I hope the fan base is still alive...

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Dephinroth

Re: I hope the fan base is still alive...

Post by Dephinroth »

LoG will always remain in my heart. And I will never give up hope that part 3 will appear one day :D
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Dephinroth wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:52 pm I will never give up hope that part 3 will appear one day :D
Heh. I, like you, wouldn't mind an LoG3 for sure. Especially the massive change between LoG1 and LoG2.

That was a massive leap.

I couldn't imagine what they could come up with LoG3.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

The problem (as I understand it, from 3rd hand information), is likely that LoG1 was massive, and seen as like lightning in a bottle; difficult to capture again in a different time. They tried with LoG2, and it was not as successful as the first game [AFAIK :shock: ], despite having noticeable improvements in every possible system. Scripting was more powerful, but at the same time not quite backwards compatible; throwing off many would be Dungeoneers, some of whom just gave it all up part-way through some of the forum answers to their 'simple' design questions.

A third game was (I believe) seen as —a LOT— of work for possibly less success than LoG2; if the pattern continued.... and how could it not be more of the same? (...which I would have been fine with. ;) )

*This all aside from their possible burnout, waning interest in the subject and genre —and frustration from things like asset theft.

Just my guess.

*At this point, I believe, it wouldn't do any harm for them to login and update us —or just comment the straight truth about it. You can't damage a forum group of die-hards. :mrgreen: I've been in an Skype chat for LoG dungeon design that's been running for eleven years... and the last three posts in it are mine; months apart.
andyroosta

Post by andyroosta »

Yeah, it's a shame that a LOG3 seems like it's never going to happen.

I'm just glad we got 2 games that stuck so closely to my favourite game, Dungeon Master.
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

petri gave sort of an answer back in 2018 - that they had wanted to do something besides LoG. Which, granted, they did with Druidstone - but I do not think Druidstone did as well as either LoG game possibly?

https://www.grimrock.net/forum/viewtopi ... 00#p116800
petri wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:53 pm It's always nice to hear that so many of you enjoyed Grimrock 1 & 2 so much that you keep wanting more. Indeed, such requests makes us feel that we did something right. Thank you for that! But suppose we made Grimrock 3 and it was a success. What then? Grimrock 4? The thing is, life's too short to keep making just one kind of game. I don't know if you have noticed but there's a new game in the works... Check it out: http://druidstone-game.com
I have a feeling it's going to be pretty good! Druidstone is a spiritual successor to Grimrock games but it's a different genre, turnbased tactical combat, top-down and all.

This does not mean that we have abandoned Grimrock. It's possible that we'll visit the old familiar corridors later down the road.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Komag

Post by Komag »

I haven't played in a while but I still lurk and care!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

Komag wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:53 pm I haven't played in a while but I still lurk and care!
Ditto. There was a fun survival game that popped up ("Sons of the Forest") which a co-worker and I got into.

That'd been fun because it was multiplayer, and had building aspects on top of just surviving, exploring, etc.

So I played quite a bit of that, but since then, said co-worker's personal life got super busy.

Most of my time, honestly, is either running or preparing D&D games I run. I think I am up to running 5 games as the DM, and in another 3 games as a player.