Reverse engineering (was:Temporary modding) thread

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
seebs

Re: Temporary modding thread

Post by seebs »

Okay, some updates. I can train skills so that you actually get the benefits from training them (there doesn't seem to be an undo for that, though), I can modify stats. The game's updates to willpower and vitality from things like training skills have retroactive effects on health/energy; I don't seem to get that from the stat modification I'm using, but I haven't spotted any easy way to do it.

Also added time settings, since it turns out to be stupidly easy.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

to dump the keytables just use var = io.open("filename", "w") and then var:write() and var:close. My lua is quite rusty could someone write a script which dumps all key tables recursively from _G?
seebs

Post by seebs »

Punchy wrote:to dump the keytables just use var = io.open("filename", "w") and then var:write() and var:close. My lua is quite rusty could someone write a script which dumps all key tables recursively from _G?
Well, no, because there are infinite loops there.

I am used to MMO lua environments, which are usually pretty locked down. Hadn't even occurred to me to try just writing to files. Heh.

I can add some dump functionality.
seebs

Post by seebs »

Added a dump (d.fulldump(_G) => g.txt) and it seems to work. About 8.5MB.
seebs

Post by seebs »

And one more useful bit:

d.list(archs, 'container')

=> a list of all items which have a member named container set. (Just the box and the sack.)

And no, you can't change their capacity. :P
antti

Post by antti »

I moved this topic to the new Mods subforum. We also wrote some rules about modding the game, please read them here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1560&p=14856#p14856

I hope the rules are reasonable for you.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
xdeath

Post by xdeath »

antti wrote:I moved this topic to the new Mods subforum. We also wrote some rules about modding the game, please read them here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1560&p=14856#p14856

I hope the rules are reasonable for you.
Good to see the modding forum up.

Your rules seem fairly standard. I know Bethesda(who's known to have the greatest modding community) has the same basic rules.

Hope to see a lot of interesting and fun mods/dungeons/etc. I know I will certainly try my hand at it when tools are released!
samaron12

Post by samaron12 »

i would love to see if they make a modding kit for the game. really fun and create new stories for campaign mode.
Honelith

Re: Reverse engineering (was:Temporary modding) thread

Post by Honelith »

Amazing, already trying to understand the innards of the game. I do love the modding community in everygame, I rarely play a game these days without some form of mod(s). :)

I got excited when I saw that you got the console enabled, but I cannot get it to work, using the steam version, so maybe that?

Can't wait to see future updates in this thread and forum section !
Jack Dandy

Re: Reverse engineering (was:Temporary modding) thread

Post by Jack Dandy »

This is pretty exciting. Seeing people take game apart at the seams with no modding tools available, speaking in strange computer runes I can't comprehend...
Imagine what they'll able to do with some dedicated modding tools!

Here's hoping we hear about them (or map editors) as soon as possible! :mrgreen: