[MOD] Eye of the Dragon

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Dr.Disaster

Re: [MOD] Eye of the Dragon

Post by Dr.Disaster »

I recall about the Astral Plane that you had to get past those bolders to reach a teleporter and get to the large structure. Wasn't that hard to get the pattern; it took more efford to clear all the monsters so they did not get in the way while evading boulders.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:50 pm I recall about the Astral Plane that you had to get past those bolders to reach a teleporter and get to the large structure. Wasn't that hard to get the pattern; it took more efford to clear all the monsters so they did not get in the way while evading boulders.
There is no teleporter. I am at a dead end. The monsters are all dead. All that's left is bolders and dead end. There is no place else to go.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Here's my Astral Plane map:

The bolder area is the lower area. Go to the far right to reach a portal towards the structure above.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:41 pm Here's my Astral Plane map:

The bolder area is the lower area. Go to the far right to reach a portal towards the structure above.
There is no portal there. I have gone as far right as I can go without falling down into a pit.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Well i can't recall if the portal is visible at all or just at times but i know it's there cuz that's how i got to the structure.
Twice.
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:30 pm Maybe one day you'll learn how to make a mod that is challenging without being just plain stupid.

And with that, I am done.
I haven't tried this mod yet, since I expected it would be a mod like you're describing it. But +90% of the mods out there are just garbage in general :) I don't understand most people at all that will just play stubbornly every single mod out there, garbage or not.
If it throws you in frustrating situations and "bad" or "boring" gameplay mechanics, just delete it.

But in the author's defense, he did make Eye of atlantis after this mod. Which was a very pleasant experience for a free mod.

I will give this a shot to play and try to enjoy it from a technical view and see how long I will last before I delete it from my hdd :)

Also, another thing I don't understand. The mod's description clearly tells you to play this game with a new party.
Why on earth would you play it with a lvl 50 party? I noticed this behaviour from many people.
Why do you all insist on importing overpowered parties into mods? It just makes 0 sense.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Pompidom wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:13 pm
wagtunes wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:30 pm Maybe one day you'll learn how to make a mod that is challenging without being just plain stupid.

And with that, I am done.
I haven't tried this mod yet, since I expected it would be a mod like you're describing it. But +90% of the mods out there are just garbage in general :) I don't understand most people at all that will just play stubbornly every single mod out there, garbage or not.
If it throws you in frustrating situations and "bad" or "boring" gameplay mechanics, just delete it.

But in the author's defense, he did make Eye of atlantis after this mod. Which was a very pleasant experience for a free mod.

I will give this a shot to play and try to enjoy it from a technical view and see how long I will last before I delete it from my hdd :)

Also, another thing I don't understand. The mod's description clearly tells you to play this game with a new party.
Why on earth would you play it with a lvl 50 party? I noticed this behaviour from many people.
Why do you all insist on importing overpowered parties into mods? It just makes 0 sense.
A new party wouldn't stand a snow ball's chance in hell of surviving this mod. But by all means, give it a shot. My money is on you deleting this LONG before I get as far as I got. If you even GET as far as I got.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Dr.Disaster wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:01 pm Well i can't recall if the portal is visible at all or just at times but i know it's there cuz that's how i got to the structure.
Twice.
It would be really nice if Draakan would drop into this thread and provide some answers. I went through all 50 something pages and not one person even asked about the Astral Plane.
Pompidom

Post by Pompidom »

I'm actually genuinely enjoying the mod so far, 3+ hours in on Normal with a new party.

Monsters die by simply looking at them and so far it's been a cakewalk. I'm sure it will get harder later on, but the first 3 hours have been a pleasant experience so far.

You mentioned that you didn't find the Light scroll. So that kinda makes it hard to take your criticism seriously if you skipped the mines right at the start of the game.

The only annoyance so far is the alcove/weight puzzle many people seemed to have troubles with.
It doesn't say it needs to be in kg and even then it refuses to open the door.
I bruteforced every single combination with rocks as they weigh exactly 1 kg each so I'm guessing you have to place 1 single item with either 1 - 2 or 3 kg to make the script open the door but I lack items that exactly weigh 2 kg
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Pompidom wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:56 pm I'm actually genuinely enjoying the mod so far, 3+ hours in on Normal with a new party.

Monsters die by simply looking at them and so far it's been a cakewalk. I'm sure it will get harder later on, but the first 3 hours have been a pleasant experience so far.

You mentioned that you didn't find the Light scroll. So that kinda makes it hard to take your criticism seriously if you skipped the mines right at the start of the game.

The only annoyance so far is the alcove/weight puzzle many people seemed to have troubles with.
It doesn't say it needs to be in kg and even then it refuses to open the door.
I bruteforced every single combination with rocks as they weigh exactly 1 kg each so I'm guessing you have to place 1 single item with either 1 - 2 or 3 kg to make the script open the door but I lack items that exactly weigh 2 kg
Actually, I figured that out. You don't need one item. You can use multiple items to solve that puzzle. But you can't take MY criticism seriously. That's rich. Anyway, I can't wait until you come back here telling us how you abandoned this dungeon because it's stupidly hard.

Anyway, there's no portal on the Astral Plane. I've gone to the very end and there's nothing there. Probably a bug or I have a different mod version. He is up to version 5 so who knows. Anyway, I'm done with this.