Broken compass, seems fine to me?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Spathi

Re: Broken compass, seems fine to me?

Post by Spathi »

Well I would join the ranks of people who equipped it for 2secs and said "bugger that". I used a compass in cubs, scouts, school, university and in the army.
When using a compass you align the compass to north so the compass does move. Without NSWE it is just a pain to use.

LoG is showing you the needle, which is counter productive, as that is not what you look at in real life, it is just what you align.
What the old games are showing you is the bottom of the compass so they are correct as well, and more sensible.
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

jfunk wrote:The compass in Grimrock doesn't have N,S,E,W on it does it? It doesn't even have more than a single double ended pointer on it does it? How exactly would it be mistaken for a marine compass?
^ This
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

Yeah I know it is a "Man vs Wild" compass. I think people have the right to say they don't like it.

I was just explaining that the way other games do it is not wrong, as the some of the remarks in these threads claim.
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

Spathi wrote:Yeah I know it is a "Man vs Wild" compass. I think people have the right to say they don't like it.
I don't think anyone is arguing whether or not it's okay to "not like it"... The fact that a non-zero number of people (and a number larger than I'm comfortable with) have suggested the compass is "broken" is a bit ridiculous. You seem to have at least grasped that the compass was indeed functional (if less than ideal, but then again, we're in a dungeon in a fantasy setting: Beggars can't be choosers) whereas other users have apparently been dumbfounded by the concept.

Whether anyone likes it or not, the compass indicates a single double-sided pointer with a single red arrow. Pretending that we expect this to behave like a marine compass, or "point in the direction we're facing" is an asinine statement to make.
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

Spathi wrote:Yeah I know it is a "Man vs Wild" compass. I think people have the right to say they don't like it.

I was just explaining that the way other games do it is not wrong, as the some of the remarks in these threads claim.
Nope. Still not a compass. Of any kind.

What they OP thinks is a "compass" is an "arrow" on a static map, pointing in the direction (relative to said map) he is currently facing. The fact that he thinks this visual aid in some games is an actual compass is mildly amusing.

I don't mean to pick on the OP specifically here. This is apparently a common mistake. That fact has tragic implications for mankind. I'm not implying that thinking "hey, give me a second here to figure out which way I'm facing" makes one stupid. However, actually taking the time to study the device carefully, followed by getting a second opinion, and then collectively coming to the conclusion that it is broken clearly indicates that the OP and his wife (and many other gamers apparently) don't actually know what a compass is.
King Semos

Post by King Semos »

jfunk wrote: The compass in Grimrock doesn't have N,S,E,W on it does it? It doesn't even have more than a single double ended pointer on it does it? How exactly would it be mistaken for a marine compass?

I'd actually love to hear the description of this thought process.
A card compass doesn't need N,S,E,W in this case.

Consider the red arrow on the compass to be the direction of which you're facing (aka the fixed needle on a card compass). Now consider the compass itself to be a compass rose, aka picture of the cardinal directions.

When it's pointing up its north, when its pointing right its east, down is south, left is west.

This is how one assumes it to be a Card Compass. There really is no reason to get heated over this. People aren't stupid, its a legitimate mistake, this shouldn't upset you. Assuming people are stupid should not indirectly compliment yourself, especially when it isn't true.
affa

Post by affa »

jfunk wrote:
Spathi wrote:That fact has tragic implications for mankind.
So does your constant rudeness and inability to understand (or at least be forgiving) that some people are used to a different style of directional alignment in games.
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

Unless I've had far more too drink tonight than I think I have (possible), the concept of a card compass doesn't make any more sense than anything else suggested... If the red arrow is to be facing the direction you are facing, the rest of the compass must have some sort of marking on it or it is an absolutely useless device. Given that the in-game compass (last I checked) has no markings save the red arrow itself (and it's opposing side), I'm not sure how you would arrive at the conclusion that it is a card compass or any other sort of thing. Am I missing something?
osashta

Post by osashta »

I think what people are trying to say is...don't be a jackass about something as trivial as a compass. so they got it wrong, chill the funk out.
King Semos

Post by King Semos »

Kthanid wrote:Unless I've had far more too drink tonight than I think I have (possible), the concept of a card compass doesn't make any more sense than anything else suggested... If the red arrow is to be facing the direction you are facing, the rest of the compass must have some sort of marking on it or it is an absolutely useless device. Given that the in-game compass (last I checked) has no markings save the red arrow itself (and it's opposing side), I'm not sure how you would arrive at the conclusion that it is a card compass or any other sort of thing. Am I missing something?

Assume this, and you have N,S,E,W orientation. Given that it doesn't have N,S,E,W on the in game compass it can be easy to think example one is a given.

***edit

Using the same logic, tell me which way I'm facing without looking at your compass
SpoilerShow
WEST Correct!!!
Last edited by King Semos on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.