Broken compass, seems fine to me?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Drax

Re: Broken compass, seems fine to me?

Post by Drax »

dbgager wrote: Regardles ..they still point towards the north.
That's not regardless, that's you're wrong about the definition of a compass. Here's a better one:
A device used to determine geographic direction, usually consisting of a magnetic needle or needles horizontally mounted or suspended and free to pivot until aligned with the earth's magnetic field..

See, much clearer :-)
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

affa wrote:
dbgager wrote:Well then ..why argue it. It obviously works just like it is supposed to..Why complain because it makes you think a little more than you want to.

Its only used for old school map drawing anyway..Its pretty useless if you have the automap turned on.
Um. I just mapped the entire game on grid paper, and perhaps that's why i care? You obviously didn't. Which is why you don't care.
Your absolutely wrong about that..I have mapped the game also. Up to my current 9th level. I would never play a game with an old school option with an automap. But I do not care because I do understand how a compass works..and have no problem with it at all.
Last edited by dbgager on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Drax wrote:
dbgager wrote: Regardles ..they still point towards the north.
That's not regardless, that's you're wrong about the definition of a compass. Here's a better one:
A device used to determine geographic direction, usually consisting of a magnetic needle or needles horizontally mounted or suspended and free to pivot until aligned with the earth's magnetic field..

See, much clearer :-)
Not my defintiion..Got it from Merrian Webster..
Last edited by dbgager on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

That is a better definiton however. Still makes the same point about what a compass is though.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Kinda. It's still lacking, you'd often use a gyrocompass to find True North (not magnetic) which is more useful for navigation.
seebs

Post by seebs »

The compass does what I expect it to do, which is that the red needle points north. If they really wanted to "improve" it, I think the thing to do would be just to add NSEW that rotate with the needle to make it more obvious.

I've seen a lot of compasses for cars where the device was structured such that, looking at it, you saw an indication of the direction you were facing. Basically, the NSEW part was the magnetized part, so the north pole was labeled "S" and the south pole labeled "N". So if you looked at it, and saw N, that meant that the south pole was pointing towards you, and thus you were facing north. And a lot of in-car navigation systems do this likewise.

But I'm used to in-game compasses where the needle points towards whatever it is that I care about. So it seemed normal to me.
dbgager

Post by dbgager »

Or you have these compasses that are in bubbles, that are hanging on the rear view mirrors of a lot of vehicles. They are simply compasses with a rotating dial that is backwards ..SO they work exactly like a normal compass. But they actually show you which direction you are heading.

. S
E W
. N

In this kind of compass. The north side of the dial is actually polarized as a north pole ( opposite of a regular compass ). SO when you are going north it will be repelled, and will be the side you are viewing.

Seebs was thinking about these compasses at the same time as me....beat me to it.