An all-level-connecting Stairway

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
DJK

Re: An all-level-connecting Stairway

Post by DJK »

tbh, having a combination for every single level wouldn't be feasable... I mean what if you missed and bam 3 levels back (or front)... better is just to have one "teleportation spell" that opens a select level menu to choose where you want to go :))
Drax

Post by Drax »

If you can do that, sure. There's no menu in menu at the moment though. Really, until we get some firm details on the Mod tools, it's all hypothesising.
seebs

Post by seebs »

Just for comparsion: DM let you pick three runes from a selection of six each, so 216 total spells were conceptually possible.

Grimrock lets you pick up to four from a selection of 9. That turns out to give you 255 possible spells (126 4-rune, 84 3-rune, 36 2-rune, and 9 1-rune). So there's a little more room for spells. There could be more if you allowed 5-rune spells (another 126) or 6-rune (another 84).

Would be sort of cool to use 5-rune and 6-rune for utility spells. Expensive due to large number of runes, but they could do seriously cool stuff. Could also require points in two different magics, creating a real incentive to not just specialize in a single school.
affa

Post by affa »

Drax wrote: Yeah, pretty much. The game's only using 19 combinations at the moment so plenty of room.

e: If you were going down that route, I'd limit it so you can't teleport to your floor, nor one up or below so as not to make combat unduly easy.
maybe? i'd like for mages to be more useful. perhaps fizzle if enemies are in the area? but i do understand your concern.
affa

Post by affa »

DJK wrote:tbh, having a combination for every single level wouldn't be feasable... I mean what if you missed and bam 3 levels back (or front)... better is just to have one "teleportation spell" that opens a select level menu to choose where you want to go :))
oh, that's totally what i meant. same spell, with an option screen popup.

to be quite honest, i'd love this sort of thing for other spells as well - for example, enchanting requires shuffling inventory rather than being able to say, cast the spell then just click on someone's arrows.

actually, i'll write up a separate post on that.
littlejediowen

Post by littlejediowen »

I think a genie that warps you to the stair entrance of a level (the stairs down to level 2 for level 1) would be practical, and there'd be a little lamp on the floor next to stairs and stuff to warp you places
PSY

Post by PSY »

A solution that would be very easy to implement is a teleporter rotation.
Just add a teleporter field near the main stairways. You step into it, and it beams you through levels like the teleporter field in level 6 (sequencis).
Just the time between the teleports should be a bit longer so you can exit the field easily.

PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return