Eye of the Beholder

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
kajmik

Eye of the Beholder

Post by kajmik »

I think that perfect for a remake is the great game Eye of the Beholder (EOB). :)
Reasons:
-whole game is set in an underground complex
-Grimrock game contains almost all the elements needed for EOB (levers, buttons, trap doors, teleports...)

http://stanislavs.tripod.com/games/eob1.htm
http://outspaced.fightingfantasy.org/PDFs/EOB_Maps.pdf
http://www.mobygames.com/game/eye-of-th ... creenshots
Saice

Re: Eye of the Beholder

Post by Saice »

There is a thread about EoB II already.

But yes you could get close. The big issue would be classes and some of the puzzle elements are not possible with the Grimrock engine at this time.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
xdeath

Post by xdeath »

Saice wrote:There is a thread about EoB II already.

But yes you could get close. The big issue would be classes and some of the puzzle elements are not possible with the Grimrock engine at this time.
There is a difference between the engine and game. Half-Life 2 and Portal run on the same engine(source), but a portal gun is certainly not possible in Half Life 2 without rewriting a lot of the games code.

Though you may be right about not being able to alter classes and races, it all depends on what we have access to when the editor is released.
Saice

Post by Saice »

xdeath wrote:
Saice wrote:There is a thread about EoB II already.

There is a difference between the engine and game. Half-Life 2 and Portal run on the same engine(source), but a portal gun is certainly not possible in Half Life 2 without rewriting a lot of the games code.

Though you may be right about not being able to alter classes and races, it all depends on what we have access to when the editor is released.
Correct there is a difference between Engine and Game I was referring to the engine they used for Grimrock since I do not know if it has it own name I use called it the Grimrock engine.

I fully think classes will be modifiable as there is a 5th one in the game already. But unless they add new skills and spells some classes will be imposable to recreated within the engine.
xdeath

Post by xdeath »

Saice wrote: Correct there is a difference between Engine and Game I was referring to the engine they used for Grimrock since I do not know if it has it own name I use called it the Grimrock engine.

I fully think classes will be modifiable as there is a 5th one in the game already. But unless they add new skills and spells some classes will be imposable to recreated within the engine.
There are more than 3? :o

Here us a quote from the blog, "Anyways the current plan is to release the editor in stages: initially the editor will be rather simple but more advanced features and scripting capabilities will be added in incrementally in later releases."

So while features such as adding classes and skills *may* not be possible early on. Later releases should have those features.
Which if course gives 3D artists more time to make models and tilesets.
Saice

Post by Saice »

[quote="xdeath"There are more than 3? :o[/quote]

Yes... I misspoke there are 4 classes one is only playable in a special mode.
SpoilerShow
If you rez Toorum from his remains you can start a game with just him. Hes a Ranger
AmiDARK

Post by AmiDARK »

Hello.

1. Concerning EOB, it's a great idea ... I also think to "black crypt" on Amiga ... great game too that can maybe be remade with GrimRock engine ...

2. I have finished the game, found the Toorum Remain and resurrected him (I presume as I did something with it's remain that makes something particular)...
But I can't choose him as a 4th class ... only the 3 remain available.

Kindest Regards,
AmiDARK
takis76

Post by takis76 »

Eye of the Beholder don't have only 4 classes!!!

Fighter
Mege
Cleric
Thief
Rogue
Paladin
Ranger
Wizzard
Necromancer
Archer
Barbarian
Warrior

Thief and Rogue are different
Ranger and Archer are different
Fighter , Warrior and Paladin are different
Cleric and Paladin are different

Thief: Disarm traps , unlock doors , unblock chests
Rogue: Made backstub , silent move , hide in shadows

Fighter: Wears light armour and heavy armour keep sword , and axe and spear and mace
Paladin: Wears light armour . keep spear , make few cleric spells (Lay of hands or few heal)
Warrior: Wears light armour and heavy armour , keep axe , sword , not spear and make and charge (Critical Hit)
Barbarian: Wears only heavy armour , keep only axe , make charge (Critical hit)
Mage: Learn spells during the adventure , don't have spells after creation , keeps mace , mage need spell book to cast
Wizzard , Born as spell caster and cast spells , have spells after creation , keeps stuff , wizzard don't need spell book to cast
Cleric: Make heal spells , and counter spells , keeps mace and stuff , makes potions. Need holy cross to make spells
Archer: wears light armour , or leather only , keep bow and can keep and short weapons , not spears and long sword.
Ranger: wears light armour , or plate male or leather. Keep bow and can transform to some animal , like bear or wolf , can comunicate with animals.
Necromancer: Wears light armour , makes only undead spells , can make summon spells , keeps spellbook , keeps stuff , can make teleportation , can control an undead creature and can make and raise dead spells.(Like Cleric)
Also there is and the Warrior Priest , is similar to paladin , keeps only stuff and lond sword , wears plate male and chain male and light armour.

AD&D Second edition rules. This is a nice information of classes about Dungeons And Dragons or Generic RPG.
:)
Last edited by takis76 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saice

Post by Saice »

takis76 wrote:Eye of the Beholder don't have only 4 classes!!!
The 4 class comment is about the classes currently in Grimrock and was a replay to weather or not other classes then the default 3 were possable within the engine as it stands. Not a comment that EoB only had that many classes.
Rob

Post by Rob »

takis76 wrote:Eye of the Beholder don't have only 4 classes!!!

Fighter
Mege
Cleric
Thief
Rogue
Paladin
Ranger
Wizzard
Necromancer
Archer
Barbarian
Warrior

Thief and Rogue are different
Ranger and Archer are different
Fighter , Warrior and Paladin are different
Cleric and Paladin are different

Thief: Disarm traps , unlock doors , unblock chests
Rogue: Made backstub , silent move , hide in shadows

Fighter: Wears light armour and heavy armour keep sword , and axe and spear and mace
Paladin: Wears light armour . keep spear , make few cleric spells (Lay of hands or few heal)
Warrior: Wears light armour and heavy armour , keep axe , sword , not spear and make and charge (Critical Hit)
Barbarian: Wears only heavy armour , keep only axe , make charge (Critical hit)
Mage: Learn spells during the adventure , don't have spells after creation , keeps mace , mage need spell book to cast
Wizzard , Born as spell caster and cast spells , have spells after creation , keeps stuff , wizzard don't need spell book to cast
Cleric: Make heal spells , and counter spells , keeps mace and stuff , makes potions. Need holy cross to make spells
Archer: wears light armour , or leather only , keep bow and can keep and short weapons , not spears and long sword.
Ranger: wears light armour , or plate male or leather. Keep bow and can transform to some animal , like bear or wolf , can comunicate with animals.
Necromancer: Wears light armour , makes only undead spells , can make summon spells , keeps spellbook , keeps stuff , can make teleportation , can control an undead creature and can make and raise dead spells.(Like Cleric)
Also there is and the Warrior Priest , is similar to paladin , keeps only stuff and lond sword , wears plate male and chain male and light armour.

AD&D Second edition rules. This is a nice information of classes about Dungeons And Dragons or Generic RPG.

Most of those things did not make it into Eye of the Beholder though (Even if it is based on Second edition D&D).

Eye of the Beholder only featured the following:
= Fighter
= Ranger
= Paladin
= Mage
= Cleric
= Thief

It also featured many mulitclass options for nonhuman races however.