Did you miss a good item? (REFERENCE)

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
NathanC

Re: Did you miss a good item? (REFERENCE)

Post by NathanC »

Hey guys, this is my second play-through (had to rebuild my party to better spend points so i didn't keep getting clobbered in level 7). I can't seem to find the ring Gauntlets this time around. I must have I missed them somewhere along the way, I've back tracked
SpoilerShow
level 4
about 4 times and I still can't find them, then I compared maps to my other party and the maps look the same. what am I missing.

I just need to know the trial area, I'll gladly search the area again.

thx
Drax

Post by Drax »

NathanC wrote:Hey guys, this is my second play-through (had to rebuild my party to better spend points so i didn't keep getting clobbered in level 7). I can't seem to find the ring Gauntlets this time around. I must have I missed them somewhere along the way, I've back tracked
SpoilerShow
level 4
about 4 times and I still can't find them, then I compared maps to my other party and the maps look the same. what am I missing.

I just need to know the trial area, I'll gladly search the area again.

thx
Hint:
SpoilerShow
Beast Gardens & Menagerie has them hidden somewhere
Bigger spoiler:
SpoilerShow
Check the south-east cage
NathanC

Post by NathanC »

I'm a moron, opened the door before re-exploring it completely, thanks.
HateSolstice

Post by HateSolstice »

I completely forgot about checking the cages in the Beast Gardens. Oy.

Oh well, just a few more hours and I'll be home, kiss the wife on the cheak, then will be starting anew.
Loraen

Post by Loraen »

I'm replaying the game now, with Toorum and I hit an interesting snag while secret-hunting. Level 6 is probably where I missed a secret, and it's nice to see regular progress doesn't require you to enter the Halls of Fire .. because Toorum isn't good enough with throwing items to hit the demon face with a firebomb and I don't have enough fire magic to cast a fireball yet..

I'll have to grind the supermarket snails and next-door skellies for levels to make myself a bit stronger for the coming floors, and to get that fireball spell.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Loraen wrote:I'm replaying the game now, with Toorum and I hit an interesting snag while secret-hunting. Level 6 is probably where I missed a secret, and it's nice to see regular progress doesn't require you to enter the Halls of Fire .. because Toorum isn't good enough with throwing items to hit the demon face with a firebomb and I don't have enough fire magic to cast a fireball yet..

I'll have to grind the supermarket snails and next-door skellies for levels to make myself a bit stronger for the coming floors, and to get that fireball spell.
SpoilerShow
Use the Fire sword?
Loraen

Post by Loraen »

Drax wrote:
Loraen wrote:I'm replaying the game now, with Toorum and I hit an interesting snag while secret-hunting. Level 6 is probably where I missed a secret, and it's nice to see regular progress doesn't require you to enter the Halls of Fire .. because Toorum isn't good enough with throwing items to hit the demon face with a firebomb and I don't have enough fire magic to cast a fireball yet..

SpoilerShow
Use the Fire sword?
I completely forgot it, I thought it was in one of the secret in the Halls. Still, went and cleared the 7th floor, got enough fire magic and now I have 52/71 secrets.. I'm missing the 13th secret on the 6th floor. I also picked up (or at least saw) all the items listed in the OP, so the secret doesn't contain anything new?

Would like a tip as to which part of the map it's on, here's my breakdown of found so far:
SpoilerShow
Halls of Fire: 5
Haunted Halls: 2
Maze of Madness
Iron door
Walkabout
Vault of the Orb (2)
edit: Ok. Now I am weirded out. I've marked 12 secrets on floor 6 as found, and 9 on floor 7 as found.. but I have 53 total which would imply either 13 on floor 6 or 10 on floor 7..
What's really annoying is the two treasures accessible from floor 6.. they both make a "secret found" sound but don't count as one. In fact I don't think ANY of the treasures count as secrets although most of them require pressing a hidden switch and all that..
bossonova

Post by bossonova »

missing plate cuirass. can anyone figure that one out exactly where on the map it is located??
Drax

Post by Drax »

bossonova wrote:missing plate cuirass. can anyone figure that one out exactly where on the map it is located??
SpoilerShow
Level 5 (only via a secret staircase on level 6)
or
SpoilerShow
Level 13, with a golden key
HateSolstice

Post by HateSolstice »

Ok, dumb question about counting the number secrets found.

I started a new game just to count secrets as I went along. I followed both this thread and another thread I found here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=919
(Unfortunately, it does not seem this one has been updated as much)

- On floor 1, I had a total of 3 secrets found
- On floor 2, I had a total of 9 secrets found(6 for that floor)
- On floor 3, I have a total of 18 secrets, this including the secret inside the Slime Dungeon on floor 4 but only accessible via this floor.

My question is, according to the secrets count up to this point, would the one in the Slime Dungeon count for floor 3? Or would it actually count for floor 4? I realize the game itself makes no such categorizations, this is just for ease of clarity and my own sanity.