Why is there No Quiver?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
dbgager

Re: Why is there No Quiver?

Post by dbgager »

Drax wrote:
dbgager wrote:Because the game is about your reflexes, and abilities. Not making things easier for you.
I'm confused how dragging arrows from your inventory to your hand is considered "reflexes" or an "ability".
Does not a person with better reflexes complete the task faster. Or a person with better eye hand coordination enable them to move around and avoid attacks from enemies, while completing tasks in inventory management, and spell loading. What is confusing you about that.
Drax

Post by Drax »

If you're playing ranged, you're already going to have them in your hand and then you auto-collect at the end.

Dragging from bag to hand is mildly irritating but I wouldn't say it requires "reflexes". You know which hand they're going in. Casting spells requires more effort, but most people don't seem to struggle with it (despite maybe not liking it).
Germ

Post by Germ »

I'd actually like to see a quiver type thing but not just for arrows.It'd be great to have a quiver that you open same as the other crates/bags etc with slots to drop items into such as rocks,shuriken,arrows,throwing knives.
The order you stack them is the order you use them,so I'd have arrows ,shuriken,throwing knives and rocks so once you run out of the first stack you move onto using the next etc.
Melvoid

Post by Melvoid »

I cant remember the name of the game off hand, was probly an old school one but i seem to remember a game where if you equipped a bow your offhand became a quiver with a number counter on it so you knew how many arrows you had etc.
Would obviously have killed this thread before it even started but maybe something for the future if possible to mod it in or for the devs to put on their long term things to do list.

Long story short it would make it obvious that you cant use offhand for anything else.
Crash

Post by Crash »

dbgager wrote:Because the game is about your reflexes, and abilities. Not making things easier for you.
Actually, the game was specifically designed to overcome some of the annoyances of older games, such as automatically picking up thrown and missile weapons, item stacking, and adding an automap. Rearranging note pages in inventory does not have anything to do with reflexes or abilities, and many games employ the use of a journal and spellbook to allow such things to be referred to without taking up inventory space. Also, I'm glad to face difficulty in a game that has tough adversaries or puzzles, but less pleased with playing inventory tetris.

Back to the point, in my opinion, the reflexes should be with regard to moving and firing the arrows, not shuffling them around inventory; hence the support for a quiver.
stage

Post by stage »

t0tem

Post by t0tem »

First time that I know automaping was implemented in games like this was in Black Crypt, and if I recall it was a spell called wizards eye (or something like that) that mapped for you while it was active. When the spell duration ran out, automaping stopped and you had to cast the spell again. It was a cool gimmick.
Crash

Post by Crash »

If only Dungeon Master picked up the arrows automatically, and provided more effective arrows later in the game. As I recall, using bow/crossbow beyond the first few levels was not effective, and this is another thing that was specifically addressed in LoG during development.
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

stage wrote:Image
:D

That image is no hardcore at all.
Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

Crash wrote:
Actually, the game was specifically designed to overcome some of the annoyances of older games, such as automatically picking up thrown and missile weapons, item stacking, and adding an automap. Rearranging note pages in inventory does not have anything to do with reflexes or abilities, and many games employ the use of a journal and spellbook to allow such things to be referred to without taking up inventory space. Also, I'm glad to face difficulty in a game that has tough adversaries or puzzles, but less pleased with playing inventory tetris.

Back to the point, in my opinion, the reflexes should be with regard to moving and firing the arrows, not shuffling them around inventory; hence the support for a quiver.
Amen. That´s the point.