Shadowgate 2014 "Inspired" (Resource Pack)

Ask for help about creating mods and scripts for Grimrock 2 or share your tips, scripts, tools and assets with other modders here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
vanblam

Re: Shadowgate 2014 "Inspired" (Resource Pack)

Post by vanblam »

ROFL kelly.. Soon enough my friend :P
vanblam

Post by vanblam »

I decided to create an entire room dedicated to the lava concept. This room is quite large and has 2 places where lava flows in to provide a dangerous feel, there is one entrance and a 2x3 area to place and or walk. I spent a while creating this room so I hope its atmosphere is satisfying. I might add a little more to the room but I ran out of ideas LOL. Any hoot here are some screenshots and a video at the bottom. Thanks guys for your input on my lava, I'm happy with the way it looks :D

Video Here!
maneus

Post by maneus »

Not bad, but I think the cave is a bit too bright. Would be more athmospheric if the cave would be darker and get the lights only from the lava and the red crystals. Like this for example:

billb52

Post by billb52 »

WOW Vanblam this is absolutely AWSOME! can't wait for your resource pack.....great work!!!
vanblam

Post by vanblam »

maneus wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:59 pm Not bad, but I think the cave is a bit too bright. Would be more athmospheric if the cave would be darker and get the lights only from the lava and the red crystals. Like this for example:

I was thinking along those lines that it was a little too much light. I think Ill work on that part because I want more contrast in the room. Thanks for the tip :)

@billb52 - Thanks man :D I can't wait to release this :)
vanblam

Post by vanblam »

I tweaked around with the lighting a bit to adjust the contrast of the room. Came out a lot spookier.

maneus

Post by maneus »

Now it looks better I think. Well done.
vanblam

Post by vanblam »

I did another video to show the adjusted lighting levels. I am now very happy with it :D

Video Here!
akroma222

Post by akroma222 »

vanblam wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:34 pm Thanks akroma, there is a cave area in Shadowgate that really sets a eerie mood and easy to get lost in, but the randomness on how the pillars were laid out and red crystals looked interesting to me, so I based it off of that. Ill show ya a screenshot.
But the structural parts in my version I conjured up, I think it gives it more character then just caves with doorways :P Plus you can have an outside area :D Right now I'm working on animated lava for the last part of Red Cave. Thinking about using the bit to binary for a crust that will be around all the edges.
Ahh I see! That lava + steam + sound fx are very convincing indeed.
And the behavior of the lava in the (lavafall?) object and the inaccessable sloping tunnel ... :shock: 8-) ...brilliant!!
*checks to see if I remembered to pack my dragon skin boots* ;-)

My only & humble suggestion...
SpoilerShow
Not sure if this was your intention - but even in the latest video w adjusted lightning - I cant get away from how
the red crystals seem to stick out - they are quite jarring. The light adjusted pic maneus posted makes the red crystal formations more believable - is that a light component added to the red crystal object (not sure?). I reckon the added red light around the crystal would help ... Or ....perhaps adding smaller shards of red crystal to the areas surround the big crystals, similar to how the vanilla mine set does it w blue crystals(imvho)
Cant wait to check out your next release
(take your time ;) )
vanblam

Post by vanblam »

akroma222 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:41 pm
vanblam wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:34 pm Thanks akroma, there is a cave area in Shadowgate that really sets a eerie mood and easy to get lost in, but the randomness on how the pillars were laid out and red crystals looked interesting to me, so I based it off of that. Ill show ya a screenshot.
But the structural parts in my version I conjured up, I think it gives it more character then just caves with doorways :P Plus you can have an outside area :D Right now I'm working on animated lava for the last part of Red Cave. Thinking about using the bit to binary for a crust that will be around all the edges.
Ahh I see! That lava + steam + sound fx are very convincing indeed.
And the behavior of the lava in the (lavafall?) object and the inaccessable sloping tunnel ... :shock: 8-) ...brilliant!!
*checks to see if I remembered to pack my dragon skin boots* ;-)

My only & humble suggestion...
SpoilerShow
Not sure if this was your intention - but even in the latest video w adjusted lightning - I cant get away from how
the red crystals seem to stick out - they are quite jarring. The light adjusted pic maneus posted makes the red crystal formations more believable - is that a light component added to the red crystal object (not sure?). I reckon the added red light around the crystal would help ... Or ....perhaps adding smaller shards of red crystal to the areas surround the big crystals, similar to how the vanilla mine set does it w blue crystals(imvho)
Cant wait to check out your next release
(take your time ;) )
Yea your right about the crystals, its a scratch that I am itching right now lol.

I'm back now, I was out of town for a while, had to take care of some business with work. But all that's done and now I can finish Red Cave finally lol.