With regret

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
mike30542

With regret

Post by mike30542 »

It is with great regret that I may have to stop playing LoG.
I've been playing in normal mode & have managed to reach the end of level 3 by luring the mob/mobs to a door/gate I can close & going toe to toe until one is dead then close the door/heal up/open door - rinse & repeat. I know this is not the way it should be done but my reflexes are such that I just cannot get to grips with the "dance around mobs" combat style. I enjoyed solving the puzzles although the timed ones gave me real problems (manual dexterity) & I was only able to complete them by repeated tries (in itself not unexpected or unreasonable) & by following the advice from forums on exactly what was required for the moving teleporter one. I eventually gave up on the 2 trap puzzle even though I worked out what it was I needed to do. Every time I got to the second pit in time (I thought) to be able to push the button(and did so), the trap opened & it was time to reload.
And so I kill all the spiders (eventually) & reach the stairs to level 4. Save the game & descend. Take 2 paces forward (no other option available) & step on the plate. Door shuts behind me & 2 mushrooms appear one or both casts poison cloud . I cannot see where it's safe to step & almost immediately one or more of my party is dead. Load save game & try again repeatedly but same result. For me the game has come to dead stop.
I start a new game with a different party but I now know the answers to the puzzles so no great satisfaction in solving them again. Halfway through level 2 & I'm thinking if I persevere & kill all those spiders again I'll be stuck in exactly the same place. Will I then create another party & play levels 1-3 again? I suspect not.
OK I had fun playing up to now & with the cheap price AH charged I don't feel ripped off. In no way are AH at fault for the game not being suited to me (the game they released is after all the one they designed) but I am disappointed because I was so looking forward to playing it. If there were options other than being able to select combat to easy/normal/hard I might be able to adapt my inadequate combat skills but, unless there was a turn-based option, I suspect not.
Maybe the modders will create something which will let me proceed further. I can only hope.
The_ShadoW

Re: With regret

Post by The_ShadoW »

I can't imagine how a person can die to any mob prior to level 6 if they play on Easy.
Perhaps if you leave the game running and go for a walk for at least an hour...

...that's the only way I can think of.
petri

Post by petri »

Thats sad to hear.. Did you try Easy difficulty?
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

The_ShadoW wrote:I can't imagine how a person can die to any mob prior to level 6 if they play on Easy.
Perhaps if you leave the game running and go for a walk for at least an hour...

...that's the only way I can think of.
Two words: Poison clouds.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

Maybe just play on Easy?

And if you can't hack it past lvl 4 on easy, then you need to move on to turn-based strategy games because i don't think you possess the manual dexterity to play any other genre anyway. I'm not saying this to troll or exaggerating, I'm just stating my honest opinion.

I'm not hardcore AT ALL, and I've had only mild trouble on Normal, which is exactly the kind of trouble I expected when I bought this game - the kind of exciting trouble which challenges but does not frustrate. I'm having A LOT more trouble with puzzles than combat but you don't see me raging here that the puzzles are hell...
regomar

Post by regomar »

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game, it's really quite good. At least you're not one of those people on here blaming AH for not tailoring the game to your tastes. I'm glad you (unlink amny people on these forums) can admit that the difficulty is with you.

Fighting around the mobs takes a little practice, but it's ultimately not that hard, just practice it. You can;t win the game by standing tow to toe with things, you simply cannot advance that way.

You know, honestly, I too would have preferred a turn-based crawler, I'm more of a Wizardry fan than a Dungeon master fan, but this is the game the devs wanted to make.

I'd suggest you keep trying, but if you aren't enjoying yourself I don't suppose there's a reason to continue.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

@mike30542, I feel your pain. This sort of game can be quite hard if you're not familiar with the control method and gameplay design. I'm a veteran of these sorts of dungeon crawls, and I too have had problems in several areas. Try and stick with it, but don't overplay it in one session or you will annoy yourself and get frustrated. Have a break, come back the next day and just practice getting used to the controls and how to "dance" around monsters. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you will eventually get there. Don't give up, it's worth persevering, but if you're really not able to get further and aren't enjoying it, this may not be the game for you.

@The_shadoW: No-one's impressed by a show-off. Some people find this game hard, that's no reason to take the mickey out of them. Either offer some useful advice, or say nothing.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

I gave up when I got to level 3, it was very frustrating, I meant to un-install and move on.
A day or two later I started from scratch with a new group and set the game to easy. I am now on level 5. It's not as enjoyable as I expected, but it passes a hour or two.

Try the game again, but without the expectations that you had when you first started playing.
Dungeon Legend about the Master of Grimrock
The_ShadoW

Post by The_ShadoW »

Sol_HSA wrote:Two words: Poison clouds.
Standing patiently in the cloud still require (the complete lack of) player reaction. Like when you actually go away from your PC.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

What we need is a (old school, old gits mode). With a built in alarm to inform us that it's time for our nap every two hours. :D
Dungeon Legend about the Master of Grimrock