Minor bug: dead characters can still use torches

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
hexaae

Minor bug: dead characters can still use torches

Post by hexaae »

Minor bug (1.1.4): dead characters can still carry torches and use them to cast light in the room. Obviously torches shouldn't work in the hands of your dead characters.
Saice

Re: Minor bug: dead characters can still use torches

Post by Saice »

Agreed.

Also it would be nice if they did some sort of party encumbrance when someone died. While I am not a fan of the DM style where the bones and all their items fall to the floor. I feel their should be some sort of impact when lugging around a dead body or three.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
hefa

Post by hefa »

I mentioned this earlier too. I think using dead characters as extended inventories+torch bearers is an odd thing..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1122
hexaae

Post by hexaae »

hefa wrote:I mentioned this earlier too. I think using dead characters as extended inventories+torch bearers is an odd thing..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1122
Well, IMHO I think it's ok if your party is lugging around a dead friend and manipulate his/her inventory (bit weird but ok). Maybe a -1 Strength could be applied to the rest of the party.... For sure dead characters shouldn't be able to take/use anything in their hands though...

NEW IDEA:
Hope one day they'll implement extended parties with a Dismiss option to recruit new characters found lost in the dungeon (just like Eye of the Beholder did...). Would add more variety....
Anton

Post by Anton »

If the party is somehow able to carry a corpse around the dungeon it is not much more of a stretch to think that they could stick a torch in his/her belt. :D
zespi

Post by zespi »

Anton wrote:If the party is somehow able to carry a corpse around the dungeon it is not much more of a stretch to think that they could stick a torch in his/her belt. :D
Absolutely. I see nothing wrong with the current state of inventory/torch of a dead character. I'm also guessing this is by design.
hexaae

Post by hexaae »

Anton wrote:If the party is somehow able to carry a corpse around the dungeon it is not much more of a stretch to think that they could stick a torch in his/her belt. :D
C'mon! It's unrealistic! :D
If you stick a torch in the belt he/she will get burned quickly too ;)
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

hexaae wrote:
C'mon! It's unrealistic! :D
If you stick a torch in the belt he/she will get burned quickly too ;)

Perhaps they just light the corpse on fire then? Won't matter once they find those resurrection crystals. :lol:
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Allow me to hijack your thread...

There's another thing about torches that bothers me. IIRC it was even in DM.
When you pick up a torch (the cursor becomes a torch) the lights go out.

Why can't a torch continue burning in "picked up" mode?
IMHO, torches should only go out when on the floor/in an alcove/etc. or in someone's inventory.
Insectoid

Post by Insectoid »

hexaae wrote:Minor bug (1.1.4): dead characters can still carry torches and use them to cast light in the room. Obviously torches shouldn't work in the hands of your dead characters.
I don't see a problem there. Dragging your passed away fellow through the dungeon with a torch in his cold dead hand seems possible to me. :lol: Maybe the positioning of the light-source could be adjusted in this cases, so that it comes more from below... :D

Btw: Dead characters can even mix potions, imho something even more unexplainable than dead people holding a torch.

Kind regards
Insectoid