Why is there No Quiver?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Gudadantza

Re: Why is there No Quiver?

Post by Gudadantza »

Darklord wrote:The cool things about mods is everyone can decide if they want them or not, I spent ages going through possible mods for Skyrim, just so many possibilities! :lol:

Daniel.
I hope the modding kit to be so confortable to use as the Elder scrolls one. Any clue in how it will be?

Greetings.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Not sure sorry, But I reckon the AH guys have some awesome plans for LoG. :P

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

Darklord wrote:Not sure sorry, But I reckon the AH guys have some awesome plans for LoG. :P

Daniel.
Glad to hear this
dark

Post by dark »

Crash wrote:
Sol_HSA wrote:Let's say there's a quiver. Problems:
2. Switching between arrow types just got more complicated.
You're right. Any benefit I was thinking about is canceled by this fact.

Personally I don’t care for the different type of arrows in the game, what good are they once they are fired off and loose that charge. You’re left with a basic arrow. So this point is mute.
Germ

Post by Germ »

dark wrote:
Crash wrote:
Sol_HSA wrote:Let's say there's a quiver. Problems:
2. Switching between arrow types just got more complicated.
You're right. Any benefit I was thinking about is canceled by this fact.

Personally I don’t care for the different type of arrows in the game, what good are they once they are fired off and loose that charge. You’re left with a basic arrow. So this point is mute.
Your mage can enchant them with flame,poison or shock/ice depending on your skill.Once fired they lose charge but you can re-enchant them.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Germ wrote:quiver grab the next available arrow/missile item in the order they appear in your inventory.
Having the next arrow type in inventory automatically equip when the current ones were depleted would be effective at allowing a Rogue to keep fighting without interruption. I think that is what I would be looking for, and that implementation would make a quiver unnecessary. It would also be nice if the automatic pickup would work on the formerly enchanted arrows, even if they just went back into the pack, as I have seen discussed.
Last edited by Crash on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Durgha

Post by Durgha »

Loktofeit wrote:Why do you need a third character to collect your arrows?
Because the auto-collect mechanic doesn't work unless someone is holding that ammo type. The character firing enchanted arrows doesn't recognize the standard leftover arrows as his type of ammo (since technically it's a different item), so someone has to hold onto that single non-enchanted arrow.
Loktofeit

Post by Loktofeit »

Durgha wrote:
Loktofeit wrote:Why do you need a third character to collect your arrows?
Because the auto-collect mechanic doesn't work unless someone is holding that ammo type. The character firing enchanted arrows doesn't recognize the standard leftover arrows as his type of ammo (since technically it's a different item), so someone has to hold onto that single non-enchanted arrow.
My archer holds on to them. Tell yours to stop slacking and do his job.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

dark wrote:
Loktofeit wrote:It's a convenient way to make the bow a two-handed weapon while making use of the second slot as a useful arrow meter. From a functionality standpoint, adding a separate quiver would mean just another slot to manage.

*cue the SCA guy that brings up archers with bucklers and other unrelated realism factors*

Yea, ok we can call that symmetric if you want to break it down. But in reality. Have any of you actually used a bow? I have, and let me tell you there is no one that can hold 8 arrows in their off hand and fire a bow accurately.

Yes, this may all seem cosmetic, but the fact is there should be a quiver. You don’t need a counter to tell you that you’re out of arrows when you try and fire the bow and it comes up empty.
Yes, but you have to use your off hand. Lets think of it like this, from a design standpoint, would you make the bow the only usable weapon in your hand or just add something in the opposite hand to get it to work? Well one would take several work arounds and tests, while the other is a almost automatic fix. Quiver seems neat but all it would be would be a glorified arrow holder, if anything, that you would hold in your hand.
Loktofeit

Post by Loktofeit »

Pajamas wrote:
dark wrote:
Loktofeit wrote:It's a convenient way to make the bow a two-handed weapon while making use of the second slot as a useful arrow meter. From a functionality standpoint, adding a separate quiver would mean just another slot to manage.

*cue the SCA guy that brings up archers with bucklers and other unrelated realism factors*

Yea, ok we can call that symmetric if you want to break it down. But in reality. Have any of you actually used a bow? I have, and let me tell you there is no one that can hold 8 arrows in their off hand and fire a bow accurately.

Yes, this may all seem cosmetic, but the fact is there should be a quiver. You don’t need a counter to tell you that you’re out of arrows when you try and fire the bow and it comes up empty.
Yes, but you have to use your off hand. Lets think of it like this, from a design standpoint, would you make the bow the only usable weapon in your hand or just add something in the opposite hand to get it to work? Well one would take several work arounds and tests, while the other is a almost automatic fix. Quiver seems neat but all it would be would be a glorified arrow holder, if anything, that you would hold in your hand.
Agreed. Creating a separate container to accomplish the same task doesn't seem either efficient or additive to gameplay in any way.