Rename characters?

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Jimaroid

Rename characters?

Post by Jimaroid »

Searched but couldn't find any info on this one.

I've started a game but forgot to name two of my characters in the party creation. I don't want to have to restart, so is it possible to rename characters in a game in progress? It's a super tiny niggle but having "New Prisoner" as character names is a bit confusing to me.

Loving the game so far. Thanks very much for your creative endeavour. :D
mcaden

Re: Rename characters?

Post by mcaden »

Same here. All 4 characters and I'm way too far to start over.
nyarlanotep

Post by nyarlanotep »

I totally didn't notice this during creation too, I don't know why but even if it's only available for people who still have the New Prisoner name that would be nice. Though since it's single player I don't see why you couldn't change you names all the time if you wanted.
RMariano

Post by RMariano »

Simply being able to re-name the 4 characters would be nice. Please?
Regards,

RMariano
stefanosx

Post by stefanosx »

+1 vote to add a rename character option
Please make this happen, I got two new prisoners and I am dying to know their true names!
P.S. My money was well spend, this game it a fantastic piece of art
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

Instead of a rename character option, it'd be nice if the game would give you blank character names and not let you continue until you name them. That way this accident will stop happening all together.
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
stefanosx

Post by stefanosx »

Instead of a rename character option, it'd be nice if the game would give you blank character names and not let you continue until you name them. That way this accident will stop happening all together.
That is true, a necessary change, but a lot of us are too far below to start over.
Disasterrific

Post by Disasterrific »

There's a story there - maybe they forgot their names? The other guys keep calling each other "new prisoner." because they're hardened convicts with no use for names...
Dej

Post by Dej »

I created a python script to rename characters in an existing savefile. It is an adaptation of the one to put custom portraits in old (pre-patch) saved games.

The script renamecharacters.py is available here: http://pastebin.com/pQHt3Dhf

It goes like this: find the LoG savegame folder in your installation, and let's say you want to edit the names in save file savegame01.sav. Do:

Code: Select all

$ python renamecharacters.py savegame01.sav
Parsing savegame01.sav:
    Found character Fodok
    New name (press Enter to keep identical)?
    Found character Bardar
    New name (press Enter to keep identical)? Babar
    Found character Daedoc
    Found character Gamdalf
Here I renamed only one character, "Bardar" has become "Babar". An edited savegame is created in the same folder with the name savegame01.edited.sav.

Delete the savegame01.sav file from LoG save folder, and replace it by the new file savegame01.edited.sav, which you'll rename savegame01.sav.

Same as the other tool: this comes with *no* warranty whatsoever, *no* support, and you are advised to backup all your save files before you play with them! ;)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Nice work Dej. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...