[MOD] The One Room Round Robin Part 3

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
AndakRainor

Re: [MOD] The One Room Round Robin Part 3

Post by AndakRainor »

Hi, another one back from the dead here :p
THOM wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:56 pm Venomous Rod (and the other rods)
The available ones are spread out over the whole game. Some are placed earlier (e.g. the venomeous one), others later. And they all are kept in secrets. I think, that's okay, even if the boost is better than expected...
I just wanted to say that they obviously come from the spell pack and work as inteded. People mostly use them early game for the "burst" spell casting, not the spell power boost. For some reason their spell power boost is largely ignored so I wouldn't say they are over powered, or people would just use them. Sure it can be good, and is intended to, but a little math and you'll realize it would require to attack with the rod 50 times in less than 30 seconds to reach 1000% spell power bonus. It would require to plan for it and first, find a way to reduce cooldowns enough (to about 0.5 second per attack!), second, pay the price in food per action and time lost stacking the boost, then what ? Cast a few big spells then let the boost go down ? I'm sure there are more efficients and simple ways to reach OPness in Grimrock 2, like drinking rage potions for example (not in my mods though, rage potions are "fixed" (=nerfed) in those!).
THOM wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:56 pm Demonic Pact + Regeneration
The scrolls of these spells are placed quite early in the game, so the player can use the weird effects you discribed quite early, too. But I think this is no bigger problem since both effects aren't that big problem.

Regarding your assumption that we changed the behavior of the Demonic Pact: We didn't change anything at the Spell Pack for version 1.1. Maybe you remember wrong or something interacts here in an unwanted way...
I can confirm those spells always worked like that and as intended. Not sure what is weird about it, I guess it's all about how they stack and they are shown in the UI ? Well for some of them I decided the duration left was the most important information, like for Demonic pact, because you loose the critical chance bonus when it expires which is "only" +50% if you're dead, and you would not want to kill yourself with too many stacks if you are not confident in taking no damage. Regeneration on one target and on the party are two separate effects and it should be shown as it is I believe. But only one icon per regeneration effect in the remaining duration GUI, because stacks are mostly irrelevant, you can follow the intensity of the effect just by looking at your health bars, less icons clutter.
THOM wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:56 pm Rage
I have noticed, too, lately, that the behaviour of that condition is really strange. In e.g. the time it lasts doesn't seem to be measured in seconds. If you add Rage to a champion for an amount of 10 it lasts over a minute - not 10 seconds as expected.
Weird, I though this was a well known fact about Grimrock 2, that rage potions stacking was the way to go to one shot any boss in the game. It gives strength, then this bonus is reduced by one every 8 seconds. Two rage potions won't be reduced by 2 strength every 8 seconds though, only 1, so yeah, it's a big broken item in Grimrock 2 and I could not let it be in my mods, 'cause they are very very focused on balance ;)

Also, if I may suggest don't only chase after OPness in games, that's far from the point in my opinion.

For example, I see you nerfed the air elemental grinding (that I personnaly didn't need at all to reach high enough levels with a fresh party), but then what about all other areas where grinding is possible ? Crabs in the Asylum, water slimes / snakes in my room, all ennemies respawning anywhere ? It was never said in the project that infinite exp was forbidden to modders, and many have put some respawn in their rooms. Also, the mod does not forbid party importing, and does not scale difficulty for imported parties. And keeps the vanilla soft cap on leveling with enormous amount of experience needed to gain levels past level 20.

Vanilla meteor storm chain cast can kill ogres too. Throwing barbarians with potions of rage can one shot them. Any ranged attack can kill a static vulnerable defenseless target. But what about the comments in the playthrough about how we trolled players by delivering a first map that nearly just consist of poison immune ennemies, with venomous rod, no early healing spell that would make an earth mage not useless, etc ? Is it really less intereting to try to give players a better experience, not just a harder one ? You know that most players do not in fact look after high difficulty content, and sure we all say we are not personnaly concerned because it is a taboo to say that we prefer to enjoy content and relax, not manly enough ;p
devnullicus

Post by devnullicus »

I don't know the area name, but it's a dungeon in the abandoned village area. Anyway, I give the "treasure" to the water-dudes who are imprisoned by the ratlings and they tell me to press the button N (actual number not posted to avoid spoiler) times. So I put something on the pedastal (the note telling me to do so, of course) and then press the button N times. Nothing happens. No secret area opens, nothing. Press once more and I get a message "...something's not working right". Basically, every N+1 times I click the button, I get that message. But no secret area opens for me. Am I running into a bug or am I just missing something?
THOM

Post by THOM »

Maybe you are missing something.
You have choosen the right pedestal to put something on?
THOM formaly known as tschrage

Post by devnullicus »

There's only one pedastal in the entire dungeon that I've found. And that's the one next to the button and that had the note next to it as well. If I take everything off that pedastal and click the button I get a fail message every time I click, so it's definitely RELATED.

EDIT: Never mind - I re-read the original note and figured it out.
THOM

Post by THOM »

devnullicus wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:22 pm EDIT: Never mind - I re-read the original note and figured it out.
That's good. :mrgreen:
ratman

Post by ratman »

Who should I credit if use the dungeon_pillar_fallen in my mod?
THOM

Post by THOM »

If you really want: Me.