To AH G3

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Mysterious

To AH G3

Post by Mysterious »

Errrr......I was forced to do this but here goes.

I have like 2000 friends on facebook that have asked will there be a Grimrock 3? I'm like I don't know. These 2000 people all own G1 and G2 and just love the game. Ok its a small number of people but these people have friends and so it rolls goes on.

They and me included are waiting to see if G3 comes out, if not hand it over to someone else that's willing to continue the legacy on please.

A lot of people errrrr....... forced again..... think someone like Minmay, Skuggs and many others here could make the next G3 and make it have new features like: Shops, Dialog system, npc humans (for towns) town buildings, boats and many other things. I saw another website that had was called Darkdale which had the above but sadly has died.

Anyways I was forced to ask but to be honest I really love this game and want to see it rise again. Errrrr.......So do my other 2000 friends :)
Dr.Disaster

Re: To AH G3

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Mysterious wrote:A lot of people errrrr....... forced again..... think someone like Minmay, Skuggs and many others here could make the next G3 and make it have new features like: Shops, Dialog system, npc humans (for towns) town buildings, boats and many other things.
Well basically all these features were already developed by the LoG community and put to use in LoG2 mods like Eye of the Atlantis and others. Those huge mods are without a doubt very well done.

While i understand the urge to add more of the named features the less they make the game feel like LoG. It's the same reason why i played the original Dungeon Master many times over but Dungeon Master 2 only once. I feel no need to explore, ponder where to go or what to do when an NPC just tells me to do stuff. Why hunt for secrets and powerful items when most needs can be satisfied by collecting some currency for the next shopping spree? Many RPG's including Diablo and all it's clones developed and perfected this post-crawler kind of gameplay. There's no doubt it's entertaining but the original vibe that made DM and LoG so special is gone.
petri

Post by petri »

It's always nice to hear that so many of you enjoyed Grimrock 1 & 2 so much that you keep wanting more. Indeed, such requests makes us feel that we did something right. Thank you for that! But suppose we made Grimrock 3 and it was a success. What then? Grimrock 4? The thing is, life's too short to keep making just one kind of game. I don't know if you have noticed but there's a new game in the works... Check it out: http://druidstone-game.com
I have a feeling it's going to be pretty good! Druidstone is a spiritual successor to Grimrock games but it's a different genre, turnbased tactical combat, top-down and all.

This does not mean that we have abandoned Grimrock. It's possible that we'll visit the old familiar corridors later down the road.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I am looking forward to Druidstone; more so than BT4.
petri wrote:...
SSI doubtless got sick of making Gold Box games, and said goodbye to them with FRUA. ;)
*Which arguably both LoG1 & 2 do offer with their editors.

Perhaps after Druidstone AH/Ninja could contemplate an LoG1 and/or 2 construction set DLC that adds a few turn-key (built in support for) additional features that simplify a few of the more popular—but sometimes complex to script—requested options; (like shops, and NPC templates, starting equipment, random level layout generator, additional AI behaviors)... and possibly un-hardcoding a few things...

Perhaps even adding an isometric view to the editor. :twisted:
(For editing those 15 level floors, put on a single map.)
Mysterious

Post by Mysterious »

Ok.

AH: I don't think you get what imam saying here. You see Skyrim had many games before it eg: Dagger fall, Morrowind, Oblivion and as you can see it's like 3. What do you mean 3? Well sir 3 = Skyrim. That's how many times the game was formed before it became Skyrim and it will form again to next version.

See the devs of Skyrim have a formula and people still buy it.

Your going to abandoned a formula that's awesome and still works and can be refined for your new DruidStone game. That's your choice np. I guess you don't care about the money which is good.

At the end of the day people don't care about top down games. As I have sent the word out to my 2k facebook friends. 8k now and they all say the same. Its Diablo reinvented I guess and as all are guess.

You say LG 3 and then what next? Keep building it and make it better and better like how Skyrim became.

That's the recipe.

LOG: Die's here and now im sorry to say. 6.357K Votes
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

@Mysterious

Skyrim = 5, Arena came before Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.
__

I don't think that you've understood the core audience for these games; of which the devs themselves are a part.
I understood Petri's sentiment about re-hashing LoG, and I do look forward to Druidstone.

(...and I have a preference for top-down games over first person ;) )
minmay

Post by minmay »

Mysterious wrote:Ok.

AH: I don't think you get what imam saying here.
they get what you're saying, they just also realize that it's nonsense
Mysterious wrote:A lot of people errrrr....... forced again..... think someone like Minmay, Skuggs and many others here could make the next G3 and make it have new features like
i couldn't do that even if i wanted to, and also, i don't want to
Grimrock 1 dungeon
Grimrock 2 resources
I no longer answer scripting questions in private messages. Please ask in a forum topic or this Discord server.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I don't think any of us want to... that'd be making a full-fledged salable product—that we couldn't sell; and cost a sizable chunk of our time. Petri spent a year straight (possibly more) on LoG2 systems; and that's going in to it with prior commercial experience.
olavimuff.ee

Post by olavimuff.ee »

petri wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:53 pm It's always nice to hear that so many of you enjoyed Grimrock 1 & 2 so much that you keep wanting more. Indeed, such requests makes us feel that we did something right. Thank you for that! But suppose we made Grimrock 3 and it was a success. What then? Grimrock 4? The thing is, life's too short to keep making just one kind of game. I don't know if you have noticed but there's a new game in the works... Check it out: http://druidstone-game.com
I have a feeling it's going to be pretty good! Druidstone is a spiritual successor to Grimrock games but it's a different genre, turnbased tactical combat, top-down and all.

This does not mean that we have abandoned Grimrock. It's possible that we'll visit the old familiar corridors later down the road.
Why it have to always so that one game = one single story?

You have created very good game engine, even dungeon editor to create new stories and then you finished with one story only? Its like creating racing game with one single circle. For second circle it is needed to create new game. Is that so cost effective?

Recently I have played LOG2 mod "Castle of hardabar". There are many new items, ideas, story, monsters etc and it is very good to play it as new DLC of a game. Why not making new DLC for this game? Employ some new peoples with new fresh ideas and create something new which is based on existing engine. Lets take one sample from Super Mario. Be a hero to rescue robbed princess. :D

Castle of hardabar have very serius memory limit issues and in this case you can try to fix these if possible. No need to create completely new game.

PS! I know it is very easy to say, hard to do, but we want something new which is based on existing one. Like Tomb Raider series, but they spend too much money to create videos and new engine instead of creating very good engine and just update it time by time.

Sry for my bad english. I can speak in estonian also. :D