spider mod pls :)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
sprawler

Re: spider mod pls :)

Post by sprawler »

Lmaoboat wrote:
Arctor wrote:
mk.2 wrote:So, arachnophobia is becoming another Internet meme?
I've seen a lot of it on Reddit but have never thought it would spread this wide.
Too bad the arachnophobes haven't tried cognitive counseling first, before demanding changes to someone's incredibly hard work and great design. Makes me sad.
Yeah, who are they to demand AH to change their hard work just for them! They should at least asking for somebody to make a mod instead! Perhaps even post in some sort of modding section!
And who are you to demand your changes!?! many people here are asking about some new game + , random loots and other b*ll shit , wich i dont care about , i have the same rights to "nicley ask game designers for some changes as everbody else" , everbody here is asking for something,and if you dont like it then back off
Drax

Post by Drax »

sprawler wrote:
And who are you to demand your changes!?! many people here are asking about some new game + , random loots and other b*ll shit , wich i dont care about , i have the same rights to "nicley ask game designers for some changes as everbody else" , everbody here is asking for something,and if you dont like it then back off
Lmaoboat was being sarcastic. He forgot his [sarcasm] tags.
sprawler

Post by sprawler »

To be clear on this :) , i dont demand anything , i just nicley ask , and i ask everyone i can : modders and even game designers :) thats all
takis76

Post by takis76 »

How old are the people who afraid of digital spiders?
Digital Arachnophobia!!
ExecutiveMonstah

Post by ExecutiveMonstah »

I'm an arachnophobe and its a very real fear for me. When it comes to kicking the eight legged monsters out my house I often have to take a deep breath to calm myself before I can even get near the small ones. Even digital spiders make my skin crawl - mad I know, but most phobias are irrational by definition.
In my humble opinion the spiders in Grimrock aren't that bad. Don't get me wrong, the models look great and they're animated beautifully, but the ones in Skyrim freak me out much more for some reason. Although the worst I've ever come across were the spiders from System Shock 2. I have no idea why because the animations were atrocious. They literally hopped about the place :D

I wouldn't personally want to see them edited out, although I can definitely see why someone would.
Scary though they are, I see that as part of the challenge. It took me nearly half an hour before I plucked up the courage to raid one of the spider caves in Skyrim, but that made it all the more satisfying when I'd finished.
spoilspot

Post by spoilspot »

I have, I hope, made a no-spider modification script that
- extracts the level files
- removes spiders from them and replaces them by something else (green_slime[1] is the default, but that can be changed)
- makes the game use the extracted files instead of the ones in grimrock.dat

The script is a python script, so you'll need python installed and know how to use it - i.e., it's not just plug-n-play.

You can see it here: http://pastebin.com/XShJqbF0
I run it as:
python unspider.py <path to grimrock directory>
and it first copies grimrock.dat to grimrock.dat.orig (be sure to have an unmodified grimrock.dat to start with, and
if anything goes wrong, just copy grimrock.dat.org back over grimrock.dat).

The bad news is that the dungeon is created when the game is started, so your old save games still have spiders in them. You need to start a new game after running the script.

I make *no* guarantees that it won't crash your game. Or corrupt your files (you need backups, lots of backups!).
Or that I know what I'm doing. I'm not by any means a Python expert, or even semi-experienced user, so I'm sure someone else can make a much better and safer scripts.

Devs ... for your next/first patch, please consider adding a config option in grimrock.cfg that makes the game prefer extracted files over the archive files, so we don't have to patch the archive file hash values :)

Cheers
/L
[1] I picked green_slime since it gives almost the same XP as spiders (190 vs 175) so you won't get behind for later levels. It's probably also slightly harder, so it won't feel as a cheat :)
Bees

Post by Bees »

ExecutiveMonstah wrote:Although the worst I've ever come across were the spiders from System Shock 2. I have no idea why because the animations were atrocious. They literally hopped about the place :D
I think the severity of digital arachnophobia (e-rachnophobia? :P) is directly linked to how much of a pain they are, and SS2's spiders are right up there with Dark Messiah's in terms of how frustrating they are to kill.

The game engine also conspired to make them even more of a pain, what with the game's flaky hitbox detection and its tendency to clip your feet against the spider when clearly you should have been able to jump clean over it, and why the heck can't I move, oh it's because I'm still clipped against its legs, maybe if I jump a little moreOHMYGOD I'm poisoned and I only have 1 antivenom left but I can't use it until it's dead or I'll just get repoisoned then die, and now I'm down to 3 AP bullets in my inventory and how the heck do I keep missing its body!
ChrisColon

Post by ChrisColon »

spoilspot wrote:I have, I hope, made a no-spider modification script
[...]
It works! This is awesome. Thanks a lot for this :)
I had no problem creating a new party for this since I've played the first two levels countless times anyhow, waiting for a way to remove the spiders :)
Emualynk

Post by Emualynk »

mk.2 wrote:So, whenever I see people talk about their fear of spider, I usually assume that they don't actually mean it and it is just another meme like telling a woman to "get back to the kitchen" or "make me a sandwich " meme.
Well, please don't assume that it's exagerated 'cause it can be true more than often.
People don't realize what it does to you when you have a phobia, it's nothing like being scared, you feel really bad afterward.
sprawler

Post by sprawler »

im using python 2.7 i have error
http://imageshack.us/f/13/nowydz.jpg/