Any point in not taking swords?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Soulmancer

Any point in not taking swords?

Post by Soulmancer »

I chose axes with my fighter, starting to think that was a mistake. I'm on floor 8 and have picked up 3 amazing swords so far, but still can't find anything more than a basic battle axe.
Saice

Re: Any point in not taking swords?

Post by Saice »

there is an amazing axe and a hammer that is to die for.

But the sword is pretty nice. I went Hammer and Sword since I figured there would be only one apex weapon for each skill. And honestly I think Axes get the short end of the haft :lol: in this game.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
My end game stats LoG 1st play through
Baroque

Post by Baroque »

Saice wrote:there is an amazing axe and a hammer that is to die for.

But the sword is pretty nice. I went Hammer and Sword since I figured there would be only one apex weapon for each skill. And honestly I think Axes get the short end of the haft :lol: in this game.
As did maces, I feel. There is a great hammer I've read, but I completely missed it on my first playthrough. I made it to the end with a very basic hammer. Many of the other maces I found had penalties to accompany their damage so i didn't bother using them. But the swords had no penalties..
HeavyMetalMonk

Post by HeavyMetalMonk »

All of the weapon types have their good and bad bad points, so don't worry about that. I had both a sword and axe fighter, and I can't say I was disappoint in either of them. My axe fighte rwas a minotaur with very high strength and he hit pretty hard with the strongest axe in the game, factoring in the special attacks you get from the axes skill.

The sword fighter did more damage overall but it was due more to his speed and a certain skill sword fighters can get that hits multiple times with one attack.

There's nothing wrong with choosing axes, if you really don't like it you could always start over (or simply begi n putting points towards something else at level up) but you'll be fine throughout the game.
Saice

Post by Saice »

Baroque wrote:As did maces, I feel. There is a great hammer I've read, but I completely missed it on my first playthrough. I made it to the end with a very basic hammer. Many of the other maces I found had penalties to accompany their damage so i didn't bother using them. But the swords had no penalties..
The icefall hammer is just straight up epic. Aside from its damage it has a chance to freeze people comes in handy. To bad you find it fairly late in the game. (I believe it was the last of all the apex weapons)
Krotch ScroteGuzzle

Post by Krotch ScroteGuzzle »

Really? My party is now level 11 with a Sword Warrior and an Axe Warrior. Found a bunch of good axes so far, but no really good swords or daggers.
King Semos

Post by King Semos »

Sword users do have a great advantage in terms of abundance of good swords. But I personally think that the Maces and Axes skill sets have much better attributes for fighters.

As a personal preference of durable fighters, I think even the Unarmed skill set has some really tempting things.
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

While I've found a fairly nice sword or two, I've noticed my 2nd fighter who uses maces dishes out a ton of damage (even without a truly epic weapon). This is purely anecdotal and I haven't bothered recording any statistics or anything, but I'm very happy with both my sword fighter and my mace fighter (and I've passed up enough decent axes that I would have been happy with that route as well).
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

The only reason to not pick swords is if you have two fighters, in which case 2 swords would put one at a disadvantage.

Losing the accuracy with maces simply isn't worth it most of the time.
Saice

Post by Saice »

Patchumz wrote:The only reason to not pick swords is if you have two fighters, in which case 2 swords would put one at a disadvantage.

Losing the accuracy with maces simply isn't worth it most of the time.
Not a huge one. There are a lot of good swords. Nex and The dismantler would not be a bad combo for fighters.

But I highly recommend a mace fighter as the Icefall hammer is really my favorite weapon in game.
SpoilerShow
Also I did not realize until post end game why the Dismantler is called that. Not because it chops up foes like butter. But because it was made to dismantle cube guy who is weak vs lightning.