With regret

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
alfa

Re: With regret

Post by alfa »

A puzzle game shouldnt be a walk in the park for every body.
Some ppl will get stuck on puzzles some on mob fights. Everyone has a different strength.
mike30542

Post by mike30542 »

dazman76 wrote: mike30542 - are you still with us? Did you manage to persevere and get past the dreaded poison clouds? :)
Restarted on easy mode. Not got that far yet & still undecided whether to persevere :(
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Hi Mike,

I really hope you get further into the game this time, I've had so much enjoyment out of it. :)
SpoilerShow
If you up Earth magic to 13 you will get the Poison Shield spell, it does help.
Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
dazman76

Post by dazman76 »

mike30542 wrote:Restarted on easy mode. Not got that far yet & still undecided whether to persevere :(
Stick with it mate! :) I won't lie to you - there are harder situations than the one that prompted your initial post. However, that was a particularly devious trick that caught me out on my first visit. As I said, I went all the way back through the other levels in the hope of finding useful items or another route - only to return to the start of level 4, and finally it clicked. I got past those guys on the first attempt after returning :) I just needed to get my old-school hat back on, and re-learn some of the stuff that EOTB and other games taught me back in the day :) I haven't struggled that much with any other stuff, although it is difficult - and the crabs will probably make you cry when you first discover them :) lol, evil buggers.
Fargol

Post by Fargol »

dazman76 wrote:
mike30542 wrote:Restarted on easy mode. Not got that far yet & still undecided whether to persevere :(
Stick with it mate! :) I won't lie to you - there are harder situations than the one that prompted your initial post. However, that was a particularly devious trick that caught me out on my first visit. As I said, I went all the way back through the other levels in the hope of finding useful items or another route - only to return to the start of level 4, and finally it clicked. I got past those guys on the first attempt after returning :) I just needed to get my old-school hat back on, and re-learn some of the stuff that EOTB and other games taught me back in the day :) I haven't struggled that much with any other stuff, although it is difficult - and the crabs will probably make you cry when you first discover them :) lol, evil buggers.
Funny thing about this game - I'm finding the combat not hard at all, once I got the hang of the 'squaredance' technique, and (finally) creating a party that's very efficient. That I caught on the the "tricks" of combat surprises me, being an old coot and all. Granted, I've barely begun level 5, but still.

It's the puzzles that will lead to me abandonment of the game. This is NOT a condemnation of the game, but I've never been a fan of a puzzle-heavy games where many of the puzzles just seem contrived. It destroys the immersion for me. My memory may be failing me but I don't recall any of the EoB games being this frustrating.

Again, a fine job by the devs and despite a few odd design omissions, I still rate LoG 4.5 / 5.0.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Fargol wrote: It's the puzzles that will lead to me abandonment of the game. This is NOT a condemnation of the game, but I've never been a fan of a puzzle-heavy games where many of the puzzles just seem contrived. It destroys the immersion for me. My memory may be failing me but I don't recall any of the EoB games being this frustrating.

Again, a fine job by the devs and despite a few odd design omissions, I still rate LoG 4.5 / 5.0.
LoG takes after Dungeon Master more than EoB in that respect, DM is filled with tough puzzles!

Don't forget if you do get stuck, feel free to come on the forums and ask for a hint. :)

Daniel.
Fargol

Post by Fargol »

Darklord wrote:
Fargol wrote: It's the puzzles that will lead to me abandonment of the game. This is NOT a condemnation of the game, but I've never been a fan of a puzzle-heavy games where many of the puzzles just seem contrived. It destroys the immersion for me. My memory may be failing me but I don't recall any of the EoB games being this frustrating.

LoG takes after Dungeon Master more than EoB in that respect, DM is filled with tough puzzles!

Don't forget if you do get stuck, feel free to come on the forums and ask for a hint. :)

Daniel.
Never played DM much. I remember starting it and not getting far.

Many times I quit LoG out of total frustration, yet I always go back to it. It really is a fine game, and harkened back to the EoB's.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Fargol wrote: Never played DM much. I remember starting it and not getting far.
Worth replaying, I was playing it just before LoG. Very good fun! :)

Plenty info here, on running it on modern systems,

http://www.dungeon-master.com/

Daniel.
Fargol

Post by Fargol »

Darklord wrote:
Fargol wrote: Never played DM much. I remember starting it and not getting far.
Worth replaying, I was playing it just before LoG. Very good fun! :)

Plenty info here, on running it on modern systems,

http://www.dungeon-master.com/

Daniel.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
seebs

Post by seebs »

Just a warning: If you think LoG is frustrating, you are gonna be AMAZED by DM. And even more so by CSB.