MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
HypnoToad

Re: MASTER QUEST HELP: puzzles, clues, SECRETS, WALKTHROUGH

Post by HypnoToad »

Just finished it, an epic game, the puzzles were fun but not outrageously hard if you read all the scrolls and notes. Killing the Cube took a few days, many many tries, but got there in the end. Jolly good show chaps!
Return of the Dark Lord - V3.5 Download:
https://www.nexusmods.com/grimrock/mods ... escription
Komag

Post by Komag »

Glad to hear it, well done :)
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Well, I've actually played through this several times but this time through I found an odd bug and have no idea what caused it.
SpoilerShow
The area with the trap door in front of you and the two poison producing demon heads on both sides after you step through the portal on level 9. When you get to the alcove with the key and step on the pressure plate and grab the key, the sides are supposed to open up. Well, this time they didn't and I found myself stuck and unable to go on. Even the open door script wouldn't work completely. Eventually I opened enough doors through the console elsewhere in the dungeon to get to where I needed to go in order to move on, but there is no question, what was supposed to get triggered didn't get triggered. I watched Guregon's video just to make sure I had the sequence of events right and I did. Just nothing happened.
maneus

Post by maneus »

You could download the source file at nexus and find out by yourself what the door is named or how you could solve your issue.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

wagtunes wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:02 pm Well, I've actually played through this several times but this time through I found an odd bug and have no idea what caused it.
SpoilerShow
The area with the trap door in front of you and the two poison producing demon heads on both sides after you step through the portal on level 9. When you get to the alcove with the key and step on the pressure plate and grab the key, the sides are supposed to open up. Well, this time they didn't and I found myself stuck and unable to go on. Even the open door script wouldn't work completely. Eventually I opened enough doors through the console elsewhere in the dungeon to get to where I needed to go in order to move on, but there is no question, what was supposed to get triggered didn't get triggered. I watched Guregon's video just to make sure I had the sequence of events right and I did. Just nothing happened.
I do recall this bug from MQ beta. Back then it was caused by random quakes. Are you sure you got the current version of the mod?
Komag

Post by Komag »

IIRC, those walls only open up if you've also been to the other sides and stepped on the other plates as well, so that all three have been stepped on. It was a similar thing in the original game, but there the plates were invisible, so it was less obvious what players had missed.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Komag wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:51 am IIRC, those walls only open up if you've also been to the other sides and stepped on the other plates as well, so that all three have been stepped on. It was a similar thing in the original game, but there the plates were invisible, so it was less obvious what players had missed.
Okay, when you say "other sides and stepped on the other plates as well" do you mean the other sides of that enclosed area? If so, there is no way to even get that door open without stepping on the other plates. The one plate you step on as you enter through the portal. That's automatic. Then, the other plate you have to step on, or actually place something on, in order to get the right gate to open in order to press the button to lock the trap door into place in order to walk to the other side (which doesn't have a plate) to pull the lever in order to open the door where the key is sitting in the alcove. Upon walking up to that alcove, you then step on the 3rd plate. There is no way to actually not step on all 3.

Now, if you're referring to the other side of that room altogether, which is where it leads to, I don't recall seeing any plates there but I'll take another look.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Okay, I went through the source file and found the code that controls the centralscript that opens all 8 doors. It's called centralcounter, which starts at value 3.

What if, somehow, there is a way to get that counter below 3 before stepping on the final plate in the alcove with the key? If that were to happen (and I've done it with my own code) then stepping on that final plate would not activate the centralscript because centralcounter at that point would be negative.

It is the only thing I can think of because I have definitely stepped on all 3 plates and nothing happens.

I suspect a negative counter.
Komag

Post by Komag »

Hmm, maybe I'm remembering wrong then, it's been a long time! Anyway, I'm glad you were able to get around the issue, and if I ever do a late update, that will be one of the issues I look further into and try to make it more fool-proof.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

I watched this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY3hSXANNII&t=19s

I did everything he did, without all the stumbling around. The walls don't come up. I have no idea why. It makes no sense. Something must be broken somewhere.