[New Mod] Falagar - A Journey

Are you looking for fun Custom Dungeons that you could play or do you want to share your mod with others? Then this forum is for you!
naritete

Re: [New Mod] Falagar - A Journey

Post by naritete »

I'm looking forward to v136.
Good luck with that :lol:
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

Just started this MOD and it looks super interesting...
all the new items are very cool and so is the level design...

However as it has been said the light source thing with all the other inventory management and food management and trinket management is super cumbersome. I am someone who looks at every wall even under water for buttons. there really should be maybe a high level concentration always on light source. I expend most of my mana just dropping light balls to see walls because I ran out of torches inspecting walls.

Which brings me to my next thought... food. For some reason I am reading food is so abundant and so you cut the nutrition. Since not only can food poison and disease and maybe a bunch of other stuff and if your food hoarder huldra front line food is super scarce so far. I left the first dungeon starving and reloaded many battles with snails and turtles just to get their full loot for food.

The exploration this MOD asks and inventory management with all the new weapons and gears as well as the randomness of food eating has the food and light system working against the idea of exploration. I pretty much feel I am always in a rush to keep a torch lit or not run out of food and start starving again. Food nutrition is so low that it takes up so much time feeding people and I leave em starving a lot to keep my Huldra with evasion.

Since I am new to the game I will perhaps reach a point where it feels super abundant with food and no problem with light sources.
I am playing on hard so the battles can take quite some time strafing the grid while my food and light fade away...

I really like all the new battle mechanics and stuns and different hidden aspects I am uncovering. The food issue and very much so the light seems like way too much micro management. However it is likely you designed it with light like this so in this sense can you perhaps let me know if you have a lot of buttons underwater to find? I was dropping light sources every 3 squares or so above water to inspect the walls.

I have a question as well...
Do humans gain exp at 15% rate. My Mantis which says 10% faster is behind my Human by about 5% experience now.
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

Getting super confused....
Where there is 3 teleport lights and 3 levers nearby with a grate that shuts on you as you enter and then opens up again on a timer...
Is there a combo that opens the pit or the other grate nearby with the poison thrower?
Lorial

Post by Lorial »

Currently uploading version 1.36 to the available platforms.
Unfortunately I did not have the time to add stuff, so it is simply a hotfix of sorts, taking care of the aforementioned bugs.
sapientCrow wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:59 pm Just started this MOD and it looks super interesting...
all the new items are very cool and so is the level design...
I really like all the new battle mechanics and stuns and different hidden aspects I am uncovering. The food issue and very much so the light seems like way too much micro management. However it is likely you designed it with light like this so in this sense can you perhaps let me know if you have a lot of buttons underwater to find? I was dropping light sources every 3 squares or so above water to inspect the walls.
Thank you for the feedback, sapientCrow.
The aspects you are mentioning have indeed been brought up several times already, so I will keep a long story short.
You will come across numerous light sources in the game. Aside from your light spell there is also a potion and a summon spell (also a rod) which calls a friendly incorporeal wisp to your side, shooting light spheres around. The blue orb casting the regular light is also in the mod, but is uses charges (charging crystals and tomes are not too rare). Lastly, there is a Magical Lantern with infinite charges hidden and... a regular boss drop IIRC.

Food is rather plentiful indeed. In the last update I added a chance for branches and crates and other destructible objects to drop food in addition to what monsters leave behind. There is really no way to tell whether food is sufficient since everbody advances with a different pace in the game. Later you will stumble upon a mage's endless food simply (nothing OP, though) and large creatures will drop morsels with proper nutritional value, for instance in the Frozen Highlands.
Also, don't forget that the ponds' fish population is not finite either. ;)

There are hidden buttons under water, yes, but they are usually hinted at by some means (e.g. bubbles, light sources). When in doubt, you can always save scum, check all the walls and reload. ;)
sapientCrow wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:59 pm I have a question as well...
Do humans gain exp at 15% rate. My Mantis which says 10% faster is behind my Human by about 5% experience now.

Getting super confused....
Where there is 3 teleport lights and 3 levers nearby with a grate that shuts on you as you enter and then opens up again on a timer...
Is there a combo that opens the pit or the other grate nearby with the poison thrower?
Humans get a 10% exp bonus, but certain aspects such as traits can change the values. Also, don't forget there are powerful tomes in the game that alter the rate as well.
The pit is opened elsewhere, no combination will help, the grate cannot be opened from that side. A teleporter will give you access to the area, a hint is found further east near the Field of Stones.
Lorial

Post by Lorial »

Back in action, let me know if you have encountered any problems or need a helping hand.
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Lorial wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:50 am So if you are a seasoned player expecting a brutal challenge, look elsewhere. You might want to take care of your resistances, though. I would rate it "M" for medium difficulty.
I will pass it then. Bye.
Lorial

Post by Lorial »

Kirill wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:01 am I will pass it then. Bye.
Bye.
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Lorial wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:32 am
Kirill wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:01 am I will pass it then. Bye.
Bye.
I am sorry but good mods support challenging battles too. Not only puzzles or combat for casuals.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Kirill wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:22 am I am sorry but good mods support challenging battles too. Not only puzzles or combat for casuals.
This is a narrow view of a very wide subject. Some players ONLY care about the puzzles; some designers too. Some prefer exploring the environments. Some prefer encountering the monsters; others prefer eliminating them. Many prefer a mix of the three.

I am not sure what 'combat for casuals' actually means in this sense; does it mean 'not personally challenging'? Does that imply that a designer cannot make good mods if they are not equally capable as the player at winning combat encounters?

I like maps with well crafted combat encounters, but IMO a map design must stand on its own even without the monsters—which means no combat at all— until the environment is ready to have them; monsters (for the most part) standing in the way of player progress, as opposed to being the sole path towards it.

"Good" [mod] does not exclude puzzle only mods, or mods with light [easy?] combat. To me this qualifier is like stating that the only good beverages are sugary ones, or the only good films are in color; the only good pet is a dog... These are all subjective to the individual experiencing them.
Kirill

Post by Kirill »

Isaac wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:30 pm
Kirill wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:22 am I am sorry but good mods support challenging battles too. Not only puzzles or combat for casuals.
This is a narrow view of a very wide subject. Some players ONLY care about the puzzles; some designers too. Some prefer exploring the environments. Some prefer encountering the monsters; others prefer eliminating them. Many prefer a mix of the three.

I am not sure what 'combat for casuals' actually means in this sense; does it mean 'not personally challenging'? Does that imply that a designer cannot make good mods if they are not equally capable as the player at winning combat encounters?

I like maps with well crafted combat encounters, but IMO a map design must stand on its own even without the monsters—which means no combat at all— until the environment is ready to have them; monsters (for the most part) standing in the way of player progress, as opposed to being the sole path towards it.

"Good" [mod] does not exclude puzzle only mods, or mods with light [easy?] combat. To me this qualifier is like stating that the only good beverages are sugary ones, or the only good films are in color; the only good pet is a dog... These are all subjective to the individual experiencing them.
Good mods have challenging combat and simple puzzles. Also nice quality of places, rich in details.