (I'm one of the twitch challenged people with problems with timed puzzles), thus take this advise as what it is: newbie wisdom. :)
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

tanelorn wrote:I have to say, even though I've played tons of these block-style dungeon crawl games, it has always (and still does) felt like cheating to do the move and strike their side thing. Backpedaling and using ranged weapons on a slow enemy is one thing, but the tactics described above really feels like you are taking advantage of a game mechanic rather than playing properly. If you can fight and win against a 4x skeleton team without getting hit once, that rings of exploit more than anything.

Of course, I realize that this is how the games were made and it's part of how you play these games. Still, it feels wrong...
Is that not what real battlle is. Taking advantage and exploiting your enemies weaknesses. If your enemy is slower ..move and stick..move and stick. Why would anyone stand toe to toe and fight some big slow enormously strong foe. There is no such thing as fighting fair..when you are fighting for your life.
zespi

Post by zespi »

Thank you, a lot of great tips here. And in adjacent threads as well, well done. I'm guessing I need to write them up and submit to the gamebanshee guy or something.
Sheep

Post by Sheep »

Don't get trapped in a hallway where they can attack you from both directions
Thkya

Post by Thkya »

tanelorn wrote:I have to say, even though I've played tons of these block-style dungeon crawl games, it has always (and still does) felt like cheating to do the move and strike their side thing. Backpedaling and using ranged weapons on a slow enemy is one thing, but the tactics described above really feels like you are taking advantage of a game mechanic rather than playing properly. If you can fight and win against a 4x skeleton team without getting hit once, that rings of exploit more than anything.

Of course, I realize that this is how the games were made and it's part of how you play these games. Still, it feels wrong...
Uh, have you versed Ogres yet? To say the least... :shock:
Steam: Thkya
Fargol

Post by Fargol »

Empyrean wrote:Other than playing with doors, the most important thing is to keep moving. If you have a 2x2 room with a squad of four skeleton legionnaires in it, you should be able to kill all of them without taking a single hit. Position yourself diagonally from them, attack the square as they start to move into it, then quickly move so you're diagonal from them again. If you do it right, they'll never even get a chance to swing at you. Repeat the process until they're dead.
This works every time with every enemy I've encountered (spiders are tough because they're quick), but to me this just seems like a silly tactic.
Bardamu

Post by Bardamu »

SpoilerShow
Nearly every fight is easy, if you have 1 or better 2 frostmages, cause you can freeze the enemy, then hit him with everyone (for full exp) and then finish or backstab or whatever. You can skill this mages towards fire and air then, cause this is real damage for later enemies. Frostbolt needs 13 points, spellcraft 10 for using Zhanduls orb later (combined with a second orb or the shaman staff and the wizards hat (all in all +9 wisdom) you earn mass energy for your mages.
coasttech

Post by coasttech »

I'm I the only one that walked them to the trap door then let them fall in?
rakenan

Post by rakenan »

The most generally applicable tactic is this: don't let enemies attack you. Take whatever steps you have available to make sure that you can damage them and they cannot even attack you back. Maneuvering around their sides, slamming a door in their face, just killing from range, do whatever you have to do. Just remember, with very *VERY* few exceptions, if you are standing toe to toe with your enemy, trading blows, you are doing something desperately wrong.
NakedGranny

tanking and you

Post by NakedGranny »

rakenan wrote:When they make it possible to spec a character as a "tank" and have him actually take the beatings, I'll care whether my tactics are cheap. Since they instead made it so the only way to win combat is to not let enemies actually attack you, I play the game by the rules they give me. Dancing around your foes to avoid getting attacked is the way the game is meant to be played. It's like complaining that it feels wrong in chess to capture a pawn from all the way across the board with your rook, when the pawn only gets to move one square straight ahead.
Fighters with decent Dex, the Evasive Trait and decent Armor skill (up to Light or Heavy depending on what you have available in your inventory) can take absolutely massive assault. if you're building your Fighters to be glass cannons with pure Strength and Willpower and no Armor or Dodge, of course you're gonna be eaten.

think of this way: Fighters only need Strength because armor and weapons are heavy. Dexterity is your tanks' main attribute, ahead of even Vitality. the Evasion attribute seems to be a pure %chance to dodge, and it's easily possible to have both frontline Fighters at 40-50% Evasion in mid/late game with 40-50 Protection. that's plenty to absorb a surprising number of blows from even a Tunnel Ogre, though "dancing" is still what will avoid the majority of oncoming attacks.

bottom line: you can go toe to toe if you build right, but it's not the most efficient.